Engine Compatability

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine Compatability

Hi Guys just a quick question. Is the GS 1000 or 1100 shaft driven engines a straight swap for the 850, eg mounting points etc. Thanks
    Wayne

Sans some engine mounts (though I've never done one) I'de say yes.

Comment

I'm doing a 1000 to 850 frame swap now. Along with engine itself you'll need the 1000 carbs, carb to air box boots and the drive shaft. Everything else seems to be the same or at least usable. The exhaust is a little different but I think it can be used. The suzuki part numbers on the mounts are the same. You'd find some more differences if your 850 is a 79 with points ignition. I think the points plate could be swapped to the 1000 if needed.

Disclaimer:
      I'm not finnished with my swap so some fittment has yet to be tryed.

I'd be glad to answer any guestions you have.

Buddy
      09 Yamaha Venture Royal (my first Yamaha)
      83 Honda VT500FT Ascot (three of them)
      81 GS650G for the wife.
      82 Suzuki GS850GL Bought it 3 times, sold it twice, then traded for a nice 82 GS1100G AND a 93 Honda 750 Nighthawk, even WOW!
      I am the master of my unspoken words, and a slave to those words that should have remained unsaid.
      If ya can't dazzle 'em with brilliance, baffle 'em with B. S.
      Motorcycles are like children....They should be seen and not heard.

Comment

This is your chance to learn from other peoples trials.
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

i'm pretty sure the first gen 1000's down the the 750's all used vm26's so you might be in the clear using your same carbs.

Comment

Shaft drive 1000 never used VM's at least in the US Supposed to be an easy swap minor changes on rear motor mount? maybe direct bolt in if you have the 1000 mounts. I am planning to do it to my 850 some day, (I have the motor) it still runs too good

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1 View Post
              Shaft drive 1000 never used VM's at least in the US Supposed to be an easy swap minor changes on rear motor mount? maybe direct bolt in if you have the 1000 mounts. I am planning to do it to my 850 some day, (I have the motor) it still runs too good
              Waiting for an 850 to fail could take a while, you will likely be too old to ride by then.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

that's a possibility, she's a good one.... Currently has 45K. Motor has never been apart except for valve adj..

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1 View Post
                  that's a possibility, she's a good one.... Currently has 45K. Motor has never been apart except for valve adj..

Let chef ride around on it for a while... things could change!

Comment

Originally posted by mighty13d View Post
                    Let chef ride around on it for a while... things could change!
                    You funny guy
                    I'll kill you last
                    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Working...
                    X