Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Battery Drain Hose - Is it special?

Hey Fellas, quick question.

I need to replace the original vent hose on my battery - can I go to a hardware store and pick up any piece of flexible clear or black flexible tubing or do I need tubing made from a special material to resist heat/acid?

I think it's a low-stress, hardware store part, just double checking.

Thanks!

I don't think the battery hose is anything real special, the battery usually will come with a vinyl hose. Essentially, the hose is there in case of boil over or tip over to prevent acid from spilling everywhere. Even though they come with new hoses, I just use the one that is already installed on the bike.

I haven't upgraded to sealed batteries yet, but obviously this prevents spillover events. Eventually, my 3+ year old walmart special will give up and then I will upgrade.

Comment

Nothing special about that hose - any of the commonly available tubing will do.
      79 GS1000S
      79 GS1000S (another one)
      80 GSX750
      80 GS550
      80 CB650 cafe racer
      75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
      75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Just a quick service tip:

When you do upgrade to a sealed battery, clip two pieces of your vent hose, about an inch long each, and put them under the nuts on the battery terminals. This holds the nuts up so the bolts will grab them, but will deform with no problem when the bolt comes through the nut.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Awesome, thanks for the confirmation fellas, and, Steve, I think I'll do that on my current battery.

Comment

Just like they have said its nothing special, I have used the clear hose from the hardware and its never been a problem. Just ensure you have enough hose to get under the centre stand and swingarm so the gases/fluid don't damage your paint work, cheers.
            Shin-Ken 1074
            1982 GSX1100SXZ Wire Wheel Katana - BOM Nov 2011
            1981 GSX1135 Katana Build completed Mar 2024, Curb Weight, all fluids and 21 lt fuel = 206 kg.

Comment

I use silicone aquarium tubing. Holds up pretty well and is more flexable so it does not kink in the cold weather.
              streetfighters

Comment

Working...
              X