GS1100GK - fairing removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1100GK - fairing removal

I have a GK that the fairing was removed from. I waould like a stock-looking setup for the headlight, like on a standard G model. I can get a standard headlight pot and light setup, but the ears (mounts) have me stumped. The GK forks are beefier than the standard size ones, and the headstock is wider. The chrome aftermarket 'cafe racer' headlight ears I have found are shaped to fit a fork with the diameter of my little finger. They COULD work, but would look like a bad bodge-up job. Has anyone found/discovered/adapted a set of fork ears from another make/model to fit this? Any advice appreciated!

Neil

Oh....
    Sounds like you have already discovered what I was going to tell you; that the GKfork tubes are larger diameter and are spaced further apart than a G.

No, I dont know what else might work. A few weeks back someone did post that they had found some other brand/model mounting ears that did work.

So, quess I am not telling you anything you didnt already know.

Say, You dont have the GK fairing mirrors availalble do you?

Last edited by Redman; 09-25-2009, 04:46 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Sorry, I stripped the fairing last fall and donated all the bits to another member on the GS Resources. He was happy!

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
        Oh....
        Say, You dont have the GK fairing mirrors availalble do you?
        Dave, you don't want them. Some of the magazine reviewers back in the 80's actually put on bar mirrors during their review rides. The fairing mirrors functioned so poorly as to be unsafe. You have to remove the mirrors from the fairing to adjust them. They are one of the worst implementations ever attempted on a motorcycle. They look nice but they have zero function.
        Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Comment

Originally posted by TitanNeil View Post
          I have a GK that the fairing was removed from. I waould like a stock-looking setup for the headlight, like on a standard G model. I can get a standard headlight pot and light setup, but the ears (mounts) have me stumped. The GK forks are beefier than the standard size ones, and the headstock is wider. The chrome aftermarket 'cafe racer' headlight ears I have found are shaped to fit a fork with the diameter of my little finger. They COULD work, but would look like a bad bodge-up job. Has anyone found/discovered/adapted a set of fork ears from another make/model to fit this? Any advice appreciated!

Neil
          Simple solution: Get yourself a triple tree off the G model, any model GS850G, GS1000G, or GS1100G. Any of them will fit in the frame of your GK.

Then you can get forks for any of those G bikes, and the fork ears. Don't worry about the brakes or the wheels. With shorter bolts, the calipers will fit with no problem.

I hit a deer on my stock GK back in 2001. The only casualty was (besides me with broken ribs, etc), the GK triple tree. So I used the triple tree off an old 850, bought some forks off a 79 GS850G, and everything worked great.

Replaced the stock GK fairing with a Vetter Windjammer IV with lowers. That bike is still running, by the way, with well over 130,000 miles.

Nick Diaz
          Middletown, MD

Comment

That seems like an awfully expensive and roundabout way to mount a headlight! I would have to replace the triples, forks AND front fender (pretty sure it is different too)...
            I think i'll just fabricate something and paint it black.

Comment

Newer bikes have thicker forks, you might spend an hour at a wrecking yard and come up with some ears that fit.

I bet you could hog out the big holes in a set of GS ears made for 37mm forks.

Maybe replace that rubber grommet with something else.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

That seems like an awfully expensive and roundabout way to mount a headlight! I would have to replace the triples, forks AND front fender (pretty sure it is different too)...
                I think i'll just fabricate something and paint it black.
                These parts are easy to find, and they're cheap. It's easy to do, and certainly not roundabout. If I remember right, I spent a total of $400, and that included the Windjammer fairing and parts for it.

You're correct about the fender. I had to replace that too. All parts were used, either from my own parts bin, or I located them on eBay or locally.

You wanted a suggestion, so you got it. Don't think it's a good suggestion? Well, your loss...

Comment

No offence meant, it is just that everything is all together ready to go (fork & fender-wise) and the bracket is the last thing. I think WILL source a set of 850 fork ears (your post reminded me that I know where there's a parts bike!) and just doctor them to fit. I might have to pull out the old zinc plating kit afterwards, but a little bench work seems easier (and cheaper) than major front end work.
                  I did appreciate the post, thanks.

Comment

Good luck to you, TitanNeil.

Nick Diaz
                    Middletown, MD

Comment

No offence meant, it is just that everything is all together ready to go (fork & fender-wise) and the bracket is the last thing. I think WILL source a set of 850 fork ears (your post reminded me that I know where there's a parts bike!) and just doctor them to fit. I might have to pull out the old zinc plating kit afterwards, but a little bench work seems easier (and cheaper) than major front end work.
                      I did appreciate the post, thanks.
                      I did the same thing you are trying to do and found a headlight and dog ears off of a Kawasaki. I'm pretty sure it was a 1300, but don't know exactly which model. It as a huge rectangle shaped headlight and the fork ears sipped right over the GK forks.

Edit...I gotta quit posting late at night. I read them in the morning and can't believe the spelling errors. Probably a KZ1300...It HAS a ....and SLIPPED over the fork tubes. Sorry
                      Last edited by Guest; 09-28-2009, 09:36 AM. Reason: spelling errors. Model # added

Comment

Simple solution found. Apparently many Harley forks are 41mm, like the Suzuki GK model. Lots of aftermarket fork ears there! Also, aside from the 'universal' cheapy chromed stamped-steel ears, there is at least one that makes a solid aluminum clamp that is highly polished and looks really, really good. My friend had one (wrong size, but good to check out) and is ordering a proper set in for me. Problem solved!

So, older Harleys and apparently some BMW oilhead bikes have 41mm fork tubes.

Comment

Originally posted by dpep View Post
                          Dave, you don't want them. Some of the magazine reviewers back in the 80's actually put on bar mirrors during their review rides. The fairing mirrors functioned so poorly as to be unsafe. You have to remove the mirrors from the fairing to adjust them. They are one of the worst implementations ever attempted on a motorcycle. They look nice but they have zero function.
                          As much as I like and respect Don, I have to disagree. Since he 1st posted his comments re: the GK mirrors, I have been paying more attention to the ones on mine. IMHO, they are VERY good! I put 160 miles on mine today and checked them at various speeds. At NO time could I not see clearly. Maybe mine is not like the rest but I'm here to tell you that I have NO complaints with them. Please forgive me, Don.
                          Willie
                          Common sense has become so uncommon that I consider it a super power.

Present Stable includes:
                          '74 GT750 Resto-mod I've owned since '79
                          '83 GS1100E (The best E I've ever enjoyed, Joe Nardy's former bike)
                          '82 GS1100G Resto project

Comment

i have a left mirror but no right. the right side was busted when i laid it over. the whole fairing might go on ebay

Comment

Working...
                            X