how much oil 85 gs 700 e

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how much oil 85 gs 700 e

does anyone know where the oil level should be on the site window with the bike straight up and down 1985 gs 700 e just not sure thanks for any input

There are two marks on the cover where the sight glass is located. The oil level should line up with the upper level mark on the cover. Oil level should always be between the lower and upper marks and it is best to keep it at the previously mentioned upper level mark. The measurement should be taken with the bike on the centerstand (and level ground) with the engine having been turned off for a few minutes in order to allow circulating oil to drain back into the oil pan.
    This is for a 1984 GS 750.

Comment

..............should have mentioned that your 85 700 oil level will measure up the same as the 84 750.

Comment

I will check again but I do remember you are NOT to use the center stand to check the oil, I believe i read it in the manual. It does make it hard to check if you are doing it by yourself, but yes fill to the upper mark while balancing it. Having someone help is the best way. Doesn't make any common sence to me either.

Comment

3.38 quarts at oil change

Comment

I've always checked mine on level ground while on the center stand and 109K miles later it hasn't complained about it.

With a filter change - it actually takes just a "smidge" over 4 quarts to fill it to the top mark on the sight glass.

Comment

The Suzuki service manual does indicate to have the bike on the centerstand when draining the oil and checking level once the oil has been replaced.
              Bottom of page 2.7 and top of 2.8 in the "Periodic Maintenance and Tune up Procedure" section.
              Had to get my son to help me do a somewhat complicated copy and paste and it should be attached when you guys see this post. Glad he was there to do this for me.

Mark whiz - your GS 700/750 has 109,000 miles on it??!!! Holy cow man that's great. Tell us more about...........what had the engine needed for work/repairs? Original head, pistons/rings, tranny etc. Please tell us what your secret is.

Comment

jetta90,

That's right, it's got a tick over 109K miles on it now. The bike has been a real gem - no major problems to speak of over the years. I've had to replace the stator every 30K to 35K miles, the regulator a couple times, probably about 5 or 6 sets of tires, 3 chain/sprocket sets, Float needles in the carbs a couple times and the whole needle/seat combination once (the crankcase got flooded with gas), 2 sets of fork seals, and the intake boot O-rings once (thanx to the good folks here pointing that need out). Otherwise - I just kept it's maintenance schedule religiously; cleaning, oil changes, cable and chain lubing, valve adjustments, etc. A bike is like a good woman - you take care of her and she will take care of you.

I think my biggest issue was my Ignition box that went "a little funny in the head" a couple years ago..................I scratched my head a bunch over the electrical system and finally bought a used box on E-Bay and damn - she started purring like she hadn't in a couple years.

I've had this girl since she came out of the box brand new in July of 1986 - have to say it is probably the best $3000 I ever spent in my life.
                Last edited by Guest; 09-30-2009, 12:56 AM.

Comment

My local dealer told me, in 1978, to never to check the oil with bike on the center stand. Now here 29 years later, I finally read the manua, I've read several manuals & all of them, Suzuki, Kawa., & Honda saw check the oil, on level ground, with bike ON CENTER STAND.
                  1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Well al I know is my bike has oil in it!! Just for my piece of mind I think I will call my local Suz/Honda/Yam/China/etc... and see what they say....

Comment

Working...
                    X