Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for a compression tester that would fit the bike.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for a compression tester that would fit the bike.

Looking for a compression tester to test my newly bought bike.
    I have a 1982 GS750e and was wondering if the one by harbor freight tools will work since the one that AUTOZONE has to loan doesn't fit the spark plug holes. Will this work or does anyone have any other ideas????

THANX.

Yes that one is fine, I have one, it fits.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Awesome. That's good enough for me, TKent.

Anything else good that Harbor got that's useful for the bike?

Comment

Trickle chargers, horns, lots of tools, some are even of adequate quality for occasional use.

I have a few of their spray guns that work OK, I would want better if I painted stuff full time but for one or two bikes a year they seem fine.

I get a lot of things there that are not going to be used very often. Welder, etc.

Be careful, some of the junk they sell is absolutely worthless.

Take some time, look around.

I have that comp tester because someone left it here, I have compared the readings to my Craftsman, can't tell any difference.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post

I have that comp tester because someone left it here, I have compared the readings to my Craftsman, can't tell any difference.

Thanx. Definitely will get it. at $10 how can u go wrong, right?

Comment

Disappointed

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
            Yes that one is fine, I have one, it fits.

Hey TKent02,

got my compression tester the other day from Harbor Freight tools and it DOESN'T fit ! What gives? Maybe I have different diameter spark plugs than you do?

mine came with a 14mm and 12mm adaptors but they're both too big to screw into the block. Can anyone tell me where I can get just the adapter to fit onto the compression tester and then into the block?

Thanks!!

Comment

correct me if I'm wrong but 2v motors should be 14mm (13/16 socket) and the 4v's are 12mm (5/8 socket) right?

Comment

The compression tester I bought from Advanced Auto has several different sized adapters for the various sized plug holes...

Bring the HF one back & get a better one.
                '85 GS550L - SOLD
                '85 GS550E - SOLD
                '82 GS650GL - SOLD
                '81 GS750L - SOLD
                '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
                '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
                '82 GS1100G - SOLD
                '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

Originally posted by MakDad View Post
                  mine came with a 14mm and 12mm adaptors but they're both too big to screw into the block.
                  Info per your harbor freight link... "Fits 14mm and 18mm spark plug holes"

it would seem what you might need is the 12mm adaptor.
                  what part number spark plug fits the bike?

I have a compression tester not unlike the one in your link. it came with the 12,14 and 18mm adaptors.
                  De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

i picked one up at sears that works with an adaptor. hey, just trying to do my part to keep them open. if they go bust, i'll have nowhere to get my wrenches and sd's replaced.

Comment

This one has the 12mm adapter..

HF 15% off coupon.. good tomorrow through the 9th

HF 20% off coupon

They have also been putting some good 20% off coupons in Magazines.. My new copy of sport rider has a 20% off that is good until march.
                      Last edited by Guest; 11-04-2009, 05:14 PM.

Comment

My mistake, DUUUHH. The tester DID come with 14 and 18 mm adaptors, but I guess I need the one that's 12 mm.

The plugs I got are D8EA. As far as returning the tester, I think I'll pay more for shipping it back than I spent on it. I'll try to find just the adapter online to see if anyone sells it individually.

Thanks for all the info.
                        Last edited by Guest; 11-04-2009, 06:12 PM.

Comment

I can mail you the adapter, just mail it back when you're done.
                          De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Hey guys I have an 82 GS650G, do i have the 12mm also?

If so, im getting that harbor freight deal.
                            (i'd be happy to loan it out, if someone needed it)

I have not done a compression test on her yet......never realized they were important until i read about it.

Comment

Working...
                            X