help! won't start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

help! won't start

my 1980 gs850 will not start The carbs are nice and clean, new gas, good spark. the carbs are getting gas but the gas is not getting to the engine. as i said, the carbs are CLEAN. when i try to start it it won't even kick, not even a sputter. the airbox is well sealed as well. i can't figure it out. any help will be appreciated!!

try a shot of starter spray. Also make sure the choke is on and working. It sounds like you recently cleaned, maybe rebuilt the carbs so maybe the choke mechanism isn't working right. The starter fluid should still kick it over. Don't over do it though. Hope it helps.
    Eddie V

Comment

Well, the first question is going to be:
      How did you clean the carbs? If you didn't take them completely apart, dip them and re-assemble with new o-rings, don't even bother to go any farther, just go back and do your carbs correctly.

Next question:
      When were the valves last adjusted? If the valves are tight (which they tend to do), the engine will be very hard to start, especially when cold. DO NOT use any starting fluid to try to get it going, it will only make it worse.

Third question:
      How are you trying to start it? Proper procedure (after priming the float bowls) is to apply full "choke", NO throttle, pull the clutch, press the starter button.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Are the spark plugs dry?
        Did you prime the carbs?
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
          Are the spark plugs dry?
          Did you prime the carbs?
          yes to both. could it be a bad vacuum line?
          Last edited by Guest; 12-19-2009, 08:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
            Are the spark plugs dry?
            Did you prime the carbs?
            Try it with the Petcock on PRI.
            82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Originally posted by bonanzadave View Post
              Try it with the Petcock on PRI.
              tried it, didn't work

Comment

the carbs are getting gas but the gas is not getting to the engine. as i said, the carbs are CLEAN. when i try to start it it won't even kick, not even a sputter.
                If after cranking several times and the plugs are dry you are not getting gas to the engine. When you cleaned the carbs did you take them completely apart?

Open up a drain screw and see if gas comes out the float bowl. Your fuel T could be clogged with dirt. If you've got gas in the float bowls your almost there. More than likely the carbs are still clogged. It's nothing personal but unless you've cleaned many many sets of carbs, it may take more than one cleaning to get everything working properly.

Comment

If you have good spark and the spark plugs are dry, you either have poor vacuum through poorly seating valves, or no fuel in the carb bowls. Do as suggested above and remove the drain plugs from the outer carbs. If you find no fuel which is my bet, you will have a blocked/faulty petcock.

With the petcock on, remove the fuel line while holding a collector under the petcock. Now turn the valve to the prime position. If fuel doesn't gush forth, you have an empty tank or a seriously blocked filter/petcock assy.

Fuel, air and heat/fire is all you need!!
                  The road to hell is paved with good intentions......................................

GS 850GN JE 894 10.5-1 pistons, Barnett Clutch, C-W 4-1, B-B MPD Ignition, Progressive suspension, Sport Demons. Sold
                  GS 850GT JE 1023 11-1 pistons. Sold
                  GS1150ES3 stock, V&H 4-1. Sold
                  GS1100GD, future resto project. Sold

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000001.jpg
                  http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000581.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by hansimusmaximus View Post
                    my 1980 gs850 will not start The carbs are nice and clean, new gas, good spark. the carbs are getting gas but the gas is not getting to the engine. as i said, the carbs are CLEAN. when i try to start it it won't even kick, not even a sputter. the airbox is well sealed as well. i can't figure it out. any help will be appreciated!!
                    Have you verified with petcock on prime that it is getting out out the petcock (no fuel line attached?) maybe ... if your petcock is not letting fuel out even on prime then you probably need a new one. You can open your gas cap as if it is not letting air in there is another problem. Nice part about motorcycles is they need only 3 things fuel, air, and ignition..seems you have eliminated two of the 3 so have at it.
                    Last edited by Guest; 12-21-2009, 08:22 AM.

Comment

LOTS of guesses about the fuel situation, but still have not heard the answer to my question:
                      Originally posted by Steve View Post
                      When were the valves last adjusted? If the valves are tight (which they tend to do), the engine will be very hard to start, especially when cold.

sigpic
                      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride
                      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                        LOTS of guesses about the fuel situation, but still have not heard the answer to my question:

I had an echo after my last response. I didn't want to do the same to you.

However, I don't think these symptoms are caused by tight valves. For the valves to be that out of adjustment, ALL of the valves would need to remain slightly open so that no cylinders produced the vacuum needed to draw fuel and air into them. This would need to be the case, as the owner has stated that he doesn't get a kick from any cylinder, even when he has confirmed good spark is present. For all valves to be partially open, their clearances would have needed to be set nearly identical, and the wear rate on the seats identical to achieve this highly unlikely result.
                        The road to hell is paved with good intentions......................................

GS 850GN JE 894 10.5-1 pistons, Barnett Clutch, C-W 4-1, B-B MPD Ignition, Progressive suspension, Sport Demons. Sold
                        GS 850GT JE 1023 11-1 pistons. Sold
                        GS1150ES3 stock, V&H 4-1. Sold
                        GS1100GD, future resto project. Sold

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000001.jpg
                        http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000581.jpg

Comment

i have no clue when the valves were last adjusted. I'm sure they're past due for an adjustment. i do have fuel in the float bowls, just put a new petcock on a few months ago. i think i'm going to get a full carb o-ring set and dip the carbs again just to rule it out. i really appreciate the replies! i'll keep ya posted as i get time to work on it. thanks!

Comment

Here's how you confirm your problem

1. Take out all 4 spark plugs
                            2. Using a small hose or syringe, put up to an ounce of gas in each cylinder
                            4. Reinstall plugs
                            5. Try to start

If it pops or tries to start, your carbs are still plugged up.
                            1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                            1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                            1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                            1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                            1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                            1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                            2007 DRz 400S
                            1999 ATK 490ES
                            1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Ignition unit or signal Generator may be bad..

Comment

Working...
                              X