Dismantling of the carbs on GS750EX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dismantling of the carbs on GS750EX

OK so I took my carbs apart on my '81 GS750EX per the "carb cleanup series" Things didn't go very smoothly, but nothing ever does. First carb, I ripped the bowl gasket to shreds, but everything else went fine. Second carb, learned from 1st and salvaged the gasket. Instead, I ended up having to use a drill bit and easy-out on the pilot jet. Third carb, salvaged gasket and pilot jet but may have screwed up threads a little on needle jet. Fourth carb, I am now an expert as everything went smooth. So, what I thought I would do was buy 1 rebuild kit and it would include everything that I needed. Wrong!!! I can't seem to find the "Y-4" needle jet for sale anywhere. I also couldn't find the air screw anywhere on the carbs. It looks as though the location of the air screw is blocked off.
    1. Any suggestions as to where to get a Y-4 needle jet or would it be cheaper to buy a tap and die set?
    2. Would a carb rebuild kit have the "same as stock" main jet and pilot jet?
    3. Do my carbs have an air screw?
    Thanks for your assistance,
    Jason

Common wisdom of the GSR is to get an O-ring kit from cycleorings.com and reuse all your stock Mikuni brass parts. Those carb kits are full of substandard junky parts, plus they are incomplete and typically don't include critical parts such as the fuel transfer tube O-rings.

You might want to check Z1 Enterprises for the carb parts you need. Don't be afraid to call them if you don't see what you need on the web site. As for the pilot screws, they are located under a metal cap. There are hundreds of threads here detailing all these things so when in doubt the search function is your friend - the answer is there just waiting for you to find it.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I may have a needle jet. I'll look. I also have a few gaskets.
      What size pilot jets do you need?
      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Hey Chef, the stock pilot jet size, which I believe these to be, is a 42.5. I would definitely be interested if you find that you have the needle jet. Just PM me and let me know how much you want for them. As for the O-rings, cycleorings.com is #1 on my list, and if I buy a rebuild kit, it'll be from Z1.
        Last edited by Guest; 09-29-2009, 01:27 AM.

Comment

I believe that I have the pilot jet repaired (tap and die) I got my dip today and am getting ready to remove the air screw caps. I am curious as to whether these plastic washers on the throttle part of the carb are ok to dip, or do I need to take the carbs further apart???

Comment

Yep, safe to dip.

By the way, even the carb kits from Z1 might contain questionable parts.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Right now, I think all I need is one 42.5 pilot jet and one bowel gasket. I figured that I might as well replace all four of each. I think that I can get all of these from Dennis Kirk. I'm also thinking that I may need a set of float needles. The little pin on mine won't budge. I'm assuming these are supposed to "spring" in and out. We'll see if the Berryman's helps at all
              Last edited by Guest; 09-29-2009, 09:22 PM.

Comment

"There are hundreds of threads here detailing all these things so when in doubt the search function is your friend - the answer is there just waiting for you to find it." -Nessism-
                Are there any tips on searching and not coming up with 500 results every time

Comment

Originally posted by Stikman View Post
                  Right now, I think all I need is one 42.5 pilot jet and one bowel gasket. I figured that I might as well replace all four of each. I think that I can get all of these from Dennis Kirk. I'm also thinking that I may need a set of float needles. The little pin on mine won't budge. I'm assuming these are supposed to "spring" in and out. We'll see if the Berryman's helps at all

The carb dip should free up the float needles just fine - inspect the "pointy" end & look for a groove around the end, that's when you need to replace them.

Z1 sells the pilot jets, give them a call & see what they have in stock. I just bought four 47.5 pilots from them myself. Most of the time I just order the float bowl gaskets from a dealer.
                  '85 GS550L - SOLD
                  '85 GS550E - SOLD
                  '82 GS650GL - SOLD
                  '81 GS750L - SOLD
                  '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
                  '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
                  '82 GS1100G - SOLD
                  '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

Originally posted by Stikman View Post
                    Are there any tips on searching and not coming up with 500 results every time
                    Use the Advanced Search function and use Titles Only. Search on key words.

BTW, do not dip that carb until you remove that pilot screw cap and the screw underneath.

This forum contains old posts which may have information which may be useful. It is a closed forum in that you can not post here any longer. Please post your questions in the other technical forums.
                    Last edited by Nessism; 09-29-2009, 10:31 PM.
                    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I'll check with them for the pilot jets. I'll probably just get the gaskets from them too. I stopped by the "local" Suzuki dealer a couple weeks ago and he is going out of business...no longer selling parts. I suppose I'll have to wait a while for a local dealer. Maybe I can start up a dealership myself. Oh, I did manage to get all of the caps off and screws out. I drilled a small hole and used a screw to pull them out. Do I need to replace those caps? A rubber plug may make things easier in the future

Comment

PM me a reminder of the parts I'm looking for.
                        I just installed a motor and have been busy.
                        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

This place sells OEM parts at very resonable prices... good resource.

No need to plug those holes over the mixture screws - you will be adjusting them a few times after you get things back together & running.
                          '85 GS550L - SOLD
                          '85 GS550E - SOLD
                          '82 GS650GL - SOLD
                          '81 GS750L - SOLD
                          '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
                          '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
                          '82 GS1100G - SOLD
                          '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

Working...
                          X