Electrical system rewiring for idiots?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Electrical system rewiring for idiots?

I'm trying my hand at rewiring my bike but could use some guidence. Does anyone have any links to help me learn how to read a wiring diagram and understand the basic concept of a motorcycle electrical system? Also, any links to other people who have rewired their bikes so I can see(visuly see) how they went about doing it.

As always, any help is appreciated.

edit: Bike is a 78 GS1000
    Last edited by Guest; 12-11-2009, 03:37 PM.

What bike and where are you located?

Comment

Silly questions, Al.

Notice that he only has 37 posts to his credit. It's simply just a matter of slugging through all of them to find that, in his fifth post, he said he has a '78 1000 and lives in Atlanta, Georgia. Then, in his very first post (where he actually posted pictures ) , it appears to be a Skunk.

Now, Dr. Imodium, before you rack up a bunch more posts, please go into the User CP section (that's User Control Panel) and add your location. Then go to Edit Signature and create one. Doesn't have to be much, just " '78 1000" would do.

For all the rest of you 'new guys', please do the same thing so we don't have to play these silly games to see what you are talking about.
      Not everybody has this much time on their hands, so if they don't see what you are talking about right there, in that post, you will be ignored.
      If you are ignored, it will be a long, long time before you get your answer.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I dont have as much time on my hands so wont look for you but does basscliff have the wiring diagram for your bike?

Hmm ok you asked about reading it so must have it... but basically having a color one is a HUGE help. if you plan to rewire it all like harness thats pretty intense and could make it harder later if you dont match the wire colors and such.

Some basics would be to start at the battery (disconnect it) and follow the wires cross referencing the diagram and bike. I would say follow up to the fuse panel, disconnect and clean all those contacts and then go one fuse at a time and follow the wires, disconnect and clean all the contacts and only replace wires IF you have to. When you do make sure you use the same gauge wire and if possible same or close color.

Take your time and only take one connection apart at a time, clean it replace connectors as needed and put back, then move on.

Comment

You can slog through all the posts here and on other sites or pick up a copy of "Motorcycle Electrical Systems-Troubleshooting and Repair" by Tracy Martin published by Motorbooks (www.motorbooks.com) available through most big bookstoors.

Its a very easy read and understandable primer for all things electrical relating to bikes. It won't give you wiring diagrams but will help you understand all the components and their function and how to read the wiring diagrams.

I believe it was around $25 or so.

Invaluable aid for new wrenches IMHO.

Hope that helps.

Cheers and good luck with it.
          Spyug

Comment

Originally posted by DrImodium View Post
            I'm trying my hand at rewiring my bike but could use some guidence.
            I would say the way to gain a better understanding of the scematic and the bike wiring is to:
            1) Just looking at the schematic (not the bike): Start at the main fuse or batt+ (red), trace out from main fuse to ignition switch (red also), follow back to other fuses (org). Then trace out from each fuse one at a time (org/red, org/red, & org/wht). That would be just to gain some familiarty/understanding. Dont get to detailed at first. Just the main power and the wire from each fuse to each device, dont go beyound that, dont bother with wiring between the devices yet.
            2) Then look at bike and identify which connector on the scheamatic is which connector on the bike.
            Then, and only then: Trace out each circuit on the schematic and on the bike. Repeat 1 & 2 as often as needed to be familiar with just the power from fused to all the devices.
            Then and only then, go back and get more detailed, follow wiring inbetween the devices. And then after that the grounding (blk/wht).

I know your main question is related to how to understand the schematic.

But:

What all are you intending to replace? Or are you intending on reusing existing connectors and just splice in new lengths of wires?

Probelm with old wiring is often the connectors, either tarnished, and/or overheated and melted or brittle/broken. Which is why most people will try to find a replacement wiring harness. Other people will try to make a new wire harness with new connectors (and there are a few suippliers for that that others may recommend).

Other thing to concider is that all the devices like the instrument cluster, the t/signal swtich, and most everthing has its own little harness from the device to a connector (that plugs into the main harness). Have to decide if going to replace some of those connectors (based on condition.

