Bevel gears for GS1100GK: different?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bevel gears for GS1100GK: different?

O.k, i'll give this another shot...with a pic this time.
    I have a 1983 GS1100GK (touring model), and the bevel gear bearings collapsed from lack of gear oil (previous owner, not me!). I found a set of gears in a parts engine, and also bought a 1982 GS1100G (standard model) for parts. Both the outside gears from the parts engine and parts bike were identical, only the one in the touring bike is different. In the pic you see a complete gear (in the carrier with bearings) on the left, an empty carrier middle left, the parts engine gear (same as the one in the far left assembly), then my shorty oddball gear on the right. Not only is it shorter, but the splines on the inside of it that connect on the output shaft are at the wrong end, so when you assemble it all into the engine it looks right, but doesn't connect up. Veeeerrrryyyy frustrating when you don't know whats going on!
    The bearing carrier that the original 'shorty' gear came on went in the garbage ages ago, foolishly, as I was ASSUMING that the new assembly I had would fit correctly.

Question: Does anyone have a spare carrier for this 'short' gear? Even dimensions for it so I can have my existing carrier remachined to fit? A pic? Anything at all?
    I'm totally stuck if i can't find a replacement, other than to swap the complete motor out of the parts bike...

I turned the whole mess over to a machinist to figure out.

Comment

Hi Neil, I sent you a PM. As a GK owner, maybe you can help me with a problem?
      Thanks, Scot

Comment

All my years on the forum, this is the first time somone has had this problem. SO good luck and hope you get it figured out..

Comment

After looking at this with the machinisht, he is just going to remove some material from the bearing carrier so the bearings seat closer together, thus fitting the 'short' gear into the 'long' gear carrier. It'll work. It is just so weird that Suzuki even changed these parts at all - even the output shaft is about 1" shorter than the regular one. Was there ever an issue of failures with the bevel gears to begin with? Or on the GK models?

Comment

Working...
          X