Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

personalizing to my style....

Hey guys,

i own a gs300L, if it was doubtful (sig and name) and i would like to "improve" it for my tastes. I really like the model of sport bikes, not not so much cruisers (like the L models). The aspect i somewhat dislike about cruisers is there slant down toward the back of the bike. Since the gs300L is the smallest L and one of the smallest gs's the slant isn't that steep. My dream bike is the gs1000s wes cooley replica, because i love its "horizonal-lined"-ness with the seat and tank. I am only 5 ft. 11 in. and 125 lbs (im 15 years old) and i can't handle such a big bike and i want to stick with my 300. I would like to somehow, without any extensive mods( like adding gsxr parts or such) to lower the front end, and maybe raise the back end. I am not a huge fan of the king and queen seat, but if it looks okay once the "improving" has been done, i have no objection to keeping it.

Has any1 done a similar thing, or have any sugggestions?

if this should be moved to appearance mods, then some1 can move it, feel free.

I thought appearance mods were for showing what you have done....

Thanks!

My advice is save your money for your next bike. Learn to do all the maintenance such as valve adjustments, brake system rebuilds, etc using your current bike, and move up to a 550 or so when you get a couple years of riding under your belt.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Welcome aboard.

As Nessim says you need to learn to walk before you run. I'd say you are a few years away from a GS 1000 and I'm betting your likes and wants will change in the next few years so fiddle with what you have.

Use this bike as an instruction lab. Get a manual and some basic tools and add in a digital multimeter and circuit tester. Study the tutorials on Bike Cliff's site and learn what makes the bike work properly. Go through the electrical system and see how the circuits work. Refer to the schematics and trace the lines around, cleaning or changing the grungy contacts as you go. Pull, clean and rebuild the carbs. Change the oil and filter and set the valves. Get her running right.

The need to individualize your bike is with us all and by all means do what makes you happy.....but do it safely. Don't mess around with brakes or suspension unless you know what your doing and for goodness sake don't pretend that you do if you don't. Don't be afraid to admit you don't know something and by all means ask if in the slightest doubt. I'm sure your dad and relatives will help you and we certainly will too.

Life is one big learning curve and messing about with bikes is a good place to start learning mechanics. Take it apart, then put it back together and soon you'll know and understand how it works.

Enjoy.
      Spyug

Comment

Smart guys, there. I'd listen.

Comment

Start trolling Craigslist for a 450 or a 550, don't even think about any of the Ls you will see.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

ok, i have been looking on cl. Oh, i forgot to add that i have worked on the bike, following the tutorials on basecliff's bike. I've owned the bike a while and have been on the forum a lot this past summer, just not recently because of school. I have already done the carbs, electrical, replaced r/r, and the such.

Sorry if any of you thought i just acquired the bike and wanted to do some mods to it.

The bike is running great, i have been riding it alot (only in the neighborhood of course cuz i can't ride legally on main streets), however my neighborhood is very large, so its great, with a bunch of hills and etc.

I would say im a pretty good rider, though by far not the best/great. i don't think though that my dad will approve me to get a bigger bike howevr, he even was somewhat reluctanct on purchasing the 300!, i think the maximum i will be able to handle anytime soon will be like a 400 or a 500. def not anything higher than a 600.

I wish suzuki and the other manufacturers would import their small bikes to the us. Like the gs125, gs 150, etc. i would like those cuz i love their body kits (similar to e, es models).

Sorry for the novel haha.

I am familiar with the bike and have worked on it quite a bit, so does anyone think i should go ahead and personalize it a little bit, and if so.. how???

Thanks!

Comment

Simple mods you can safely do for now would be to change the cruiser style L bars for lower Superbike or Daytona bend ones......this should drop the profile quite a bit, visually, not to mention help with handling. Also have the seat redone to get rid of the King/Queen shape, and go with a flatter bench style , or even a slightly raised pillion, like a Corbin, to further change the back/front slant line.
              At 15 yrs and 125 lbs, I think you made the right choice....use this bike to sharpen your skills, and you'll be better able to exploit the capabilities of your next bike, IMO. Enjoy & ride safe!
              Tony.
              '82 GS1100E

Originally posted by themess
              Only in your own mind did you refute what I wrote.

Comment

oh, haha i forgot to mention that i have inverted clubmans on right now.

Instead of putting them on like cafe style, flip em and they make a v in front of you, kinda like the style of clip ons, but not haha

I just checked out some aftermarket seat company sights, and couldn't find anything for my model, or any things near the size, all i found were 550e and 1100e seats.

Comment

Yes, you would have to mod your existing seat....do a search here, and some info should come up to help with that....a King/Queen seat probably looks a little strange with Clubman bars, inverted or not.
                  Tony.
                  '82 GS1100E

Originally posted by themess
                  Only in your own mind did you refute what I wrote.

Comment

I don't think you will find an aftermarket seat for the little GS300L.

You will probably have to take your seat base and have the foam cut and a new cover manufactured for it at an upholstery shop.

Originally posted by newGS300Lowner View Post
                    oh, haha i forgot to mention that i have inverted clubmans on right now.

Instead of putting them on like cafe style, flip em and they make a v in front of you, kinda like the style of clip ons, but not haha

I just checked out some aftermarket seat company sights, and couldn't find anything for my model, or any things near the size, all i found were 550e and 1100e seats.

Comment

See if an upholstery place can make a seat that looks like this:

Ok, was that a little mean? Maybe. But still, an upholstery place should be able to make nice for ya.

Comment

Yes, we all like to personalize our bikes, but you have to remember that there is a limit to how much you can do. Starting with an L model (doesn't really matter what size), you will be limited to how sleek you can make it look. It would be far easier, like some have said, to learn to ride your little L well, then move up to something closer to what you want.

sigpic
                        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                        Family Portrait
                        Siblings and Spouses
                        Mom's first ride
                        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I agree with everyone saying learn the bike and all the matenence and everything.

But I'm going to play devils advocate for the rest of this. I was 15-16 not too long ago and no one on earth could stop me from choping, hacking lowering lifting, painting, shaving etc etc every vehicle I've owned.

My advice would be to dig in. Grind off what you don't like, get some fiberglass sheets and resin try your hand at making a seat you like. Shave, smoothe go to town. You will learn more from screwing up than from anything else

Oh yea and forums help too

Comment

I'm not sure I understand what you've done with your bars."Inverted" clubmans?? Maybe you should look at some different ones.Your hands should "fall" naturally to the grips and controls.That is , you shouldn't have to turn your wrists at unnatural angles . When you start going for some longer rides , you'll understand what I'm trying to say.What everyone has said has merit , but it's your ride.Enjoy it and post some pics. Cheers , Simon.

'79 GS1000S my daily ride in Aus

'82 (x2) GS650ET in the shed

Comment

Sounds like you want to go forward with it.
                              Make it into a 300 Cafe racer.
                              Or the ever popular Wes Cooley GS300S.
                              Killer little 300 sleeper bike with a 650 engine or something would be great.
                              Even a 300 Dual Sport would be sweet.

I like smaller bikes.
                              Too bad I can't find any decent ones.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Working...
                              X