other engine for 550 E

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

other engine for 550 E

After closer inspection of my recently purchased Gs 550 I found that the bike wasn't what I had been told it was. About a week ago I was trying to figure out where an oil leak was and found out that the exhaust pipes and possibly the engine are off of a 550 L, but the frame is from a 550 E. Now I have a real problem, I dont know what year the engine is, I do know that the frame is a '79 so I am left wondering, what other engine fits a 550 E frame.

E and L engines are the same, post up a pic of what you have.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Yes the L and E engines are the same. Also 1977 up thru 1982 the 550's were pretty much the same engine. To varify look at the lower front of the cylinder and it should have a 549 cm cast in the cylinder if it is indeed a 550.

Terry
      1980 Suzuki GS550E, 1981 Suzuki GS 1100EX all stock, 1983 Suzuki GS 1100EX modified, 1985 GS1150E, 1998 Honda Valkyrie Tourer, 1971 Kawasaki Mach lll 500 H1, 1973 Kawasaki Mach lV 750 H2.

Comment

Why do you think the exhaust and engine are from an "L". What did you see ?
        Larry D
        1980 GS450S
        1981 GS450S
        2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Originally posted by Larry D View Post
          Why do you think the exhaust and engine are from an "L". What did you see ?
          well, the exhaust pipes say on the side that they are for an L model, which leads me to believe that the engine is also from an L model

Comment

As said, the E and L engines are identical, the pipes are not.. L is shorter.

There was a big change late 79 early 80, where the kick starter was removed, and replaced by a higher capacity charging system..
            Other than that, the rest is just cosmetic.

John

Comment

In 1980 the engine was changed in the following ways:

- VM carbs were discontinued and CV type adopted so the cylinder head intake ports were increased in diameter to match the larger throat on the CV carbs
              - Breaker points replaced with electronic ignition and a seperate Regulator and Rectifier was replaced with a combined R/R unit - charging system capacity is same as before
              - Kick starter was eliminated
              Last edited by Nessism; 11-17-2009, 09:58 PM.
              Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Just took a look at your album.

Chrome rear and front fenders.
                Leading axle.
                Buckhorn bars.
                You said that had an "L" exhaust on it.

That, sir, sure looks like an L you've got there. As noted, the engines from 77-82 will swap, regardless of the particular model. If you go to look up the stats, the HP rating is just barely lower on the L models I think merely because of the exhaust. It's not an engine difference.

Comment

Originally posted by mike_of_bbg View Post

That, sir, sure looks like an L you've got there. As noted, the engines from 77-82 will swap, regardless of the particular model. If you go to look up the stats, the HP rating is just barely lower on the L models I think merely because of the exhaust. It's not an engine difference.
                  Yep, 100% pure L.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

thanks a lot everyone, now I know what I really got, but I've got one question, why is it that when I put the rear foot pegs down they rub on the exhaust pipes?

Comment

mine are very close to the exhaust, but not quite touching. Yours may have been used by somebody to board the bike as a passenger, and simply bent them down.

Comment

Originally posted by 79FiveFifty View Post
                        mine are very close to the exhaust, but not quite touching. Yours may have been used by somebody to board the bike as a passenger, and simply bent them down.
                        well, upon further inspection, you are right, the left side foot peg was rewelded and the right side foot peg is bent downward

Comment

Working...
                        X