Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any tips on tightening loose shift lever?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any tips on tightening loose shift lever?

My 1100EX has a loose shift lever - I tried simply tighening it, but is still wiggles on the shaft (will actually pull off the shaft with the bolt in it).

Since the history of this bike unkown, I thoughgt perhaps the shift lever wasn't the correct one for the model, so I bought another "model-correct" one on e-bay. Same story, won't tighten competely around the the splines. In fact, the e-bay one was identical to the one I had...

So, the question is: what methods or tricks has anyone used to get these lever tight ?

Thanks,

mike
    '85 GS550L - SOLD
    '85 GS550E - SOLD
    '82 GS650GL - SOLD
    '81 GS750L - SOLD
    '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
    '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
    '82 GS1100G - SOLD
    '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

The fact that it comes off the shaft with the bolt in it tells me that someone has modified the shaft.

There should be a groove running around the shaft, about 10-15 mm from the end, through which the bolt will pass.
    It should not be possible to slide the lever off with the bolt in place.

Now, to your problem of getting it tight enough. Are you able to tighten down the lever at all, or does it bottom out? If the ends of the lever are touching before the lever gets tight on the shaft, use a file, Dremel tool with a cut-off wheel, whatever, to enlarge the size of the gap so that you can draw it together more before they bind up.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
      The fact that it comes off the shaft with the bolt in it tells me that someone has modified the shaft.

There should be a groove running around the shaft, about 10-15 mm from the end, through which the bolt will pass.

Now, to your problem of getting it tight enough. Are you able to tighten down the lever at all, or does it bottom out? If the ends of the lever are touching before the lever gets tight on the shaft, use a file, Dremel tool with a cut-off wheel, whatever, to enlarge the size of the gap so that you can draw it together more before they bind up.

Thanks Steve,

Yeah I'm familar with that groove in the shaft that's supposed to capture the bolt - the shaft doesn't appear modified to my eyes, but who knows... the bike is still a mystery to me.

I was also thinking the same thing - remove some material from the lever "split" so it will tighten more around the spline. I was considering using a band saw to "open up" the slot, but your suggestions look good as well...

thanks,

mike
      '85 GS550L - SOLD
      '85 GS550E - SOLD
      '82 GS650GL - SOLD
      '81 GS750L - SOLD
      '82 GS1100G - SOLD

Comment

What he said; but it is kinda hard to beleive as the splines would be obviously worn/ground down for that bolt to "wiggle" off. Maybe a former PO used a puller to get it off after loosening the bolt . I was gonna say post a pic but not sure I could bear to look

Comment

Originally posted by hikermikem View Post
          .......I was also thinking the same thing - remove some material from the lever "split" so it will tighten more around the spline. I was considering using a band saw to "open up" the slot, but your suggestions look good as well...

Just not too much or it might crack when you tighten it down.

Comment

Originally posted by Zooks View Post
            Just not too much or it might crack when you tighten it down.
            In theory it should not matter as the shift arm clamps down on the splined shaft; but this is sounding more like a reinstall requiring JB weld or the like

Comment

I was considering using a band saw to "open up" the slot, but your suggestions look good as well...
              I have found that you can only use what you have available.

I don't have a bandsaw.

sigpic
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                What he said; but it is kinda hard to beleive as the splines would be obviously worn/ground down for that bolt to "wiggle" off. Maybe a former PO used a puller to get it off after loosening the bolt . I was gonna say post a pic but not sure I could bear to look
                I'll try to post a pic Sun, after i get back from the Great White North (VT).

It doesn't look too worn to me though...
                '85 GS550L - SOLD
                '85 GS550E - SOLD
                '82 GS650GL - SOLD
                '81 GS750L - SOLD
                '82 GS1100G - SOLD

Comment

I have found that you can only use what you have available.

I don't have a bandsaw.

I have a band saw available to me at work... that's why I go everyday, to work on bike parts !
                  '85 GS550L - SOLD
                  '85 GS550E - SOLD
                  '82 GS650GL - SOLD
                  '81 GS750L - SOLD
                  '82 GS1100G - SOLD

Comment

If the splines are ok, my thought is that a PO put on a slightly larger shift lever, hence the play.
                    :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
                    Past:73' CL360, 74' CB450, 80' GS550,
                    83' CB550SC, 78' CX500, 81' GL1100,
                    85' GL1200LTD, 85' Honda Rebel
                    84' GS1150, 92' GSX 1100G
                    Current:
                    80' GS1100E,,
                    81 Yamaha XS1100,
                    01' Bandit 1200
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by morpheus666 View Post
                      ... my thought is that a PO put on a slightly larger shift lever, hence the play.
                      Yeah, except for a statement he made in his original post ...
                      ... so I bought another "model-correct" one on e-bay. Same story, won't tighten competely around the the splines. In fact, the e-bay one was identical to the one I had...

sigpic
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride

Comment

Sloppy gear shaft pic

I'll try to post a pic Sun, after i get back from the Great White North (VT).

It doesn't look too worn to me though...
                        Looking at the gear shaft end...

Gear shaft levers, one on left I opened up the slot, now it tightens...

Last edited by hikermikem; 11-05-2009, 10:04 PM.
                        '85 GS550L - SOLD
                        '85 GS550E - SOLD
                        '82 GS650GL - SOLD
                        '81 GS750L - SOLD
                        '82 GS1100G - SOLD

Comment

Hmmm. What if...

Is it possible that someone changed out the shaft with one from another GS model?
                          Maybe someone swapped out the transmission with a replacement from a different year/size?

I don't know if they have different sizes on the different model/years, but it might explain the mystery.

Then it's a simple matter of getting a shift lever that was meant to work on the smaller diameter shaft.
                          I know I would feel better about using the correct one instead of using one that is stressed a bit more than it should be.
                          Increases the chances of the metal failing under load, I think.

Does anyone know if there is a smaller GS shifter shaft size? Perhaps from a smaller displacement engine with a compatible transmission?

I have seen a similar situation with steering knuckles on cars.

Hope this helps.
                          Last edited by Guest; 11-05-2009, 09:40 PM. Reason: expanding more

Comment

Originally posted by Macguyver View Post
                            Is it possible that someone changed out the shaft with one from another GS model?
                            Maybe someone swapped out the transmission with a replacement from a different year/size?

I don't know if they have different sizes on the different model/years, but it might explain the mystery.

Then it's a simple matter of getting a shift lever that was meant to work on the smaller diameter shaft.
                            I know I would feel better about using the correct one instead of using one that is stressed a bit more than it should be.
                            Increases the chances of the metal failing under load, I think.

Does anyone know if there is a smaller GS shifter shaft size? Perhaps from a smaller displacement engine with a compatible transmission?

I have seen a similar situation with steering knuckles on cars.

Hope this helps.
                            I suppose anything is possible... I know nothing of this bike's past.

I does look like it was down on that side at some point over its life.

The shift lever with the opened up slot tightens up pretty well however, so at this point - problem solved.
                            '85 GS550L - SOLD
                            '85 GS550E - SOLD
                            '82 GS650GL - SOLD
                            '81 GS750L - SOLD
                            '82 GS1100G - SOLD

Comment

Good job.

Done and done.
                              Good job all around.