Gas tank liner failed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gas tank liner failed

Got my tank back from paint and it looks awsome. Problem is the tank liner failed. Once drained and dried out it started flaking loose inside. I suspect that the vibrations from sanding probably did most of the flaking. Anyways, I'll have to remove this liner some how without damaging my new cany red paint. The liner seems to be some sort of clear liner and is not the kreem liner I'm used to. If i'm not mistaken the kreem liner can be removed with a kreem product.

Any sugestions? I'm thinking of trying to kreem liner removal if I can find it.

Get some high strength paint stripper along with some aquarium rocks. Fashion some leak proof plugs for the various tank openings but be sure to allow the tank to vent a little while the sauce is cooking. Rotate and shake the tank every couple of hours and dump the goop for a fresh refill after the stripper gets spent - about once a day. If you take your time and allow the stripper to dwell on all surfaces of the tank by rotating it the liner will come off. When you get that all done get yourself some Por-15 tank sealer and seal the tank properly.

Good luck
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Lots of ideas using the search feature.
      Contacting Caswell and/or Por seems to be a good idea.
      This forum contains old posts which may have information which may be useful. It is a closed forum in that you can not post here any longer. Please post your questions in the other technical forums.
      2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

I have a '78 and 79 tank to do. the '78 is riddled with rust holes on portions if the seams, some near the petcock. I was wondering if the POR-15 method of sealing the outside of the tank with their fabric and POR-15 paint would work to achieve an initial leak proof seal, followed with the Caswell epoxy interior coating. I don't think portions of the bottom are strong enough to stand up to much besides providing a form.
        '78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

POR-15 Treatment worked great on mine. and if you tape up all the areas (Blue tape) that you are worried about you'll be fine. That Por15 is the best.

Comment

Acetone

Acetone will remove most of the commercially available, clear, liner products but I'd suggest you find out exactly what product was used and contact the manufacturer. They all have chemists on board and I'm sure they could offer you good advice on what went wrong and how to remove it.

If it flaked off, I think there's a good chance they sloshed it around too much when they put it in the tank, thus, creating air bubbles. (At least one of the companies that makes tank liners mentions that.)
            Last edited by rockford; 10-31-2009, 03:52 PM.
            1980 GS1100E, the latest of many.

Comment

I would remove the old liner using a methylene chloride based stripper. If its not leaking, remove any rust with phosphoric acid and use the tank. I prefer not to use a liner at all but if you must the Caswell epoxy is good stuff.

Comment

I've had real good luck removing rust with phosphoric acid. It attacks the rust and leaves the base metal intact. Works real well on rusty nuts and bolts. I mix up a cup that contains the acid solution and another cup that has a baking soda solution to neutralize the part after I clean it.

Comment

if it's flaking off, you might get away with just small pea gravel being sloshed around inside it without having to put any chemicals in it to remove it.

Comment

Use the suggestions mentioned and remove that nasty liner. And, I will second the "go naked" suggestion. If its mere surface rust, your petcock's filter should do well at keeping it out of your carbs. And, for more insurance you can even (GASP!) run a MOTORCYCLE CORRECT inline filter on it as well. Personally, and as you've experienced, I have read and heard too many horror stories on these tank lining products to trust them. Plus, Im worried I'D screw it up, and as you can see, getting a bad one out is a nasty chore. If its leaking however, you may have to go ahead and seal it, or, if you're not worried about the finish (which im assuming you are since it was just painted) a radiator shop can usually help you out.

I have a BEAUTIFUL tank on my soon to be restored 76 750B and its got some surface rust inside. I obviously wont trust the finish to the radiator shop, and I am not going to attempt a sealing product. So, I plan to try filling it with EVAPORUST and then simply keeping it full of petrol. I'll let ya know how it works out...LOL

Comment

Think I'll try the gravel.

I think I'll try the gravel to rid the loose parts then flush it out. Don't see any rust in the tank that I'm woried about and all looked solid after sand blasting the outside. If the remains of the liner gives me fits at a later date I'll take further steps. Thanks again all.

Comment

Working...
                      X