• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mystery turn signal problem

Here goes:

Right turn signal turn on, and rarely flash
    Left turn signal won't turn on.

I have swapped sides with the wires and the right turn signal switch on will turn on the left, so no bulb issues or ground issues. I just swapped sides with the wires under the seat and in the headlight.

I checked the indicator bulbs in the dash and both are good. I checked all connections in the headlight, and near the battery, and all wires are properly connected.

I bought a second handlebar control switch, and same thing - no left side turn signal.

I even removed the control signal control box and jumpered the wires - once again right side works, not the left.

Any and all suggestions or advice is welcomed --> HELP!

1979 GS1000L

Thanks Guys!

I went through a great deal of problems with my signals recently. First off if it has self canceling lights unplug the box that controles that. The signals should work without it. Mine do just fine. Next. Make sure all of the bulbs are 12v 23w bulbs. This system will work with any bulbs from 12w up to 36w. The only difference will be how fast they flash. But 23w is the stock bulb. Also make sure all bulbs have a good ground. Run dedicated grounds for each bulb If you have to. I don't know what flashers will work with this system thow. I have only had luck with stock flashers. Check fuses and the stock wiring and all connections including where the bulbs go into the sockets.

Comment

Are you testing your signals with the engine running? What is your battery voltage when you are testing the signals?

May not seem like much, but the turn signals are rather voltage-dependant. Even with the engine running, if you are at a stop light and have the brake on, there might not be enough to flash the signals. Either take the brake off or run the engine just a little faster (about 1500 rpm) and they will probably flash. If you are simply turning the key on and checking the signals, you might have as much as 12 volts if you have a good battery or it could be considerably less.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by piester View Post
        I went through a great deal of problems with my signals recently. First off if it has self canceling lights unplug the box that controles that. The signals should work without it. Mine do just fine. Next. Make sure all of the bulbs are 12v 23w bulbs. This system will work with any bulbs from 12w up to 36w. The only difference will be how fast they flash. But 23w is the stock bulb. Also make sure all bulbs have a good ground. Run dedicated grounds for each bulb If you have to. I don't know what flashers will work with this system thow. I have only had luck with stock flashers. Check fuses and the stock wiring and all connections including where the bulbs go into the sockets.
        I did remove the box during my troubleshooting and the same thing happens. I will reground the bulb sockets and give it a try.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
          Are you testing your signals with the engine running? What is your battery voltage when you are testing the signals?

May not seem like much, but the turn signals are rather voltage-dependant. Even with the engine running, if you are at a stop light and have the brake on, there might not be enough to flash the signals. Either take the brake off or run the engine just a little faster (about 1500 rpm) and they will probably flash. If you are simply turning the key on and checking the signals, you might have as much as 12 volts if you have a good battery or it could be considerably less.
          Well, you got me on this one. I just had the key on. I'll give it a try running and post back.

Comment

Make sure all the stalks are grounded.
            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
            1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

I started thinking about the posts and my response, which i did quickly from my office yesterday.

Guys - I switched the right and left 'hot' wires at the rear signals, and the same with the front inside the headlight. When I then switched the turn signal to the RIGHT the left worked. So everything is grounded, all the bulbs are correct, so somewhere from the switch to the harness something is amiss.

I have replaced switches still the left will not work. Any ideas? What is the likelihood of having 2 handlebar control switches that will not operate on the left side?

I also removed the control box and jumpered the wires to see if it was the box. IF you DISconnect the box the turn signals will NOT work! In response to the first response.

HELP!

Comment

Did you measure the battery voltage while you were trying the signals? Either get the bike running so the voltage is up, or connect with jumper cables to a non-running car (just using the larger battery's reserve capacity) and try again.

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                  Did you measure the battery voltage while you were trying the signals? Either get the bike running so the voltage is up, or connect with jumper cables to a non-running car (just using the larger battery's reserve capacity) and try again.
                  Brand new battery and bike was running yesterday. The battery also charges fine. I have put 300 miles on the bike with much starting of the engine. The charging system is stellar.

The left turn signals work when controlled by the right side of the handlebar control unit.

Comment

turn signal problem

Hi there,
                    I had a problem with my turn signals recently, the left signal would come on but would not flash and the right signal would not come on.I took off both signal lens and found that the bulb holder itself was loose and causing it to ground.A simple rubber washer to hold the bulb steady done the job.After two months still working.

Comment

The turn signal control units on the '78/'79 1000's are known to fail. Sounds like a bad TSCU to me. They're sensitive to vibration. If you do replace it I suggest mounting it with an inch of quality foam between it and the battery casing.
                      A new unit is very expensive. Last I looked they were approx' $300-$350. Used can be had for much less, especially if the seller doesn't realise how much they go for new. Some just look at it as a "little black box" and let them go cheap.
                      The factory manual states how to test them but I don't know the procedure. There's no over the counter-test that I know of if you buy a used one.
                      There's info around here about by-passing the box and it takes a bar switch from the 750 model and some changes to the wiring. It then operates as a fully manual system. Some go that route.
                      If you decide to stay stock and a used one doesn't help, I have 3 NOS units if you're interested for a fraction of the dealer cost.
                      And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
                      Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Here's a thought..have you tried cleaning the handle bar switch?

Comment

Working...
                        X