No announcement yet.

Different methods of wheel alignment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Your angle is 1/8" on each flat side of the angle? Of course it won't be straight.

Mine is 1/8" thick & about 1.5" across the flats. Makes it much harder to bend & much more likely to be straight.

Measured with a laser level it comes out straight...... Measuring the swingarm to axle pivot centres also back up what I've done with it so far.

Should be good I could probably put it on Ed's flat table to really check it...

Ultimate test will be riding the bike & inspecting the sprockets as the rear is powdercoated so should be pretty easy to see if it's out one way or the other.

Dan
    Last edited by salty_monk; 10-15-2009, 01:45 AM.
    1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
      Mine is 1/8" thick & about 1.5" across the flats. Dan
      Mine is close to the same. Mine is 1" wide on a side, 1/8" thick material and it is square root of two on the diagonal.

And when you site down it it bends.

For chain alignment it is straight enough for wheel alignment, you had better pull out the "little ruler of the Pyramids".
      Last edited by posplayr; 10-15-2009, 01:57 AM.

Comment

Explore JC Whitney for premium auto parts & accessories, dive into car culture, & stay updated with the latest automotive events & tech trends

for chain alignment

Comment

Those are only 18".. I needed something longer. Might pick one of those up though, they're cheap enough.

Dan
          1980 GS1000G - Sold
          1978 GS1000E - Finished!

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
            Those are only 18".. I needed something longer. Might pick one of those up though, they're cheap enough.

Dan

eight, not 18 so they're even shorter! but it's not hard to eyeball it after you have something longer sticking out. or maybe just fit a longer rod in there or to it??? I don't know. it was just a suggestion. I think i'm going to pick one up.

Comment

Made my own from some angle to reach all the way to the front sprocket. If I was just using it for setup rather than trying to measure sprocket offsets on my project 750 I would have gone for one of these.

Dan
              1980 GS1000G - Sold
              1978 GS1000E - Finished!

Comment

Working...
              X