Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Reall, really confused about this carb intake boot alighnment thing.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reall, really confused about this carb intake boot alighnment thing.

I put my intake boots on the other day before I read the recent thread. It seemed straightforward, two marked L on the left side and two marked R on the ride side. Turn them so the bends form a sort of S on either side and cause the "mouths" to line up in a straight line to accept the carbs.
    A little bit of lube and a little bit of wiggling and we're in.

After reading the thread, which mentions the boots should be turned so the bend turns in the vertical plain causing the carbs to sit level in the horizontal as the engine cants forward I have to look into this. All sounds good but mine doesn't look like that or any picture I've looked at. Now I'm getting confused.

So today I pull the carbs off and spend the next hour or two moving these things around in every combination I can think of. No way can these things go in as everyone suggests. Since the intake tubes cast into the head come out on angle, putting the rubber boots on curved downward doesn't allow the mouths to line up correctly for the carbs to fit.

The only thing I can think of is that I must have the wrong ones. As I didn't take these off myself (they came in a box of other parts) I don't know for certain that they came off this bike although I have no real reason to doubt it.

This is too weird.

Any other thoughts on this subject, I'd appreciate hearing them.

Cheers all.
    spyug

Spyug,

Are you referring to your Kat? If so, I could take a look at mine and try to describe the orientation of the intake boots.

Thanks,
    Joe
    IBA# 24077
    '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
    '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
    '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

Thanks Joe,

That's the bike. I thought I was all good until I read that thread then had a look at mine.

Today I've tried every way I could think of and there is no way I can see to line these things up so the carbs sit level. If I turn the bends to point downward the carbs mouths won't line up as the tubes cast in the head point them toward the centerline. The spacing is then way off. Its a big head scratcher.

The only thing I can think of is that they are not the right boots...but i thought all 750 boots were the same.

If you do have any thoughts I'd appreciate them.

cheers,
      Spyug

Comment

Originally posted by spyug View Post
        After reading the thread, which mentions the boots should be turned so the bend turns in the vertical plain causing the carbs to sit level in the horizontal as the engine cants forward I have to look into this. All sounds good but mine doesn't look like that or any picture I've looked at. Now I'm getting confused.

So today I pull the carbs off and spend the next hour or two moving these things around in every combination I can think of. No way can these things go in as everyone suggests. Since the intake tubes cast into the head come out on angle, putting the rubber boots on curved downward doesn't allow the mouths to line up correctly for the carbs to fit.

spyug
        I'm one that chimed in on that other thread saying to orient the bends down to allow the carbs to sit flat, but to be honest, I don't have a 16V bike these days so please take my comments with a grain of salt. I think the important thing is to orient the boots so you can get the carbs to slip straight in. Maybe use a straight edge.
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I think the important thing is to orient the boots so you can get the carbs to slip straight in. Maybe use a straight edge.
          That's exactly what I did and they did go in but when I read the previous thread and looked at pictures of Kats mine just didn't look right. The head and cylinder angles forward (of course) and the carbs follow the same angle.

Looking at the pics, the cylinder/head cants forward but the carbs sit level with the angle of the top surface of the block.

I just can't see anyway ( other than the way I did them) to line thes things up so the carbs sit level as described above. I've got to be missing something.

Thanks for all the help guys.

Cheers,
          Spyug

Comment

Keep the clamps loose, spray some silicon in the boot ID's, push the carb rack on & rotate each boot until it pops into place - it kinda finda a netural position & you'll know it's in the right postion...

Also, double check that the boots aren't on backwards...
            '85 GS550L - SOLD
            '85 GS550E - SOLD
            '82 GS650GL - SOLD
            '81 GS750L - SOLD
            '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
            '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
            '82 GS1100G - SOLD
            '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

Spyug,

Did you get it fixed yet? If not, some pictures would help the rest of us figure out what's going on with your bike.

Comment

Thanks for all the input guys and your interest Kaimuki. I did get it sorted and as you might suspect it was something stoopid. The boots are marked L and R and when I checked they were on the correct side but I had them turned the wrong way.

Instead of the L and R being showing the correct way when looking from the back of the engine frontward they were poinitng the other way. What I didn't realize and only figured out was that the throat size on the head side is smaller than the carbside. When I tried to squish the carbs in they wouldn't go.....then I was able to figure it out.

Once the boots were on the right way, everything goes easily into proper position.

What a twit i am some times.

Thanks again folks.
                Cheers,
                spyug

Comment

Ahhhhhh.... the ol' big, bad, backward boot buggaboo
                  '85 GS550L - SOLD
                  '85 GS550E - SOLD
                  '82 GS650GL - SOLD
                  '81 GS750L - SOLD
                  '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
                  '80 GS1100L - son's project bike