GS 650 L seat swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS 650 L seat swap

The seat on my 1982 GS650GL is in pretty bad shape (cover and pan) and I can't seem to find a replacement. Will a regular GS650 seat fit on an L? Or any ideas on how to save the pan?

No the "regular" 650 pan will not fit.

Not sure how to save the pan, can't see what all is wrong with it, but replacement covers are available from a few sources.

If the foam is bad, too, you might just look up an upholsterer in your area.
    Look for one that does boats, they will more likely have the weather-resistant materials you need.

Another alternative is to get a complete foam/cover package from Travelcade.
    Last edited by Steve; 12-17-2009, 08:54 AM.
    sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Hey Steve..when I clicked on the above link, my antivirus program (avast Antivirus) detected a virus.

File name http://www.saddlemen.com/favicon.ico
      Malware type HTML:Iframe-inf

Not sure if others will have this problem.

Comment

Originally posted by almarconi View Post
        Hey Steve..when I clicked on the above link, my antivirus program (avast Antivirus) detected a virus. ...
        No problem here with my AVG and the firewalls at work.

Try going to the site directly. saddlemen.com click the ENTER button, then select "seats", then LTD seats.

sigpic
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Try going to the site directly. saddlemen.com click the ENTER button, then select "seats", then LTD seats.
          As soon as I type in www.saddlemen.com and hit enter the virus warning pops up.

Comment

Well the main problem with the pan is in the front. There are two holes where I am guessing the prongs should be. As a result, the front of the seat near the tank wiggles back and forth a lot and somethimes shifts while riding. Not the safest feeling in the world... So if I could find a fix for that I could just get a new seat cover.

Comment

Since the metal around the holes appears sound, I would cut out the bad metal and weld in some new metal. Then drill some new holes. I've seen pans that look a lot worse than yours.

Comment

Funny thing about that sheet metal - the very same thing happened to mine. Must have been some sort of design flaw. Anyway, as said above, replace the sheet metal and drill/rivet into it.

As for interchange, from the looks of it I'd say a GS1000L seat might interchange. There's a guy just a few doors down that has one, so once it warms up here Ill give it a try.

Comment

My 650GL pan looks a bit like that, I just patched it up with some metal slid under the good and bolted it in place and covered it all in a pile of gorilla glue... not the prettiest fix but its on the bottom and only is an issue if I have to take the seat off a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by rkubik View Post
                    As for interchange, from the looks of it I'd say a GS1000L seat might interchange. There's a guy just a few doors down that has one, so once it warms up here Ill give it a try.
                    I'll save you the effort. The 1000L and 850L seats will interchange, but the 650L will not.

I have both, an '82 650L and an '82 850L here, the 850 seat does NOT fit on the 650.

sigpic
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride

Comment

If it helps at all, as I underwent a seat search for my '81 550L, I've found that the '81-'82 650L seats interchange with the same year range 550L.

Comment

Thanks for all the ideas - something else to add to the winter "to-do" list.

Just out of curiousity, does anyone have a pic of what that part of the pan is supposed to look like when it's complete? If I'm going to try my hand at fabricating something, I should probably know what I'm trying to fabricate!!

Again, thanks for helping out a newb...

Comment

I'll get my daughters camera tomorrow and send ya a pic

Comment

O.K. here's a pic of the under side of my seat hope it helps

Comment

Thanks, Twisted. That helps alot. Now I know where I need to end up.

Thanks again everybody...

Comment

Working...
                              X