Newly aquired 78 GS550E

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newly aquired 78 GS550E

I recently bought my 550E with 22k miles. The most history that I received from PO is that back in May he bought the bike from the family that originally bought the bike. It's my understanding that the bike sat for many years and the gentleman that I bought the bike from had cleaned the bike and "serviced" it. It seemed to run well, yet a bit sluggish and I agreed to buy it. The next morning I set out on a 100+ mile ride with a few friends to find out how this old bike would do. The bike seem to loosen-up and come to life. I have now clocked just over 200 miles on it during the past three weeks that I have owned it. Well, I now have a sweating petcock valve(rebuild kit included with purchase) and a slight knocking sound in the engine caused me to pull the plugs. Although somewhat dark, they seem okay. With the bike running I began pulling each plug wire off one by one and listening to the engine. It seems like both inside cyl aren't firing the way they should. No noticeable sound change or affect on idle as I disconnected each wire individually.

With a troubling economy, our local Suzuki dealer has had to cut their overhead by letting go of their higher paid employees. One of which was a former tech. turned Service Manager that had been with the business for 17 yrs. This guy has now found himself VERY busy in his home garage and is willing to work on my bike. Any information or tips that you guys could offer would be greatly appreciated. I want to be prepared and have some idea of what to expect. Basically, worst case scenerio if had to have the entire engine gone thru, how much money in parts should I anticipate?

Thanks!

Do it your self, there is a lot of things that need to be done on a bike which has sat idle a long time. Adjust the valve clearances correctly and clean the carburetors for starters.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
      Do it your self, there is a lot of things that need to be done on a bike which has sat idle a long time. Adjust the valve clearances correctly and clean the carburetors for starters.
      Carb cleaning and adjustments is exactly what my friend suggested. I hope it's nothing too major.

Comment

It's very simple, except there are four of them. Easy stuff. I would suggest to adjust the valves while the bike is down to clean the carbs, the synch adjustments to the throttles afterward will be much more accurate. Should run really well when it's all back together.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
          It's very simple, except there are four of them. Easy stuff. I would suggest to adjust the valves while the bike is down to clean the carbs, the synch adjustments to the throttles afterward will be much more accurate. Should run really well when it's all back together.
          Thanks, I keep you posted.

Comment

Working...
          X