oil filter cover bolts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

oil filter cover bolts?

OK I know this topic is on the forums a lot, but I still need some help. Two of the three "acorn" style nuts on my filter cover are stripped and won't tighten. I already installed an oversized drain plug and that worked great. Will oversized 10mm nuts work on the filter cover as well? If so, anyone know where I can get a couple. I've already tried to find some online and at local stores, but with no luck. My filter cover is just like this one, but on a '79 GS425N

I don't know of any "oversize" 10 mm nuts. I would say just get some new studs and some new nuts. Rather inexpensive, unless you get them from Babbitt's. They seem to have a minimum price of 2.97 for anything they sell, no matter how much it really costs.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Any hardware store with metric fasteners should have suitable studs and nuts, they don't even need to be acorn nuts. Don't use bolts, the wear on the aluminum threads will be a lot harder to repair when they pull out.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Any 10mm nut will work, make sure posts are not stripped first.

Comment

thinking maybe the posts are stripped, I'll find out and go from there. thanks for the help everyone

Comment

i had the same problem on my 650.

I just went to Lowes and bought like a 5 pack of 10mm nuts for a couple bucks or less.

If the bolt is stripped, find out if it's completely stripped or just has a flat spot somewhere. Because if it only has a flat spot, you might be able to throw a washer or two on there, so the nut now grips farther up on the bolt where there is better threading.
            (it worked for me)

Just dont over tighten them, i believe they only need a couple Inch Lbs of force?
            I tightened mine just a hair past Snug, and no leaks yet.

Comment

Working...
            X