Petcock or ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Petcock or ???

The bike: 1980 GS750 16 valve engine (not mine)

The problem: Carbs overflowing

The attempted fix: Owner bought another set of "good" carbs, same problem.

Sounds like a petcock issue to me. He is trying to sell the bike for $750 as is. Not gonna happen I don't think but if he goes down enough I might give it a shot. Does my diagnosis sound reasonable?
    sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
    2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Well it's either the petcock or the carbs.....

Either way....it is fixable...
    Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
    '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Sounds like a carb issue which quite possiably is being exposed by a leaking petcock. Doesn't really matter which since the bike needs to be serviced anyway and both are easy to fix.

Sorry to rant here but it amazes me that so few people actually service their bikes. First thing that should be done with ANY GS purchase, regardless if whether or not it's currently a problem, is to pull off the carbs and replace all the O-rings. 25+ year old rubber O-rings that live in gasoline should be replaced since they are sure to be hard and brittle - on their last legs. It's a ticking time bomb that can easily be disarmed with a little maintenance.
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

It has been said here many, many times, ...

in order for the carbs to overflow, you must have TWO faults. The petcock must leak and the inlet valves on the carbs have to leak.

Since the problem remained, even after the carbs were changed, I would guess that the petcock leaks and BOTH sets of carbs have problems.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Ditto on 2 problems, Ditto on both easily fixed
          1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

The carb inlet valves are designed to seat and seal against the pressure applied by the fuel in the float bowls, not the head pressure generated by 4 gallons of gasoline a foot above them.

When new, they may hold against such pressure, at least for a while. But even though they may seal perfectly fine against the head pressure from the float bowl levels pretty much forever, eventually due to wearing they will not be able to suppress the pressure from gasoline in the fuel tank.

I doubt if there'd be any problems if the petcock were swtiched out. 'Tis possible it would still leak a tiny bit into the airbox if the float levels are WAY high, but as mentioned earlier, easily fixed.
            sigpic

SUZUKI:
            1978 GS1000E; 1980 GS1000G; 1982 GS650E; 1982 GS1100G; 1982 GS1100E; 1985 GS700ES
            HONDA: 1981 CB900F Super Sport
            KAWASAKI: 1981 KZ550A-2; 1984 ZX750A-2 (aka GPZ750); 1984 KZ700A-1
            YAMAHA: 1983 XJ750RK Seca

Free speech is the foundation of an open society. Each time a society bans a word or phrase it deems “offensive”, it chips away at that very foundation upon which it was built.

Comment

The guy says He is firm at $750 or will part it out on Ebay next spring. I would hate to see that happen but I do think he is too high on a bike that is unrideable.

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

Originally posted by marvinsc View Post
                The guy says He is firm at $750 or will part it out on Ebay next spring. I would hate to see that happen but I do think he is too high on a bike that is unrideable.

mention the time he'll spend stripping and fees he'll pay going e-bay. i bought my 850 w/ 15k miles for $300. keep in mind there's a better deal out there. leave him your number and be prepared to walk.

Comment

Originally posted by Griffin View Post
                  The carb inlet valves are designed to seat and seal against the pressure applied by the fuel in the float bowls, not the head pressure generated by 4 gallons of gasoline a foot above them.
                  What Griff said. It all boils do to pressure and the lift capacity of the floats. If there is more pressure at the head than the floats and seals have the capacity to hold back, your carbs are going to flood.

Replace the petcock and then clean the carbs...

Comment

I'd pay $750 for a 16V 750 with a sound engine, a title, and nothing but carb problems, anyday. I wouldn't pay more than that, but I'd pay that. especially if it's as cosmetically clean as those photos. Strip of that godawful fairing, and that disgusting luggage and sell those on ebay for $250 and you've got the bike for $500.

Comment

Originally posted by doctorgonzo View Post
                      I'd pay $750 for a 16V 750 with a sound engine, a title, and nothing but carb problems, anyday. I wouldn't pay more than that, but I'd pay that. especially if it's as cosmetically clean as those photos. Strip of that godawful fairing, and that disgusting luggage and sell those on ebay for $250 and you've got the bike for $500.

Come get it, 2 1/2 hours West of you on I-24 in Paducah KY. I can get you the guy's contact Information.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

Originally posted by marvinsc View Post
                        Come get it, 2 1/2 hours West of you on I-24 in Paducah KY. I can get you the guy's contact Information.
                        I'm on hold until I finish parting out this RF900. The ole lady has a "1 non-running bike in the garage" limit on me. If it's unsold a month or so from now I may check back with you.

Comment

Since you won't be watching the Browns on Sunday take a couple and fix the carbs. If anything you can turn the bike over for around $500.
                          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Working...
                          X