1150 stuck in 3rd gear under load

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1150 stuck in 3rd gear under load

I have a 85 1150 a that I have owned for at least 15 years, it has a slightly ported head and 1198 kit, 36 rs and so on, I put some 355 cams in it and took it to the track to see what it would run, Never had a trans problem with it before but as i was going down the track it would shift fine 1st thru third but wouldnt upshift into 4th under load, tried 3 runs but same thing, shifter linkage a little sloppy but not really bad, clutch not sticking seems ok, what direction shouid I look into to figure this out?

Probably bent or worn shifter forks.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

cracked output shafts are common on 1100/1150 but usually don't show up till in a drag chassis and or hooking real well.
      ive had them get to 3rd and not air shift any higher till i rolled off the gas and removed the load.
      a cracked shaft on a street bike seems to go unknown its entire life.

Comment

update, split cases and found nothing wrong no bent shift forks undercuts look good, no nicks in shift drum, no cracked output shaft, had an old school bike mech. look at it and he said all looks ok, im still not satisfied , anything else to look for before I put it together?

Comment

Originally posted by koto View Post
          update, split cases and found nothing wrong no bent shift forks undercuts look good, no nicks in shift drum, no cracked output shaft, had an old school bike mech. look at it and he said all looks ok, im still not satisfied , anything else to look for before I put it together?
          unless your old school mechanic has superman eyes......
          YOU HAVE TO MAGNA-FLUX THE OUTPUT SHAFT MAN!

Comment

Originally posted by blowerbike View Post
            unless your old school mechanic has superman eyes......
            YOU HAVE TO MAGNA-FLUX THE OUTPUT SHAFT MAN!
            OK Mike, but can you tell me why, if it is cracked what will it do to the operation of the trans

Comment

Originally posted by koto View Post
              OK Mike, but can you tell me why, if it is cracked what will it do to the operation of the trans
              the output shaft will look fine but when put under a load it will twist(cracked area) and not let the gear slide on the splines.
              you must have the shaft maga fluxed to know for sure if its damaged or not.
              i only mentioned this because of any GS trans i have had that would not shift out of 3rd gear...(drag strip/hard street riding)...guess what????
              the output shaft was cracked when i had it checked.

Comment

I have had the same problem. Replaced the shift forks and still it stuck. I took the counter shaft cover off and problem went away... slightly bent shift shaft was the culprit. Try that first as it's easier than splitting cases

Comment

Originally posted by madjack57754 View Post
                  I have had the same problem. Replaced the shift forks and still it stuck. I took the counter shaft cover off and problem went away... slightly bent shift shaft was the culprit. Try that first as it's easier than splitting cases
                  he already has the trans in his hands.

Comment

the output shaft will look fine but when put under a load it will twist(cracked area) and not let the gear slide on the splines.
                    you must have the shaft maga fluxed to know for sure if its damaged or not.
                    i only mentioned this because of any GS trans i have had that would not shift out of 3rd gear...(drag strip/hard street riding)...guess what????
                    the output shaft was cracked when i had it checked.
                    Still have to inspect it but this doesnt make sense to me, when im shifting, I back off the throttle and clutch it so there is no real heavy load on trans?I could see your point if power shifting

Comment

..............................ok.................. ..............

Comment

..............................ok.................. ..............
                        I took shafts apart and magnafluxed them, super clean!, I feel the gears have to much side to side wiggle, so Im replacing all bushings and bearings before I put it back in, too bad some of them are back ordered!

Comment

Working...
                        X