New Start / Horn Buttons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Start / Horn Buttons

Mr. DPage has created new Horn / Start buttons. The factory buttons must get old and brittle then break. Ive lost both of mine. Dave sent me one of his buttons and it works great.

Heres the thread that got him started.....
    This forum contains old posts which may have information which may be useful. It is a closed forum in that you can not post here any longer. Please post your questions in the other technical forums.

Heres a shot of his new button and my old broken button.

Horn and Start are the same
    82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

I see you're harboring alien pests on your controls.......

Comment

I can't believe the condition of the lettering. Mine is long gone, spare I bought a while back is long gone as well.

Comment

I took my left control apart to clean the horn contact, as the horn was barely audioable. Two things happened. Parts went flying and the blinker/dimmer button broke. I glued the dimmer/blinker button (I hope it holds) together ( the pryimid shaped one). Part of the tee on it's underside broke off. I put it back together and it worked. I got all (?) the parts back in. There is no stopping point for the blinkers, to stop at in a neutral (non-signaling)position. A slight cross wind and I'm signaling a turn .

The question I pose to all of you is...is there suppose to be a ball bearing inside that switch? I found one a week later and I bet it is a stop detent for the neutral position. I really didn't get to see where all the parts went before it exploded into bits. I don't want to take it apart again unless I have to. Thanks all.

Charlie g.
        Last edited by Charlie G; 11-13-2009, 12:35 PM.
        sigpic
        83 GS1100g
        2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

I had issues with mine as well as the kill switch, got a momentary push button off the shelf at radio shack and soldered that in. The kill switch I think would light up if i wired up the ground, might do that for the novelty effect but it works good enough.

I was afraid if i wired it up it might light when the bike is off, but probably shouldnt lol.

and

not exact fits but I made them work.
          Last edited by Guest; 11-13-2009, 02:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie G View Post
            is there suppose to be a ball bearing inside that switch?
            Yep. Sure is. Ill send you some pics and hints for reassembly when I get some time. Gotta run now.................
            82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Thanks....We'll wait.

cg
              sigpic
              83 GS1100g

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

At least the ladybug likes it.
                Good job!
                1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

The question I pose to all of you is...is there suppose to be a ball bearing inside that switch?
                  Originally posted by bonanzadave View Post
                  Yep. Sure is. Ill send you some pics and hints for reassembly when I get some time. Gotta run now.................
                  Here is the inside of the LT control. The bigger black assy is the turn sig contact and the smaller one below is the hi/low headlight contact. The spring on the turn sig contact is the hi/low headlight return spring.

The ball bearing youre missing goes inside the turn sig contact on a spring and is the detent for LT, Auto LT, RT, and Auto RT switch positions. If you lost the ball you may have lost the spring too.

If you take the turn sig contact off you see the turn sig return spring under it. The best advice I can give is have a clean well lit work area. Use Dielectric grease to hold things together and a tooth pick to set and move the tiny parts around. And a lot of patience !!
                  82 1100 EZ (red)

Comment

Spring has sprung?

bonanzadave,

Thanks for the pictures. Mine dosen't have auto turn but looks quite simular. The part numbers for a 650g and 1100e are different. I went out to the garage and actually found a spring. Are there three springs in yours? Looks like one sits under the black piece and moves it left to right. The one with the ball bearing is it under the black piece as well? I guess I'll pull it off again and see if this make sense. I hope I'm not missing a third spring. Finding a ball bearing after being unknowingly lost after two weeks and then a spring after three weeks was pretty high odds. Finding another spring ....I'm not making bets. Thanks again!

Charlie G.
                    sigpic
                    83 GS1100g

Comment

Are there three springs in yours? Looks like one sits under the black piece and moves it left to right. The one with the ball bearing is it under the black piece as well?
                      Wow ! Congrats on finding those little parts. Mine actually has 5 springs. The 3 you see in the pics and 2 more tiny springs under the contacts. The spring and ball go into a hole in that black piece.
                      82 1100 EZ (red)

Comment

I think I remember the other two springs. I'll pull it apart when I feel I have the patients for it. By the way, when I was comparing part numbers for your switch and mine, I noticed part numbers for the following:

24 37311-49000 BUTTON, HORN 1 NOT SHOWN , 25 37312-49000 SPRING 1 NOT SHOWN , 26 37313-49000 CONTACT 1 NOT SHOWN
                        I presume 25 and 26 are horn button parts. Info from "ALPHA SPORTS"

Thanks again

cg
                        sigpic
                        83 GS1100g

Comment

Info from "ALPHA SPORTS"
                          Keep in mind that Alpha is a good source for information and parts numbers, but they tend to be VERY expensive.

sigpic
                          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                          Family Portrait
                          Siblings and Spouses
                          Mom's first ride
                          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

So bonanzadave, you successfully re-assembled the LH switch? I have one in pieces right now, with a new button from dpage. I have been playing with the pieces. I think I have five springs and one ball.

Are there two balls or just one? (I have the same switch as yours)

Is there anything other than the spring under the button? If not, what makes the contact?

Comment

There are 6 springs if you count the horn.

1.The spring and one ball for the turn sig detent.
                              2. The high / low return spring for the headlight
                              3. The LT / RT return spring for the turn sig
                              4. Two contact springs under two small copper contacts
                              5. The horn button spring.

I should make a movie. Im getting pretty good at putting the thing back together.
                              82 1100 EZ (red)

Comment

Working...
                              X