Last edited by Redman; 12-11-2009, 10:58 AM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
            GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

This might help, I've copied and pasted these links and keeping them as a library. This is from Mr Basscliff himself .

http://members.dslextreme.com/users/...-ends.html#A05

You can also go the Owners threads and find one of Basscliff's super cool mega welcomes and use the links he provides.
              Last edited by Guest; 12-11-2009, 12:08 PM.

Comment

This is about a simplified as you will get... http://www.bikernet.com/garage/PageV...asp?PageID=138

Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

OK, there have been a few suggestions, here is another.

The wiring on these bikes is rather simple. Depending on the year and model of the bike, there might have been a few other items added, but they are all basically all the same. Look at the schematic, find the battery. There are two wires that connect to the positive terminal. One very heavy wire goes to the starter. The other one goes to the MAIN fuse in the fuse box. From the other side of the MAIN fuse, a wire goes to the ignition switch, then comes back to the fuse box to power the other three fuses. Newer bikes ('80 and up) have a fifth fuse for an AUX circuit, but that only powers the terminal at the end of the fuse box.

At this point, it makes it much easier to just follow one fuse at a time.
                  The first fuse powers LIGHTS. Headlight, tail light and instrument panel. Also does the circuits for the warning lights (oil pressure, neutral, etc.)
                  The second fuse powers SIGNALS. Turn signals, horn, brake lights.
                  The third fuse powers IGNITION. Also used to power the solenoid to engage the starter.

Beyond those basics, it's just following that branch of the diagram, but knowing which fuse powers what at least gives you a starting point.

sigpic
                  mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                  hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                  #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                  #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                  (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
                    I Then look at bike and identify which connector on the scheamatic is which connector on the bike.
                    Then, and only then: Trace out each circuit on the schematic and on the bike. Repeat 1 & 2 as often as needed to be familiar with just the power from fused to all the devices.
                    Then and only then, go back and get more detailed, follow wiring inbetween the devices. And then after that the grounding (blk/wht).
                    Everybody knows with a wiring harness its best to cut first and ask questions later.

Actually, I'm looking forward to figuring out why my latest 1000G has a burnt wire to the fuel gauge sending unit, and why it smokes turn signal fuses.

Good times...
                    sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Originally posted by 850 Combat View Post
                      Everybody knows with a wiring harness its best to cut first and ask questions later.

Actually, I'm looking forward to figuring out why my latest 1000G has a burnt wire to the fuel gauge sending unit, and why it smokes turn signal fuses.

Good times...
                      The harness in my 1000S was HACKED to bits by the PO so I wound up converting a 1000GL harness to replace it. Suzuki harnesses are all pretty much the same at the core, including the wire colors, so once you've done one harness the others are very similar other than the plug type and wire lengths.

The conversion process took some time of course, but once you get over the dread of stripping out the harness, it's actually pretty easy - I can remove the entire harness out of the bike in about 20 minuets now. Not the learning curve I wanted to get on, but definitely not hard once you get into it.
                      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Comment

I have the wiring diagram for my bike already along with all the links that have been posted saved in my bookmarks. My question was intended to be broad and not specific to Suzuki GS models or Suzukis in general. Im just curious to see how others have completely rewired their bikes so I can get some ideas as to how I want to go about rewiring mine. As far as existing connectors, they will all be cut and replaced with new ones (not sure if im using bullet connectors or what for those as of right now) and all of the wires will be color coded marine grade wire.

Hope that clears some things up

Comment

If you really want to do it up right go with MIL spec grade teflon coated wire. The insulation is much thinner which makes routing the wire around the bike easier, plus the insulation doesn't degrade as fast as common PVC coated wire.
                          Ed

To measure is to know.

Comment

I've done a little looking, but anybody have a bookmark for somewhere with a wide varity of color combos to rebuild with the stock wire colors?

Comment

A guy from perthstreetbikes.com is doing up a gs1000 wiring harness from scratch. The layout board is a good idea. Wish i did that before fixing mine.

Comment

Working...
                              X