Newbie with questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbie with questions

Hey guys, Im another new guy here, found this site 3 days ago and have spent hours so far reading an learning and I am very impressed with this site. I have been out of bikes for a few years, and never did much to my other bikes so Im still new to alot of stuff.(Car and trucks are my life work and play) I got a chopper project thats just in the basic stages and I am picking up my new toy tomorrow. Its what looks to be a 1981 GS550E. Serial tag says GS550E, and looking at pics here it def looks to be an 81. My questions concern gettting this thing running, and then onto modding it. It has been sitting since the 90s, outside. The carbs are off the bike, freshly rebuilt Mikunis wrapped in plastic when I bought it. The motor turns freely and everything is there, Its a guy I work with, he didnt know any details about it, it was his dad's who passed away. It has 14k on it but other then sitting seems to be in mint shape. the tires even have air in them still. Question is, what would be your steps in trying to get this running. Im worried since it sat with no cabrs on it for well over 15 years, but its turns 100% fine. So if someone can point me in the right direction with a place to get the regular stuff (plugs wires etc etc) or part numbers where I can try to order them through my work that would be awesome, Also any and everything I need to look out for and do to get this thing sound. Sorry for the novel, this is my start on these bikes, as I learn more and get more done on the bike, I;ll ask more

Welcome to the GSR, a truely GREAT place. First thing I would do is to pull the plugs and get the pistons to line up at mid stroke. Get some Marvil Mystery oil and fill the cylinder to the top of the plug holes, leaving the plugs out. Let it sit that way until you've done everything else ie. brakes, cables, electrical clean up and dielectric grease on ALL...ALL the connections, first. May take you a few days. Check the oil level in the cylinders daily.

After completion of all the basics, drain the crankcase oil, use a suction bulb and remove the remaining MM oil from the cylinders. Install a new set of plugs, mount the carbs (ONLY IF YOU'RE SURE THAT THEY ARE PERFECTLY CLEAN) add fuel to the tank (after seeing no rust inside the tank), test the petcock for flow, install a new battery, add 1/4 ounce of 2-cycle mix to the plug holes reinstall the plugs and hit the starter.

It will fire.....

Comment

Thats exactly what I was was looking for, I plan on looking at all the details alot more once I get it here. Tank has something for liquid in it, I heard some sloshing when I was moving the bike around the other day, I've been thinking of using kreme or however you spell it, they sell a 3 part kit to de-rust, clean, prep and coat a tank, I saw on ebay, And since my passion and schooling is all in paint/body/custom fab. I will get the tank all shaved up cleaned up etc at the same time. I will also be stripping it down and rewiring and hiding everything and making a new seat (I do fiberglass work in my sleep) I am very very anal about details, I have a bagged truck project that everything is rewired and perfect on, and thats what I plan for this bike

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. ShortyzKustomz,

You'll find lots of GS lovin' on my website, enough to keep you busy for a while. Let me say "Hi"...

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", the Carb Rebuild Series, and the Stator Papers. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

First thing after soaking the cylinders in MMO I'd check compression.
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

I got it home tonight, Im soo excited. Seat was rusted to hell so it blew off on the interstate haha. Air box is filled with a rats nest, and I've found that lowering this thing will be needed, If you havent figured, Im short (5'2) With no seat on the bike both feet dont touch. I rode my Ninja that way for a while before I slammed it, and it was a pain. What model plugs are you guys running in a 550? I looked at work and it says a NGK something 8ES. Also Im going to look for vendors and try to get some part numbers and cross them at work. Youd be suprised what Autozone can get you, on my Ninja and my CL450 I got tons of parts using part numbers and ordering it in.

Also anyone have a part number for a Haynes or equivelent manual...I know I can get those
            Last edited by Guest; 10-23-2009, 09:15 PM.

Comment

Few pics before it got dark

Comment

Originally posted by ShortyzKustomz View Post
                What model plugs are you guys running in a 550? I looked at work and it says a NGK something 8ES. Also Im going to look for vendors and try to get some part numbers and cross them at work. Youd be suprised what Autozone can get you, ...
                Hopefully they can get you the NGK B8ES plugs that you need.

Not sure just why, but they seem to work better than others, and they are what was originally in there.

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Yeah thats them, we keep 15+ of those in stock... Now when I looked at pics the mirrors etc and everything all looked like an 81... But after decoding the serial number according the the chart I found it says its a 1978. Correct me if Im wrong, serial number says GS550E-104577

Comment

Don't guess on the year, it can be very important when ordering parts. Look at the serial number plate on the steering stem. It will have the date of manufacture on it, as well as a letter after the serial number. Use this chart that is found on the home page to get more information about your bike.

sigpic
                    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I looked at that and searched for every thing from "VIN" to "serial" and then posted the serial on here...The tag is peeling off...But other then tire psi etc. I think I gave all the other info... I see no date of manufacture etc...

Comment

Thanks for posting pictures.
                        Not as bad as I was expecting for parked outside for so long.

It has a kick start. Its a 78 or 79.

Date of manufacture should be on metal tag on frame steering neck, but sometimes the tag is gone, or sometimes cant read portions of it due to cables having rubbed on it so much.

Plenty of online parts suppliers with online parts fische lookup. Look at BikeBandit. And/or AlphaSports, I think they use actaull Suzuki part numbers.

Here is an example from AlphaSports, 79 GS550EN (N meaning 1979)
                        Yah, a 79 will have had ignition points

1 33110-45020 BREAKER ASSY, CONTACT 1 B,C,EC,N,EN; KOKUSAN
                        2 33140-45020 .POINT ASSY, CONTACT RH 1 B,C,EC,N,EN
                        3 33160-45020 .POINT ASSY, CONTACT LH 1 B,C,EC,N,EN
                        4 33143-45020 .PLATE, CONTACT POINT SHIFTING 1 B,C,EC,N,EN
                        Last edited by Redman; 10-24-2009, 01:25 AM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                        GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Hi,

You'll find a shop manual for the 8-valve GS550 on my website. You'll also find a chart with information such as stock spark plugs, tire sizes, battery, sprocket and chain sizes, etc. There's also a vendor list in the "READ ME" page. Please stop by and help yourself.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Oh trust me BassCliff, I've been on your site alot so far, havent downloaded the manual cause we have limited data transfer on our internet. As far as year Im going to look again ath the tag, the one corner of the tag is peeling off. But going by that serial number chart thats been posted, since my serial starts in 104 It should be a 78...Off to work now, look more into details tonight. Also thanks for the sites Redman...been on bikebandit some last night, have to try to other one

Comment

Found the manufacture date finally... 11 of 1977, So I got a 1978 GS550E

Comment

Working...
                              X