swing arm conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

swing arm conversion

hi new guy here, need advice has any one fitted a swingarm and rear wheel from a vfr 800 into a gsx750 or 1100 frame ?if so what technical advice and measurements can you give any help appreciated

This one sounds interesting. Why use a VFR swingarm?

I have not done this, and have not heard of anyone else doing it, but that does not mean it's not possible.
    Just wondering, though, what the incentive is to use a swingarm from a different manufacturer?

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Because it looks cool.
      I am sure it has been done here, but another good site for mods like that is www.oldskoolsuzuki.info
      2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
        This one sounds interesting. Why use a VFR swingarm?

I have not done this, and have not heard of anyone else doing it, but that does not mean it's not possible.
        Just wondering, though, what the incentive is to use a swingarm from a different manufacturer?

VFR swingarm is single sided.
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
          VFR swingarm is single sided.
          OK, that makes sense.

Would it also make sense to use the VFR wheels and brakes? Seems it would ease the effort a bit.

Not questioning the procedure, just a genuine curiosity about what it would take.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

It can & has been done quite a few times, as mentioned above a quick scoot around oss will give you a good indication of whats involved but from memory here's a quick rundown ....... pivot point is wider on the vfr arm, pivot pin is bigger, monoshock mount will need to be made, frame will need bracing in the mount area, wheel alignment is a right royal pita, chain alignment requires more machining

I'll be honest here the single sided arms have never appealed to me from an asthetic point of view & i could never see the point of adding something so heavy to any bike when there's plenty of better looking arms that are both lighter, stiffer & much easier to fit available, having said that its not my bike so good luck if you go ahead with it

Comment

Originally posted by tone View Post
              It can & has been done quite a few times, as mentioned above a quick scoot around oss will give you a good indication of whats involved but from memory here's a quick rundown ....... pivot point is wider on the vfr arm, pivot pin is bigger, monoshock mount will need to be made, frame will need bracing in the mount area, wheel alignment is a right royal pita, chain alignment requires more machining

I'll be honest here the single sided arms have never appealed to me from an asthetic point of view & i could never see the point of adding something so heavy to any bike when there's plenty of better looking arms that are both lighter, stiffer & much easier to fit available, having said that its not my bike so good luck if you go ahead with it
              So what is the point of a single sided arm if not to be lighter? I would assume the coolness factor is based on some technical benefit.

I did find this:

Looks like they go bigger tires as well; pricing looks steep.

More discussion on SSA benefits

Bike Tech - Why a single-sided swing arm? - What is it about a single-sided swing arm that makes a bike handle better than a bike with conventional rear suspension? If you had two identical sportbikes, equally prepared, but each with different rear swing arm setups. Would the singlesided bike have a huge advantage on...

more closeup pics

Last edited by posplayr; 11-04-2009, 02:39 PM.

Comment

Everything I've found cites looks as the main reason for a single sided swing arm. Possibly facilitates quick tire changes. Looking at the track, the vast majority of race bikes, past and present, are standard swing arms. Some of the manufacturers ran single sided swing arms on factory race bikes back in the 80s-90s, but nearly everyone's switched back to standards now.

Comment

All in the name of vanity. Can you think of a better reason? I can't...

Comment

single sided swing arm ......lotttttts of work...

hi guys,,,, i,m in kaniva australia ... if you go to the australian yamaha xs650 web site ,,,and scroll down to tracters ,,,,1 of their members of which i,m a member has rehashed completely a frame and installed upside down forks ,,loverly front wheel and installed a single side swing arm ,,with the rear matching wheel and wide tyre,,,chain drive ,,,brakes looks from info to be yamaha r1 ... well worth a look .....along with relocating the battery.... looks a treat ...regards david from kaniva

Comment

Originally posted by lesliew51@hotmail.com View Post
                      hi guys,,,, i,m in kaniva australia ... if you go to the australian yamaha xs650 web site ,,,and scroll down to tracters ,,,,1 of their members of which i,m a member has rehashed completely a frame and installed upside down forks ,,loverly front wheel and installed a single side swing arm ,,with the rear matching wheel and wide tyre,,,chain drive ,,,brakes looks from info to be yamaha r1 ... well worth a look .....along with relocating the battery.... looks a treat ...regards david from kaniva
                      Hi David,
                      For those of us with less time on their hands please provide a link

I was able to find this?

Thanks and

Cheers
                      Jim

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                        So what is the point of a single sided arm if not to be lighter? I would assume the coolness factor is based on some technical benefit.
                        Hi Jim

As far as i'm aware honda started the trend on their vfr endurance race bikes with the idea that wheel changes & would be a lot quicker, i'm not sure that the same system has been carried over to the road bikes whithout changes

The s/s arms are very heavy even without the hub & wheel so from a personal point of view i see no benifit from using one & i dont like the look anyway

cheers tone

Comment

Working...
                        X