Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chain went, clutch rod bent, am i screwed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chain went, clutch rod bent, am i screwed?

as the title says. its a 1978 gs400. new chain and sprockets came in the mail, went to pull the bike around and never leaving 1st gear and it jumped the sprocket and got gummed up around the clutch rod, bending it and moving the gasket so oil was leaking out. At first i was freaked out thinking i cracked the case, then almost delighted to see that just the gasket was leaking.

what is involved in putting a new clutch "rod" in, not sure what the actual name is. I already found the clutch release assembly for $30 new, but i cant find the rod? 2322044002 is the part number for the push rod. but the site im on http://www.cmsnl.com/suzuki-gs400-19...st/FIG-16.html says its not available #20 , however the gasket is ( #21 and #22). Is there a comparable american site that would have this? how do i remove the rod? does it thread out? i did not pull the other side of the case off yet to see.

this really sucks especially since I was moving the bike to put on a NEW CHAIN! and i changed the oil, and got the carbs perfect yesterday
    Last edited by Guest; 11-03-2009, 05:23 PM.

Just pull it out and slip the new one in. You should replace the seal as well since it's probably been pooched. As for the part itself someone here might have one or check Ebay. You may have to have one made if all else fails.

Comment

You may even find a way to straighten it in this pile 'o searches.
      De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Ricks View Post
        Just pull it out and slip the new one in. You should replace the seal as well since it's probably been pooched. As for the part itself someone here might have one or check Ebay. You may have to have one made if all else fails.

can i pull it out from the sprocket side? or do i need to get it from the clutch side? just slap a vice grip on it and pull?

Comment

Originally posted by brandon11130 View Post
          can i pull it out from the sprocket side? or do i need to get it from the clutch side? just slap a vice grip on it and pull?
          Should slide out fairly easily from the sprocket side. Usually you can pull them out with your fingers. If yours is bent inside the crankcase, which I doubt, you may need to use the vise grips.

Comment

Should slide out fairly easily from the sprocket side. Usually you can pull them out with your fingers. If yours is bent inside the crankcase, which I doubt, you may need to use the vise grips.
            wow easier than i thought! haha can i do the gasket from this side as well?

Comment

Originally posted by brandon11130 View Post
              wow easier than i thought! haha can i do the gasket from this side as well?
              On my bike yes. Not sure about yours but I would think so.

Comment

Any machine shop should be able to make one if you can't fine a replacement

seal 09285-06011 $7
                pushrod comes up 23110-44003 references to 2partpushrod kit $29.50
                Last edited by Guest; 11-03-2009, 06:26 PM.

Comment

alrighty, went to the dealer and they confirmed that they no longer make the part, they sourced one from a suzuki dealership in the netherlands, the rod should be here in a week and a half, the seal will be in tomorrow.

i tried pulling the rod out from the sprocket side, it only moves in and outward a 1/2 inch, feels like it hits on some thing..

just read another older thread, about some one with a gs 550 says it needs to come out via clutch side, and remove the clutch.
                  Last edited by Guest; 11-03-2009, 07:04 PM.

Comment

STOP RIGHT NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't try and pull the pushrod out from the sprocket side of the motor. All the advice you have received so far is all wrong.

If you look at the shape of the push rod you will see why it will not come out that way.

Remove the clutch cover on the other side of the motor after draining the oil. Remove clutch pressure plate (6 screws and springs) and the push rod will come out after removing the bearing.

Comment

Originally posted by Suzuki_Don View Post
                      STOP RIGHT NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't try and pull the pushrod out from the sprocket side of the motor. All the advice you have received so far is all wrong.

If you look at the shape of the push rod you will see why it will not come out that way.

Remove the clutch cover on the other side of the motor after draining the oil. Remove clutch pressure plate (6 screws and springs) and the push rod will come out after removing the bearing.
                      Just going by how mine comes out. Tried finding his on a fiche but it didn't show up in the diagrams. I suppose I should have added that disclaimer.

Comment

Just going by how mine comes out. Tried finding his on a fiche but it didn't show up in the diagrams. I suppose I should have added that disclaimer.
                        No probs. It's just that the 550s and 450s are completely different from everything else. We are the babies of the GS WORLD.

Comment

Originally posted by Suzuki_Don View Post
                          [snip] We are the babies of the GS WORLD.
                          HA! not even close. wallowgreen just bought a GS250T!

Comment

Alright, got all the bolts off the clutch side of the case cover, rear brake lever is out, kick starter lever is out. points are out, all the bolts, the clutch rod is unbolted, even the bolt behind the points is out. I cant get it to budge, been rubber malleting all over it. followed every step in the manual to remove it. now im getting tempted to pry but i know ill crack it immediately.... need ideas to get this #@&(#$ out!!!!

any tips for removing a stuck clutch side case cover? bike has 18k so its possible its never been removed before.

Comment

How about a sharp wood chisel LIGHTY tapped between the case and the clutch cover?
                              be very, very careful how and where you place it, you're trying to separate them through the gasket, then repeat it around the clutch cover in a few different spots.

if you are careful you won't do too much damage to the sealing surfaces.

Comment

Working...
                              X