Exhaust studs or bolts.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exhaust studs or bolts.

The engine that I got in the 82 Katana (750) project bike didn't have any exhaust studs in the head and the spare engine is missing a few. Can anyone tell me the size or thread pitch i need to find and the nut size as they're missing too.. Also is it possible to use a cap bolt in lieu of a stud?

I always find thread pitch and bolt sizing to be confusing and its time consuming trying to figure what fits what. I spend hours in the hardware stores sorting through things especially metrics which seem to come in several different pitches in the same size and that's not even talking grades which confuses it further.

Anyone know of a turotial on this stuff?

Cheers,
    Spyug.

My model has bolts. Standard on all these bikes is (I think) M8 X 1.25. For bolts the length is 40mm (again I think).

Comment

Originally posted by doctorgonzo View Post
      My model has bolts. Standard on all these bikes is (I think) M8 X 1.25. For bolts the length is 40mm (again I think).
      My recollection from my 750LX was: M8x1.50, 35mm long - OEM bolts to hold a stock exhaust on...

As doctorgonzo sez, "I think"
      '85 GS550L - SOLD
      '85 GS550E - SOLD
      '82 GS650GL - SOLD
      '81 GS750L - SOLD
      '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
      '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
      '82 GS1100G - SOLD
      '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

Search for the link, if you look the part up on alphasports, the bolt specs are imbedded in the suzuki part number. 1.5 pitch would be weird I think, they make 1.5 for M10 bolts, and they may make it for M8 bolts, but 1.25 is "standard" pitch on M8.

Comment

Search for the link, if you look the part up on alphasports, the bolt specs are imbedded in the suzuki part number. 1.5 pitch would be weird I think, they make 1.5 for M10 bolts, and they may make it for M8 bolts, but 1.25 is "standard" pitch on M8.
          The p/n for the exhaust bolts: 01500-0835B

How do you decipher that number?
          '85 GS550L - SOLD
          '85 GS550E - SOLD
          '82 GS650GL - SOLD
          '81 GS750L - SOLD
          '82 GS1100G - SOLD

Comment

Originally posted by hikermikem View Post
            The p/n for the exhaust bolts: 01500-0835B

How do you decipher that number?
            We'll have to find the thread on it, or someone who remembers for sure come along, but from memory, that means you are right, that number means

M8 1.50 pitch 35mm long.

Comment

This forum contains old posts which may have information which may be useful. It is a closed forum in that you can not post here any longer. Please post your questions in the other technical forums.

This post actually indicates that Suzuki DOES use standard pitch, so the bolt (per that number) would be M8 X1.25 X 35mm, but don't hold me to that pitch.

Comment

Go with studs if at all possible. Easier on the threads in the engine block, and usually makes installing the header easier. A big plus if you need to drop it for maintainance.

Comment

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...39&postcount=5

This post actually indicates that Suzuki DOES use standard pitch, so the bolt (per that number) would be M8 X1.25 X 35mm, but don't hold me to that pitch.
                  I have a tap at home that I used to chase those exhaust header threads, after i had to remove a 2 broken bolts (another l-o-n-g story).

Unfortunately I won't be home 'til Sun evening, so I can't verify the thread until then.
                  '85 GS550L - SOLD
                  '85 GS550E - SOLD
                  '82 GS650GL - SOLD
                  '81 GS750L - SOLD
                  '82 GS1100G - SOLD

Comment

I have a tap at home that I used to chase those exhaust header threads, after i had to remove a 2 broken bolts (another l-o-n-g story).

Unfortunately I won't be home 'til Sun evening, so I can't verify the thread until then.
                    Mine had 3 broken bolts, one i never could get out. That was the starting point of swapping out for the 1100 head (with header bolts LIBERALLY coated with anti-seize).

Comment

I think I'm going to move to studs as I have to drop the header each time... either that or I'm going to put in a second drain plug off to the left side.

Dan
                      1980 GS1000G - Sold
                      1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                      1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                      1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                      2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                      1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                      2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
                        I think I'm going to move to studs as I have to drop the header each time... either that or I'm going to put in a second drain plug off to the left side.

Dan
                        You could always turn the bike upside down & drain the oil thru the filler hole
                        '85 GS550L - SOLD
                        '85 GS550E - SOLD
                        '82 GS650GL - SOLD
                        '81 GS750L - SOLD
                        '82 GS1100G - SOLD

Comment

You could always turn the bike upside down & drain the oil thru the filler hole
                          Build a vacuum pump that sucks it out!

Comment

Often thought about that but I don't think you'd get anything past the clutch basket - not only that I also have to remove it to get to the oil filter....

Why Suzuki didn't follow the Z1's example with the filter I don't know...
                            1980 GS1000G - Sold
                            1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                            1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                            1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                            2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                            1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                            2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by Turtleface View Post
                              Go with studs if at all possible. Easier on the threads in the engine block, and usually makes installing the header easier. A big plus if you need to drop it for maintainance.
                              +1, Suzuki used bolts as they are cheaper and they will outlast the warranty, but studs are a much better long term method of attaching the headers.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Working...
                              X