Fuel in Exhaust - left prime on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuel in Exhaust - left prime on

If one was to have left the tank on prime by accident, and then went to start the bike a few days later and there was fuel in exhaust pipe, is it safe to assume that the oil in engine has also been compromised ?

The oil level when checking does not look at all higher (or not significantly), but I'm sure it doesn't take much to foul the oil.

anyone know how to check ? or is the next best step to not start or ride bike until draining and changing filter ?

how different is a little fuel in oil as opposed to seafoam or star-tron ?

thanks ...

Last edited by Guest; 09-27-2009, 05:32 PM.

change the oil
    I didnt do it I swear !!

--------------------------
    1982 GS850G

1980 GS1100L

Comment

Also pull the spark plugs and make sure the cylinders are dry before cranking. If the fuel got to the exhaust it had to have filled a cylinder. If you try cranking it with a cylinder than it full you risk bending a rod.

Comment

I'm not sure that 'compromised' is the proper word.

I would look for something more like 'contaminated', 'fouled', 'ruined', 'destroyed' or something similar.

One possible good point, though, if your float valves are in good condition, they might have held back the gas. After all, that's their job.
        The vacuum petcock is just there so the float valves don't have to work full-time, just when the bike is running.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
        X