Tire Leaking at the Bead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tire Leaking at the Bead

Gang last week I replaced the valve core in my front tire (Thanks Leon) well I was going to take the bike to work today when I noticed the front tire is Flat again. Checked the stem via soap bubbles no leak. Then checked Bead and found several spots where the soap is just a bubbeling. My guess is that even though I made sure the tire was in the air when I replaced the core so as not to break the Bead it came lose a little any way. So should I
    A) replace the tire even though it has lots of life left & is only 2 years old?
    B) Break the whole tire down clean the rim Replace the valve stem?
    C) just try & reseat the bead with out doing any thing else?

I dont mind fighting the tire I just hate putting the pressure in it to set the bead ( I am a little bit of a chicken)

Pat

What did you use as a lubricant last time you mounted the tire?
    How old is this tire, date code?
    Sounds like remounting the old tire with the proper lube would be a good start.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Most people don’t clean the rim when they mount a new tire and over time a layer of rubber and corrosion build up which can cause the tire to leak. I’d pull the tire off, clean the rim really well and reinstall the tire using a proper tire lubricant – not common soap like many people use. Of course the depends on the age of the tire; if it’s more than 5 years old I’d ditch the tire and start fresh (after cleaning the rim of course).
      Last edited by Nessism; 09-18-2009, 09:46 PM.
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Cleaned rim but only used soap as lube.
        Tire is 2 years old per Date code.I think I will get lube and stem in the Am as well dont know when that was replaced last.

Thanks
        Pat

Comment

don't be afraid to put 50Lbs of air in it to seat the bead. don't forget to blead air out to proper level before putting the wheel back on

Comment

Originally posted by Gravity Tester View Post
            Cleaned rim but only used soap as lube.
            Tire is 2 years old per Date code.I think I will get lube and stem in the Am as well dont know when that was replaced last.

Thanks
            Pat
            In fairness, many tire installers use soap....perhaps even more than use all other lubricants.

The key to setting the bead remains the same: the rim MUST be clean.
            If it is not clean, you are likely to develop later problems, even when the tire leaves the shop fully inflated.

You need a stiff-bristle brush with a small head and you need to use it vigorously to clean the rim. Few people actually do it, but that is required to remove junk from the last tire, a thorough rinse should follow and these should be done with every installation.
            Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Some of these old bikes have quite a lot of gunk on the wheel. I use a wire brush in a drill and then a 3M abrasive pad to get the bead area as clean as possible. I have seen wheels that didn't look too bad leak at the bead and some that looked terrible that didn't leak......

Thanks,
              Joe
              IBA# 24077
              '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
              '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
              '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

Originally posted by argonsagas View Post
                You need a stiff-bristle brush with a small head and you need to use it vigorously to clean the rim. Few people actually do it, but that is required to remove junk from the last tire, a thorough rinse should follow and these should be done with every installation.
                I use a brass-bristle wire wheel in my drill. Just a light application does wonders.

I follow that up with a close inspection while using a Scotch-Brite pad to polish the seating area.

Then I use my diluted dish soap to lube the tire while I install it.

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thanks Gang It is done!! Setting that beed still scares me. I remembered that I never changed my own front tire only the rear twice actully wih help from my mentor. Well he was unavailable so did it by my self. You guys were right the inside of the rim was all gunked up Thanks. I actully go to take a trip down memory lane doing it . I could not get enough air in at the start & I rembered a trick my dad told me. Take a strap around the diameter of the tire tighten it up then try and put the air in. Worked like a dream. (See Dad I did Listen to you R.I.P.)

Pat

Comment

Originally posted by Gravity Tester View Post
                    Thanks Gang It is done!! Setting that beed still scares me. I remembered that I never changed my own front tire only the rear twice actully wih help from my mentor. Well he was unavailable so did it by my self. You guys were right the inside of the rim was all gunked up Thanks. I actully go to take a trip down memory lane doing it . I could not get enough air in at the start & I rembered a trick my dad told me. Take a strap around the diameter of the tire tighten it up then try and put the air in. Worked like a dream. (See Dad I did Listen to you R.I.P.)

Pat
                    Pat,

Another tip, if you didn't do it this way, is to remove the valve stem and use a nozzle attachment to inflate the tire. The valve stem restricts flow quite a bit and makes it harder to seat the bead.

Thanks,
                    Joe
                    IBA# 24077
                    '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
                    '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
                    '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

Working...
                    X