Need help with wiring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help with wiring

Problem with my GS850 L. When I try to start, no sounds at all. Battery is new and freshly charged. Lights come on strong. Think something may have come unplugged. One red cable and black cable running from the battery plug in to a rectangular piece of plastic, but nothing plugged into holes on other side. What does this plug into? Could not see very well as it was dark and very cramped. Any tips on how the three black battery cable and two red battery cables plug up would be great. Or is this some other kind of starting problem? Very frustrated at this point, please help!!!

Hit the kill switch. Pull in the clutch.
    82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Have you ever had the bike running?
      sigpic

82 GS850
      78 GS1000
      04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
      .................________-|___\____
      ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

That sounds like an accessory or more likely a battery charger plug.

Your
        sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Right...

I have had the bike running before. There was an attachment for a battery tender now that i think of it. What could cause my lack of start though? Don't even hear anything trying to start up, but lights are on... Maybe a fuse?

Comment

Originally posted by MBanks View Post
            I have had the bike running before. There was an attachment for a battery tender now that i think of it. What could cause my lack of start though? Don't even hear anything trying to start up, but lights are on... Maybe a fuse?
            Checking it wont hurt. Also could be the starter relay.
            Use a screwdriver and touch the two connectors on the relay. If it does anything at all your relay is ok.
            I'd check the switches on the bars, starter, kill and clutch.
            sigpic

82 GS850
            78 GS1000
            04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
            .................________-|___\____
            ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

Hi,

Have you downloaded a manual from my website? Sometimes looking at the wiring diagrams will help.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassClff

Comment

Originally posted by Octain View Post
                Checking it wont hurt. Also could be the starter relay.
                Use a screwdriver and touch the two connectors on the relay. If it does anything at all your relay is ok.
                I'd check the switches on the bars, starter, kill and clutch.
                If this does work check to see if the panel is still grounded, if not then put a ground from the relay mount to another ground or batt then try.

I had similar problem and could only start by jumping posts. Hope this helps.

Comment

Ok, got my bike started today and got her home. Ran the stator test, got 67-68 volts AC when through each stator wire while running at about 4000 rpm. Gotta get a different multimeter to do other two tests, mine doesnt read resistance. THink before one of my connections wasnt firm, I guess i'll see if the battery drains out again... Thanks for the help everyone, hope i won't be needing any more too soon!

Comment

Working...
                  X