Oil Drain plug

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil Drain plug

Hey everyone. changed the oil on the GS 1100 last week since it was due and had been noticing a drip leak off of it over the last months since getting it from the PO, and now i see that the plug was a two piece brass unit. Now i 'm not sure if this is the stock unit or something that the PO installed. Regardless the oil crush washer that i got from bike bandit that they listed for the 1980 GS 1100E will not work and am wondering a good way to seal the two piece plug and the leak.

Thanks,
    Jarred

The 8 valve 1100 has a removal oil pan. Remove it, and replace it with a good standard, single piece drain plug configuration. i assume the 16 valve is similar?

Comment

I'm assuming that your threads got stripped out and someone did a temporary fix with parts from Depot's
      plumbing department. How do I know, I had to do the same thing to replace the oil plug that was in mine. It had a 4'' long bolt cross threaded in place of the oil plug. Actually the brass works well if you use oil/gas teflon tape on the threads and a o-ring. A proper fix is in order, but it will work for a while if you are careful and change the o-ring (also in the Plumbing Dept.) with each oil change. The o-ring will keep you from tightening it too much. The point is, a standard part is not going to work for you, and the question should be "How to repair a stripped out oil plug".
      '78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Originally posted by OldVet66 View Post
        "How to repair a stripped out oil plug".
        That would be accomplished by going to Auto Zone or your other favorite auto parts store and finding an oversize plug. They come in a +1 or a +2 oversize, you will likely only need the +1, if this is the first time. The plug will cut its own threads, so put some grease on the plug, thread it in gently, pull it back out, clean off the grease and all the aluminum shavings that just got cut. Put the plug back in with a new washer and you are good to go.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I had a heck of a time trying to find an oversize drain plug for my particular drain. What I ended up doing was using silicone sealant (which was what the PO did as well), which will keep me until the next oil change.

I then was able to find an oil pan for the 550 for under $20, which I'll replace sooner rather than later.

Finding things that have been stripped is really starting to get frustrating. lol.

Comment

Yeah I just replaced my oil pan also because of a stripped hole. Not really all that hard except for the darn bolt that snapped off on the exaust.
            I didnt do it I swear !!

--------------------------
            1982 GS850G

1980 GS1100L

Comment

sounds like i will doing what most of you have done. i think my buddy has a spare oil pan i could snatch if the oversize plug proves to be hard to find, and yes those broken exhaust bolts are a pain!

Comment

Pepboys do rubber bungs that strike me as a better "temp fix" than silicon or other bodges.

As you tighten the bolt it mushrooms the bung so it can't come back out & seals the hole.

Dan
                1980 GS1000G - Sold
                1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Again I have to agree with Steve. Actually really fixing the problem is always the best way to go. Just imagine yourself riding, enjoying yourself, and suddenly the oil drain plug bolt let's go. That's a hugely bad day for both you and your bike...if either of you survive it

If you want bandaid advice again until you can and should fix it right like Steve has given you the right way to do it, what you can do in meantime is ify. Depends on 2 things: how bad is it leaking? and How bad is nut stripped? And the two are usually a function of each other. If the nut is stripped (and leaking) but not too badly stripped (i.e. you can tighten it a bit at least and the leak is pretty much only an occasional drip), you can "prolong" the repair possibly using a few winds of plumbers teflon tape.

Will NOT last long tho, so plan on actually fixing the problem as per Steve...great advice and doing a "self-tapping" deal (like Steve says) is infinitely easier than actually tapping and/or heli-coiling/perma-threading.

Comment

if you have a spair oil pan, with a good plug, change it. then take the old one hand have the old pans plug hole welded. then get a tap the right size and retap it. a good fix is better than a cheep one.

Comment

I replaced my original drain plug with a +1 oversize from Auto Value (make sure you get metric and not SAE) when mine stripped out, it's been doing the job just fine. If you want to do the rubber bung method they have those too.

Comment

Don't use the expanding rubber plug. I put one on a fixer-upper GS1100 in my workshop, filled it up, rode it around. Next morning I came in to find the metal clamp on the bung had let go during the night. 4 litres or so of oil on the shop floor is a big mess, not to mention that it could have happened on the test ride. Don't trust anything but the original setup - fix it right.

Comment

HI all, names Mike. New here, my first post.
                          Just bought an 82 gs750t. changed plugs, brakes, air filter and started oil change to find out the oil pan is striped.
                          Stumbled on this old thread while doing some research.
                          Before I remove my oil pan and replace or tap for new drain plug id like to try and find a "+1" drain plug.
                          So my question is, Does anyone know what the stock Metric thread size is?
                          Tried depot, ace, auto z. with no luck. Got 1-2 more local places to try before im out of luck.
                          Thanks all.
                          Mike

Comment

Originally posted by MotorMike View Post
                            HI all, names Mike. New here, my first post.
                            Just bought an 82 gs750t. changed plugs, brakes, air filter and started oil change to find out the oil pan is striped.
                            Stumbled on this old thread while doing some research.
                            Before I remove my oil pan and replace or tap for new drain plug id like to try and find a "+1" drain plug.
                            So my question is, Does anyone know what the stock Metric thread size is?
                            Tried depot, ace, auto z. with no luck. Got 1-2 more local places to try before im out of luck.
                            Thanks all.
                            Mike
                            The answer is in the archives...only I'm too lazy to dig it out for you.
                            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

found what I needed. Thread found was about a 78gs750 but I would imagine it's the same size for my 82gs?
                              14x1.25 stock, +1 recamended is 14x1.5
                              Mow just have to find a auto store that stocks them.

Comment

Working...
                              X