Which Petcock to choose?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which Petcock to choose?

I am looking for a vacuum petcock for my 1979 GS 750 L. I am wondering if anyone knows which of these will fit---or will either of them --on my bike?

Petcock (vacuum) Suzuki
    KL18-4359

- - - - - - - - -

Petcock (vacuum) 44mm bolt spacing (tap lever included)

Fits Suzuki GS450TZ/TXZ/ED GS750EX/EZ/ED/ESD/TZ/TD GS1100EX GS1150ES3/ESE/EF/ESF/EF2/EG/ESG

$41.60

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Petcock (vacuum) Suzuki
    KL18-4358

- - - - - - - -

Petcock (vacuum) 44mm bolt spacing (tap lever included) Compared to the KL18-4359 petcock below it has a higher fuel pick up tube which will allow the reserve to kick on soon and you will have more of a reserve.

Fits Suzuki GS300LZ/LD/LF GS450GAZ/GAD/GAF/LD/LF/LG/LH/LJ/TX/TXD GS550LX/LZ/MZ/TX GR650D/XD GS650EZ/GLX/GLZ/GLD/GZ/GD/MD GS700ES/ESF GS750LX/SD GS850GZ/GD/GLX.GLZ/GLD GS1000GLX/SZ GS1100 GZ/GLZ/GLD/GKZ/GK2/GKD/GKE/SD

$48.75

These are from Z1 and they seemed to be the closest fit I could find on the web

Thanks in advance for any help! I decided to stay with the vacuum type b/c I know I would not remember to turn off and on a Pingel type style

I believe either one will fit, verify the mounting holes on your fuel tank are spaced 44 mm (1.732" center-to-center) apart.

As the Z1 write up says, the 4358 will "run out of fuel sooner" but the up-side is your reserve is bigger because of the that.

Those "L" tanks are smaller than the other models, so it's your choice:

- Smaller effective fuel tank, more reserve... (4358)
    - Larger effective fuel tank, less reserve... (4359)

Mike
    '85 GS550L - SOLD
    '85 GS550E - SOLD
    '82 GS650GL - SOLD
    '81 GS750L - SOLD
    '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
    '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
    '82 GS1100G - SOLD
    '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

I got the 4358 and today ran out at 84 miles, and only took 2.7gal to fill. So the reserve is huge!! not sure how big my tank is though. I have an 81 750L.

Comment

Sounds like I am going for the 4359 if it will fit my tank

Thanks guys

Comment

Originally posted by outlawfox13 View Post
          I got the 4358 and today ran out at 84 miles, and only took 2.7gal to fill. So the reserve is huge!! not sure how big my tank is though. I have an 81 750L.
          Hi,

Most "L" modes have a gas tank that holds only about 3.5 gallons. That leaves you about a gallon in reserve. Sounds about right.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Basscliff

Have you heard of many going to an E gas tank for that reason? Will it fit? Or are there other alternatives out there---esp non steel ones to remove the rust challenge. I think I may have gotten some from my tank even though I did Kreem it. Hard to know if you got all the possible rust areas and it only takes a teeny bit to be sending you back to the tutorial on your site for another rebuild!

Thanks for your thoughts

Comment

Anyone have any input on this?

Hi guys

I cant be the only one with a rusty gas tank. Any body found any non steel tanks out there to swap for a GS 750 L. Maybe with a bit bigger size to it?

Thanks for any replies

Comment

Petcock Question

Does anyone know if the KL18-4358 petcock has the prime function? My stock 1980 GS550L petcock has not been opening once in a while. If I pull the vacuum hose off and suck on it the fuel begins to flow and I can drive again - no problem. Rather than rebuilding the petcock I'd like a new one with a prime function.

The stock petcock shows a pri position, but it doesn't let fuel flow unless it has a vacuum on it. Turning the slot in the petcock with a screwdriver actually doesn't do anything at all. It's really annoying to have to suck on the vacuum hose to get the bike to start when the gas dries out of the carbs (after not riding for 2 weeks or more).

Does the KL18-4358 petcock mount to the tank with the barbs for the gas line and vacuum line facing to the right or left when looking at the side of the tank?

Z1 Enterprises specializes in quality Motorcycle parts for Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Yamaha Classic Japanese motorcycles from the 1970's and 1980's.

Comment

Originally posted by cdaniel0808 View Post
                  Does anyone know if the KL18-4358 petcock has the prime function? My stock 1980 GS550L petcock has not been opening once in a while. If I pull the vacuum hose off and suck on it the fuel begins to flow and I can drive again - no problem. Rather than rebuilding the petcock I'd like a new one with a prime function.

The stock petcock shows a pri position, but it doesn't let fuel flow unless it has a vacuum on it. Turning the slot in the petcock with a screwdriver actually doesn't do anything at all. It's really annoying to have to suck on the vacuum hose to get the bike to start when the gas dries out of the carbs (after not riding for 2 weeks or more).
                  It only takes a brief puff of vacuum to get your petcock to PRIme.
                  Move it to the PRIme position, bump the starter, turn the key OFF while it PRImes.
                  Move the petcock back to the RUN position, start it, ride it.

No need to pull any hoses, just let your engine do the sucking to start the process.

sigpic
                  mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                  hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                  #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                  #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                  (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                    It only takes a brief puff of vacuum to get your petcock to PRIme.
                    Move it to the PRIme position, bump the starter, turn the key OFF while it PRImes.
                    Move the petcock back to the RUN position, start it, ride it.

No need to pull any hoses, just let your engine do the sucking to start the process.

...unless it's broken and the vacuum won't hold on prime (which is what goes wrong with the things).

The KL18-4358 tap won't fit as the mounting bolt spacing is wrong. In fact, the only 'standard' tap that'll fit your bike is what you've got on it already or fit an adaptor plate and the tap of your choosing.
                    79 GS1000S
                    79 GS1000S (another one)
                    80 GSX750
                    80 GS550
                    80 CB650 cafe racer
                    75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
                    75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

oh, thanks! I didn't know that the prime worked like that. I thought that it should allow the gas to free flow even without turning over the engine. My petcock handle is broken off I think. It only has a small slot that I need to put a screwdriver in. Any ideas of what I can use for a handle?

I have a picture, but I'm not sure how to post it here.

Comment

Why don't you make your own thread in the GS Owners section and introduce yourself. Then, Basscliff will come by to give you the official welcome and give you a lot of links to valuable information.
                        Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                        1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                        2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                        Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                        and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Would it be possible to widen the holes in the KL18-4358 to fit my hole spacing. It's 44mm and I assume that is center to center. My bolts are about 51mm and so it's only 7mm or about 1/4" off. If I could reem out the untapped holes on the KL18 without getting into the seal, it would work, but I can find a picture of the KL18 that shows the seal pattern.

Comment

Cdaniel, why don't you post up a new thread instead of continuously hijacking this very old one. This way, the two issues are kept separate and easier to follow along.
                            Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                            1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                            2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                            Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                            and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Sorry about posting to this old thread. I just did a search and it came up. I'll try to start a new one and transfer the discussion over there.

Comment

Working...
                              X