GS1000 Flywheel removal..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1000 Flywheel removal..

Does anyone know the size of the internal threads on the large flywheel?
    I think it's M16x1.5 but i want to double check before I go bolt hunting again.

I tried the swing arm pivot bolt trick but it's bigger than that..

The pivot bolt worked great on the small flywheel in the GS750 though.. A 1/4 drive ratchet 4" extension makes a great spacer too.

Got a M16x1.5 bolt at Tacoma Screw (industrial bolt supply shop).. Ace Hardware failed me. They don't stock fine thread in 16mm.

More info when I get home from work.

Comment

Our local honda dealer also stocks the male style (bolt) pullers for about $9. Unfortunately I found this out after buying the $60 female style one.

Comment

Originally posted by Arkmage View Post
        Our local honda dealer also stocks the male style (bolt) pullers for about $9. Unfortunately I found this out after buying the $60 female style one.
        Yeah Motion pro Part # 08-0027 m16x1.5 puller

Local shop would need to order it.. They don't do a lot of metric bike stuff.. the other shop that might have stocked it just filed chapter 11 and locked the doors..

Bolt store had what I needed and it only cost $2.50

Comment

It worked perfectly..
          Put the 1/4 drive extension into the crank screw in the 16mm bolt and put the socket to it... All I did was put the bike in gear, hold the rear brake and give the breaker bar a good twist..

The flywheel popped off without to much trouble and I mean popped.. It jumped off the bike about a foot

As suspected my starter clutch bolts were sheared but the clutch is fine.

Comment

Could you run that by me one more time. Sounds too good to be true. Will this work on my 83 1100E?

Comment

Originally posted by madbikebreaker View Post
              Could you run that by me one more time. Sounds too good to be true. Will this work on my 83 1100E?
              this information/puller type does not apply to your motorcycle.

Comment

removing flywheel..easy..

hi guys... i,ve got a 1980 gs1000e ,the thread in the centre is 16mm.. i bought a 16mm x 50or 45long hex head set screw from a bolt supply not a cheap 1 as they are rubbish and then a little light grease on the set screw..and with the use of a rattle gun in it went and bounced off the flywheel ,, make shore the taper is free of scuffs and nice and clean when you re-assemble it ,,hope this helps regards david

Comment

Working...
                X