Spark Timing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spark Timing?

Maybe someone could clear up my confusion. I'm used to the wasted spark type of ignition where the plugs fire on the compression stroke and the exhaust stroke at the same time. Thus.. wasted spark. Is that the case with say the GS850. What confuses me is the two spark generators. If it is generating two different sparks, then there is two separate firings at different times? Does anyone understand my confusion? Gene

It's wasted spark. One coil files 1-4 & the other fires 2-3. There are two triggers 180 degrees apart that trigger one coil or the other.

Dan
    1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Yup, that's the way it is. You may have noticed two separate coils on the bike. They each fire two spark plugs. The coil on the left will fire 1&4, the coil on the right will fire 2&3. Each of those pairs are the ones that share the 'wasted spark' of which you speak. However, when 1&4 are on the bottom of their respective strokes, 2&3 are at the top of their strokes, just begging for their sparks. That's why there are two sets of triggers.

Still confused?

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

If all four coils aren't firing at the same then it is not what a "wasted spark" ignition that I am familar with does. I guess what is confusing me is the 180 degree firing. Does any cylinders fire on their exhaust stroke? Gene

Comment

all of them fire in the exhaust stroke at one time or another.
          think of it this way... on the two cylinders #1 and #4, #1 fires on the compression stroke while #4 fires in the exhaust stroke. when #4 is firing on the compression stroke, #1 is firing on the exhaust stroke.
          the same thing happens to the #2 and #3 cylinders.

Originally posted by genejohnson View Post
          If all four coils aren't firing at the same
          there are only two coils. each coil has two plug wires and each plug wire is connected to one end of the "coils" secondary. [spark plug]-[plug wire]-[coil secondary]-[plug wire]-[spark plug]

Bam!!! two plugs firing at one time... or is it zap?
          Last edited by rustybronco; 09-22-2009, 09:46 PM. Reason: cuz I wanted to...
          De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Always wondered, if you swap the #2 & #3 or the #1 & #4 plug wire location, shouldn't the bike run exactly as if wires were in the proper locations???
            1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips View Post
              Always wondered, if you swap the #2 & #3 or the #1 & #4 plug wire location, shouldn't the bike run exactly as if wires were in the proper locations???
              Yes. In fact, that is a common troubleshooting tool to see if it is a wire or a plug that is causing a problem.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

The timing is off the end of the crank, so it fires each revolution, not every other revolution like timing driven off the cam, which turnshalf as fast as the crank. Pistons 1 and 4 go up and down together, one on compression when the other is on exhaust. They fire at the same time. Pistons 2 and 3 go up and down together, one on compression when the other is on exhaust. They fire at the same time. So you should be able to see that each cylinder gets a spark on its exhaust stroke.
                sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Thanks everyone for the patience to grill the function into my aged ole skull. I pretty much understand it now. Gene

Comment

Grab all four wires in your hand and crank the engine.
                    You will understand what a wasted spark is.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                      Grab all four wires in your hand and crank the engine.
                      You will understand what a wasted spark is.
                      You're one sick dude!! But a very logical research approach.
                      The road to hell is paved with good intentions......................................

GS 850GN JE 894 10.5-1 pistons, Barnett Clutch, C-W 4-1, B-B MPD Ignition, Progressive suspension, Sport Demons. Sold
                      GS 850GT JE 1023 11-1 pistons. Sold
                      GS1150ES3 stock, V&H 4-1. Sold
                      GS1100GD, future resto project. Sold

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000001.jpg
                      http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000581.jpg

Comment

Working...
                      X