turn signal help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

turn signal help please

iv had a search of the forum but cant seem to find a pic of the self cancelling unit ,is there a pic of the self cancelling unit for a 79 gs 850 on this site ..

i think this may be what is wrong with my turn signals .. no power to any of the signals , the bike has a 2 pin unit in the left side battery box( looks knackered) and on the right hand side it has a larger box containing what looks like 2 x small transformers with a wires going to 2 x multi-plugs , ( looks like its seen better days) is this the auto canceling unit .. and will my indicators work without it , can i replace the 2 x pin flasher unit with any 12v 2 pin unit .

any help is appreciated .

al

Hi,

Check out the turn signal replacement write-up on my website. There may be a picture in there that will help you. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

It's mounted to the right side of the battery box. Has two plugs 1-4pin & 1 6pin?

Comment

thanks for your reply's

i bought a 2 pin flasher unit today and i have nothing coming out of the indicators .

any ideas .

al

Comment

The box you found with the two transformer looking things is the signal control box. The transformer looking things are actually relays, one for each turn signal pair. Check you have 12v going to this controller on the orange wire with green tracer. If you have, and you don't hear one of the relay's click when you operate the switch on the handlebar with the ignition on then it's odds on the controller is kaput.

The '79 and earlier version differs from the later versions in that it's not fail safe. The flasher (two pin thing you found under the other side panel) is supplied with 12v and the ground side is fed to the controller then directed to one of the signal pairs in the controller by operating one of the internal relays. That makes the ground connection through the lamps and blinky blinky. BUT, those controllers are renowned for going bad then you get nothing.

The system can be modified to remove them as replacements cost about $250 (which probably means 250 quid) but you have to replace the switch with a latching type and modify the wiring to accept that. All this is documented on BassCliff's site linked in his note.

I had exactly the same kind of issues with mine when I got it, most days I couldn't turn left.

Post back what you find.
          It's smoke that make electronic components work.
          Every time I've let the smoke out by mistake, they never work again.
          '80 GS250T... long gone... And back!
          '86 Honda Bol D'Or... very sadly long gone
          '82 GS1000SZ
          '82 GS1100GL
          '01 Honda CBR1100XX BlackBird

Comment

thanks for the replys , today i decided to install the original turn signals , and following some info i found on this site , i cut out the self cancelling unit , i joined the light green/black with the light green and the light blue/black to solid black wires together .

this has now given me turn signals , however they do not blink ,

it also says on the wiring info on this site , to connect light blue to orange/yellow to bring the flasher into circuit .

i dont have an orange/yellow , the only wires i have on my 6 pin plug are
            1. light blue
            2. orange
            3. black/white
            4. brown/yellow,
            5. black/red,
            6. blue/red

i have not changed the handlebar switch yet, i want to get the turn signals working first ..
            Last edited by Guest; 11-11-2009, 02:41 PM.

Comment

I don't have access to a wiring diagram for your bike.

all you will need to do is to run power to a flasher, then from the flasher to the directional switch and finally to each (right-left) side of the turn signals. check the wiring to your switch with an Ohm meter to find out which wire goes to where and this will get you blinky-blinky.
              Last edited by rustybronco; 11-11-2009, 03:51 PM.
              De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Hey Al,

Download a colour wiring diagram for you '79 850 from BassCliff's site:

The link is right up near the top in the center of the page.

Looking at the diagram, I think you linked the output of the switch directly to the lamps for both sides. Those outputs from the switch should supply momentary 12v to the control box to indicate to it that it needs to activate the corresponding relay, which in turn connects the flasher (light blue wire) to the correct signal pair and start it's timer process. That's why the switch does not need to be latching.

I believe the way you have it connected right now, the flasher is out of circuit so as rustybronco alludes to, without that, no blinky-blinky.

Make sure the modification you're attempting is for the '79 and prior system with two connectors to the harness, like I said before, the 80 and later is different. There's only one plug from the controller to the harness in the later version so it's easy to tell them apart.

I have a ton of notes on this at home (at work now) as I designed and built my own replacement unit around a uP for my machine but from looking at the diagram in the 4 pin plug you should have:
                red/black
                green/black
                black
                green

and in the 6 pin plug you should have:
                orange/yellow
                black/white
                blue/red
                orange/green
                blue/yellow
                blue

Can't remember now if that matched to what I actually found on mine.
                Last edited by Wallowgreen; 11-11-2009, 10:37 PM. Reason: correctin spellinz
                '82 GS1000SZ
                '82 GS1100GL

Comment

Just read your post again, I remember I had a brown/yellow wire and that I had to figure out which was which.

I'll check up tonight if I remember (I'm old now)...
                  '82 GS1000SZ
                  '82 GS1100GL

Comment

this is my problem , i dont have the orange / yellow wire to connect to the blue flashe wire .

i have :
                    i dont have an orange/yellow , the only wires i have on my 6 pin plug are
                    1. light blue
                    2. orange
                    3. black/white
                    4. brown/yellow,
                    5. black/red,
                    6. blue/red

Comment

Either way, this is all you have to do...

Originally posted by rustybronco View Post
                      all you will need to do is to run power to a flasher, then from the flasher to the directional switch and finally to each (right-left) side of the turn signals. check the wiring to your switch with an Ohm meter to find out which wire goes to where and this will get you blinky-blinky.

Simple
                      '82 GS1000SZ
                      '82 GS1100GL

Comment

Looking at my notes, here's what I determined the wires were:

black/blue - momentary 12v for left turn
                        light green/black - momentary 12v for right turn
                        brown/yellow - momentary ground for cancel
                        black/white - ground
                        orange - 12v supply
                        light blue - input FROM flasher relay
                        light green - output to right signal pair
                        black - output to left signal pair
                        blue/red - speedo sensor 1
                        black/red - speedo sensor 2

Note that some of these colours change through connectors but IIRC these were the colours in my harness.

Hope it helps...
                        '82 GS1000SZ
                        '82 GS1100GL

Comment

thanks , thats the exact colours that i have in my harness ,

so wold i want to connect the light blue flasher wire with the brown/yellow to bring the flasher into the circuit .

im getting kinda lost ?

al

Comment

Bigal,

There is some conflicting information, as to what colors are used, between the wiring diagram listed on basscliffs site http://members.dslextreme.com/users/...S850wiring.jpg and the wiring information that is listed in the '79 GS850G owners manual I have in front of me.

I would tend to believe (hope) the owners manual would have the correct information contained in it. so, with that said, the input to the turn signal switch is the brown/yellow wire and you would connect the output from a (the) flasher to this wire.

as always, a reality check should be done to make sure that those are the proper colour wires for the desired connection. so, if you apply power to the brown/yellow wire, do the signals light up (not flash) when the turn signal switch is moved to the right or left turn positions? also, please make sure they are off (not lit) when the switch is moved to the center position, or when the cancel button is depressed.

let us know if you need further assistance.
                            De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

thanks for your reply , ill get back into it tomorrw again and try this out.

ill post my findings

regards

al

Comment

Working...
                              X