gs1000 bottom end gs1100g top end

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gs1000 bottom end gs1100g top end

I just finished my upgrade to an gs1100 top end head and cams.I have 34mm nikunis on it but I cant get it to start, timed the cams up according to spec 1 flat with the head starting with 2 count 20 pins until you get to 3 on the intake cam, but it just backfires and won't start, any help would be appreciated.

I had to set mine 4 times before I got them right (of course I may be slow).

Are you sure you you are at 1/4 TDC?
    Did it move off TDC while you were fiddling with the Cams?
    Are you sure you have the IN/EX cam in the right spot?
    Counted 20 pins right, not 20 links?
    In the counting pin 1 over the 2, pin 20 over the 3?

Comment

I'm gonna try the cams again when i get a day off. I think I might have let them move a little tightening down the caps. it was top dead center on the crank (1-4) 20 pins from the #2 on the exhaust side to #3 on the intake side with the #1 lined up horizontally with the head.

Comment

Originally posted by Big E View Post
        I'm gonna try the cams again when i get a day off. I think I might have let them move a little tightening down the caps. it was top dead center on the crank (1-4) 20 pins from the #2 on the exhaust side to #3 on the intake side with the #1 lined up horizontally with the head.
        Make sure you are vise gripping them down (it's in the manual) before you try to put the caps on.
        If you are tightening the caps without vise gripping each cam down first, there is a 91.27435% chance that is your problem right there.
        Last edited by Guest; 11-13-2009, 05:21 PM.

Comment

Do the slots in the end of the cams line up with the surface of the head when all are tight? That will give u a ball park to start with.

Comment

I haven't used vice grips nor have I checked the grooves on the cam ends.THis is great advice and this is my first build ,I'm really enjoying it but of course it is a learning experience for me ,and I greatly appreciate all the info gs resources rocks.

Comment

Make sure ya got the firing order right, too.

Comment

Originally posted by Big E View Post
                I haven't used vice grips nor have I checked the grooves on the cam ends.THis is great advice and this is my first build ,I'm really enjoying it but of course it is a learning experience for me ,and I greatly appreciate all the info gs resources rocks.
                If you have a shop manual it shows how to do it. I had to get a bigger pair than I owned at the time to make it work.

Comment

The thought of taking vise grips to my bike scares the crap out of me!!!!!!!!! never had a problem with just "inching' the cams down using just the caps and common sence. Yes ive seen the manual but it isnt a bible on how too.

Comment

Originally posted by sharpy View Post
                    The thought of taking vise grips to my bike scares the crap out of me!!!!!!!!! never had a problem with just "inching' the cams down using just the caps and common sence. Yes ive seen the manual but it isnt a bible on how too.
                    Those journal caps and the bolts that hole them are pretty delicate, the "real" suzuki shop manual, pretty much is the bible as far as I'm concerned. It's not like you're taking a bolt off with vise grips, you're using them to compress the valve under the cam, and lock it in place so you aren't putting a bunch of tension on the caps and bolts.
                    Last edited by Guest; 11-15-2009, 10:39 AM.

Comment

Using vice grips like the factory manual shows is the ONLY way to go (my opinion of course). Tons of guys strip out the threads for the caps while bolting them down, plus it's difficult to tell if the cam is properly aligned until it down and seated in the head. Just wrap the jaws with duct tape if you are worried about damaging the parts.
                      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Here is a pic of my cams,hope this helps

Comment

Working...
                        X