Stator wiring 82 GS850GL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stator wiring 82 GS850GL

I am taking the harness out in an attempt to undo what the PO has done and in the course of this traced a set of 3 wires back to the stator, I removed the cover looking for another connector (which there is none) and I noticed one of the wires was disconnected , I went and pulled on the other 2 wires and due to a poor crimp job they came right apart. Is there a specific way these wires are to be hooked back up? They are all yellow coming from a very good looking (new) stator and brownish/tan running back so it looks like it does not matter but I would like confirmation prior to cooking anything. I also buggered the gasket a bit, should this be replaced or can I smear a little gasket goop on it and be OK? It's just to keep water out right? Thanks for the advice.

Harry,

I will be emailing you a schematic.

And then come back to explain a few things about stator to R/R wiring.

There is the stock-original wiring (as shown on schematic), and then there is the modification that most folks do. It has to with one of the stator wires that originally went up to a headlight switch (non-existant) and back to R/R.

Last edited by Redman; 12-12-2009, 12:36 PM. Reason: spelling

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

You are correct it does not matter which way you re-connect the stator leads back up. If you are referring to the stator cover gasket it does hold the oil in. If it is not torn up too bad you might be OK to re-use with it sealer but new gaskets are not very expensive and if you have to get back in there the sealer is a PITA to scrape off and makes it harder to remove the cover.
      82 GS850L - The Original http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...ePics067-1.jpg
      81 GS1000L - Brown County Hooligan http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...ivePics071.jpg
      83 GS1100L - Super Slab Machine http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...t=DCP_1887.jpg
      06 KLR650 - "The Clown Bike" http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...nt=SERally.jpg
      AKA "Mr Awesome"

Comment

Originally posted by Harry P. View Post
        I am taking the harness out in an attempt to undo what the PO has done and in the course of this traced a set of 3 wires back to the stator, I removed the cover looking for another connector (which there is none) and I noticed one of the wires was disconnected , I went and pulled on the other 2 wires and due to a poor crimp job they came right apart. Is there a specific way these wires are to be hooked back up? They are all yellow coming from a very good looking (new) stator and brownish/tan running back so it looks like it does not matter but I would like confirmation prior to cooking anything.....
        Harry,

Email sent.

Three yellow wires indicate that the stator is an aftermarket replacement, not original and not stock Suzuki replacement, which is not at all a problem. Well, other than the three wires are all yellow, and makes you wonder how to hook them up. Answer is: it doesnt matter, all three are interchangable.

AnD, no, is not any further connection/connector inside the stator cover. Harness coming from the stator is long enough to go up and around to behind the side cover. Although there is a rubber gromment type thing molded on the harness to a specific shape to fit into a specific place in the cover.

You said you took off the stator cover and then said discovered one wire disconnected. Did you mean you found one wire disconencted under the cover ?, if so that is not disconnected, it is broken.

If you are saying you found a wire disconnected up under the side cover: That is not a problem if it is the wht/red or the grn/wht wire from the bikes main wiring harnes.

The three wires (doesnt matter which) from stator should be connected as follows:
        1- to any R/R input typically yel (any other than red or black).
        2- to any R/R input typically wht/blu (any other than red or black).
        3- to any R/R input typically wht/red (any other than red or black), and leave the wht/red and the grn/wht from the main harness hanging (no connection). This (3rd) is the revised connection that most folks do and may have already been done on your bike and that is why you notice an unconnected wire.

<<<<Later note
        Now to explain what this revised connection is. First lets explain what the original is.
        The stock-original connection of the 3rd stator leg (grn/wht on Zuzuki stator) is to connect to the grn/wht wire in the main wire harness that goes up to a connector in the headlight shell, where there is a jumper (used to be headlight on-off switch prior to 1980) over to the wht/red wire that comes back thru wiring harness and then connected to the wht/red of the R/R. SO that all the current of this stator wire is going all the way up through the wiring harnes thru a jumper and back thru wiring harness back down to the R/R. So the modification most folks do is to just connect the stator directly to the R/R. The three output wires of the stator (doesnt matter which) connected directly top the three input wires of R/R (doesnt matter which, just not the red or the black).

Okay, I have some more ice to scrape.

Last edited by Redman; 12-12-2009, 01:17 PM. Reason: spelling.. add later note.

GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Very cool, thank you for the replies. The connection that came loose is under the cover where the new stator was connected to the old harness. PO or mechanic did a poor job on these and one just came apart the other 2 separated with a minimal tug on the wire. I will spring for a new gasket or make one from the roll I have . Now I need to get all new connectors from Vintage, some benzine to clean the wires and alot of heat shrink tubing.

Gears look really good inside the cover, wonder if this engine has been rebuilt and if so hopefully the mechanic was better at turning wrenches than crimping wires.

Comment

Speaking of connectors, I assume there are better ones available now I could use, not really going for original, just functional and worry free. Any suggestions? sources?

Comment

Originally posted by Harry P. View Post
              ... The connection that came loose is under the cover where the new stator was connected to the old harness. PO or mechanic did a poor job on these and one just came apart the other 2 separated with a minimal tug on the wire. ..
              Oh, That is unusall. A replacemnt stator would come with a harness . . .
              Oh, maybe the stator that was installed there was for some other bike/model and didnt have proper harness or that rubber gromment on the harness, so it was spliced right at the stator. yah, better make those a good solder connection and heat shrink since it is in the engine oil.

About replacement connectors in general: Others can recommend a good source, have seen such from time to time. Maybe a search might find something.

Last edited by Redman; 12-12-2009, 02:02 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X