GS1100E Engine removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1100E Engine removal

Everything has been disconnected and I am ready to remove the engine from my 83 1100E. Before I do I figured I would check with you guy to see if there are hints or tips to getting it out of it's 1983 frame and into the 1980 Frame. I heard I could lay it down on its side to make it easier but I'm not sure how you would get the brackets removed from the ground side. Any input would be great.

Remove the breather cap on the top of valve-cover...

Comment

If you're reasonably fit and strong (no need for muscle bound!) or have got a mate who can help, it's easier to lift the motor out rather than lay it on its side.

Like HP said, either take off the breather cover or the whole valve cover to give yourself a bit more clearance then slightly jack up the motor (place a block of wood on the jack) as you remove the engine bolts. I have a 20" square wooden block that is around 1cm higher than the lower frame rails and I place this alongside the offside of the motor and lift / slide the whole thing over as a lump. Throw a towel over the frame to avoid scratching it.

If you use the bike on its side method you need to dump a load of thick blankets on the floor and lie the bike over - stripped of as much bodywork as you can. You need to remove the offside front and bottom brackets before leaning over or else you end up fiddling around trying to undo them mixed up in the blankets.
      79 GS1000S
      79 GS1000S (another one)
      80 GSX750
      80 GS550
      80 CB650 cafe racer
      75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
      75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

I live 30 minutes away. If you want help PM me and Ill be there.

Comment

If you are doing it by yourself, remove the breather cover or even the valve cover to make it easier. Remove ALL of the motor mounts & lay the bike over on it's RIGHT side & then lift the chassis off of it. It is easier, to ME, to have a friend help you lift the motor out of the frame while the bike is on the side stand. The motor comes out the RIGHT side. Ray.

Comment

Motor out!

Motor came right out. Thanks Guys.

Comment

Working...
            X