Maintenance free batteries?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For what it's worth;

I have four Big Crank EXT15L's in four different bikes. The first was purchased in 2004. I do not (and have never) used a battery tender on any of them - they went into the bikes straight from the box. This time of the year (last week in fact ) I park the bikes for the winter and the batteries stay in the bikes and connected. My garage is unheated and I do not run the bikes through the winter. When spring rolls around, the bikes all fire up without any top up charging required.

I've only had to charge a Big Crank once, and that was when I came home from a ride and left the ignition and lights on and went inside.

They have an added benefit of spinning the engines over faster when starting too.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
      Yes, they say that it is charged, but when was it charged?

Even AGM batteries will self-discharge over time, so if it was charged last week or last month, it should be topped off BEFORE YOU PUT A LOAD ON IT. Even if you only install it, then turn the key on to make sure it works, that load puts a cap on the capacity. It will be very hard to get it past that point by charging it. Charge it FIRST, then turn on the key. BassCliff posted a link to one of his pages that has another link to the actual article about properly charging batteries.

I just bought a Scorpion battery, and the instructions that came with it say to check the voltage. If it's under 12.6 volts, charge before using. If it's over 12.6, it does not need to be charged.

Mine read 13.0 volts so I just ran it. I hope they're right!
      1983 GS1100E

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
        I'll admit that I don't have a Big Crank, but I've met men who do have Big Cranks, and they seem very happy with their Big Cranks.

Just say "no" to vent tubes...
        My big crank has a vent tube.

Comment

Originally posted by emjay View Post
          My big crank has a vent tube.
          Some older ones may use catheters.
          Better a big crank than a bent crank, no?
          They are re-labeled Deka batteries.
          Tony.
          '82 GS1100E

Originally posted by themess
          Only in your own mind did you refute what I wrote.

Comment

Working...
          X