Broken carb. Any way to fix it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Broken carb. Any way to fix it?

So my dog REALLY wanted the red rag that was underneath my carbs waiting to be dipped. I had placed numerous obstacles in the way but he is persistent. Well, he pulled them off the work bench and broke one. I don't know the nomenclature of the piece but here's a pic of the carnage.

How can I fix this? Thank you all very much!

I've repaired a few like these by soldering.
    79 GS1000S
    79 GS1000S (another one)
    80 GSX750
    80 GS550
    80 CB650 cafe racer
    75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
    75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Forgot to add. They are CV carbs BS34SS to be exact. If soldering is the only way, I can probably do that, but there is an OEM hole at the point of breakage.

Comment

I have an extra carb body.
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Updated

So, i have finally figured that this piece is either called the choke circuit pickup tube or the fuel enrichment tube. Either way, mine is still broken. I tried to gently bend it straight to solder it, and as expected, it snapped off. I used the heat gun and was able to slide out the rest of the broken tube and the whole tube measures 24mm long with 5 mm of that in the carb body. Anybody know where I can order another? Or...... anyone got an extra carb they can get this out of? Thanks folks. BIG thanks to Chef for walking me through this.

Comment

Yes, that's a pickup tube. If you're careful they just simply pull out of the body which might make it easier to fix. I shouldn't think length is super critical as long as it's below the top of the fuel level in the bowl...

Dan :
            1980 GS1000G - Sold
            1978 GS1000E - Finished!
            1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
            1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
            2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
            1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
            2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Let me see if I can get one out of one of my broken carb bodies.
              1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.

Comment

The difficult bit is trying to remove them without crushing the tube flat.... Easy to tap back in.
                1980 GS1000G - Sold
                1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

I would pull it out and march over the nearest hobby store. If they are in to model planes and the like they will have a selection of small diameter brass tube that you should be able to match up.

Failing that and if you can't solder it, then you can stick it back together with a smear of epoxy putty. They now sell small tubes of it in the auto stores and it is impervious to gas ( I can confirm this as I have tested a "pebble" of it immersed in gas for 2 months with no deterioration).

looks like somebody will send you one so you might not need to fab up anything afterall.

Good luck with it.

Cheers,
                  Spyug

Comment

I used jb weld on mine. Question though- would it really matter much if you just left it off? It only picks up extra fuel when the choke is on, and the three other carbs are doing the same thing, so would one carb running lean (no choke) while the other three are choked make that much of a difference? Still should be rich enough to start it I would think...

Comment

Originally posted by C.V. View Post
                      I used jb weld on mine. Question though- would it really matter much if you just left it off? It only picks up extra fuel when the choke is on, and the three other carbs are doing the same thing, so would one carb running lean (no choke) while the other three are choked make that much of a difference? Still should be rich enough to start it I would think...
                      Problem is he only has two.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
                        Problem is he only has two.
                        Oops, didn't look close enough to see it was a 425...

Comment

i did this

i had to replace one of these this summer. i used a torch to heat the body around the pipe and it pulled out very easily. there is an almost solid plug in the end of this pipe so i held it there to avoid crushing the pipe. i have an extra carb body and would be happy to pull the pipe and send it to you! it might take a few days as i'm tied up with christmas right now... PM me if you're interested. MERRY CHRISTMAS..Randy.

Comment

He said "pull the pipe".

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
                              He said "pull the pipe".
                              Worse! He wants to send it to him!

would be happy to pull the pipe and send it to you!

Comment

Working...
                              X