How much better is the 8" headlight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How much better is the 8" headlight

I have a working 8" headlight and I am undecided whether to swap it on to my bike or sell it. Does the 8" one put out a lot more light or does it just look cooler? Are they higher wattage?

Mine is brighter than all four on my truck. Most people call it a train light. Ya ever see the head light beam on a river barge tug ?
    82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

I don't know what other size there is, but my bike came with an 8" headlamp and .. low-beam is typical for a bike.. it sucks.

High beam.... well I can see at least a good quarter mile in front of myself.. no kidding. At least.

Nobody high beams me either when I ride with it on.. it's like nobody knew I had on my high? That or they are so used to @$$ holes high beaming them that they just ignored it... or thinking really optimistically - people were aware that it's difficult for a motorcycle rider to see at night with only 1 light so they put up with it for my safety.

How ever you slice it, this light is so good.

Comment

Originally posted by bonanzadave View Post
        Mine is brighter than all four on my truck. Most people call it a train light. Ya ever see the head light beam on a river barge tug ?
        Ok, sounds good, I have always had a hard time seeing at night with my little 6 or 7" or what ever it is. I suppose that the wattage of the bulb you put in them makes a big difference as well. Would I have to change the mounting 'ears' as well? That would mean pulling the forks out as well.
        Or can I just bend them to fit

Comment

Find yourself a 55/100W H4 bulb, or a 70/100W for a better low beam

Then run a relay to it.
          1978 GS 1000 (since new)
          1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
          1978 GS 1000 (parts)
          1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
          1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
          1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
          2007 DRz 400S
          1999 ATK 490ES
          1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
            Find yourself a 55/100W H4 bulb, or a 70/100W for a better low beam

Then run a relay to it.
            Osram Silverstar 55/60 should be plenty, really....standard draw, with up to 50% more light than regular halogens (claimed). I got a pair on ebay U.K, but they are now available here too... without the blue/white tint that the American produced Silverstars have, but brighter.

Tony.
            Last edited by Mysuzyq; 12-21-2009, 01:17 AM.
            '82 GS1100E

Originally posted by themess
            Only in your own mind did you refute what I wrote.

Comment

Originally posted by 79FiveFifty View Post
              I don't know what other size there is, but my bike came with an 8" headlamp and .. low-beam is typical for a bike.. it sucks.

High beam.... well I can see at least a good quarter mile in front of myself.. no kidding. At least.

Nobody high beams me either when I ride with it on.. it's like nobody knew I had on my high? That or they are so used to @$$ holes high beaming them that they just ignored it... or thinking really optimistically - people were aware that it's difficult for a motorcycle rider to see at night with only 1 light so they put up with it for my safety.

How ever you slice it, this light is so good.
              Oi your bike didn't come with an 8" headlamp. The bucket may be 8" across but the glass isn't. The one they are talking about only came on a few of the later models and the glass is 8" across. The bucket is over 9".

Comment

Oi is right, so if you are correct.. the light on my bike is just that good

No need to swap out for me then!

Post pics of the two lights side by side

Comment

I always get the "that thing has a huge headlight". I know they aren't talking about the wife.
                  Last edited by Guest; 12-21-2009, 09:37 PM.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by mriddle View Post
                      Nice pic of the oncoming train!

Aside from it maybe being noticably bigger to oncoming traffic, I never really noticed much difference between 7" vs 8" headlights on my various GS1100E's. If I needed to see better at night, I just flicked on the highbeams. But I don't think it's worth swapping back to a 7" unless someone offers good $ for your 8" and then buy a 7" replacement for cheap $.
                      Last edited by Guest; 12-21-2009, 10:35 AM.

Comment

Although I haven't done any research......I would say the 8" light has to throw a bigger beam due to the larger parabolic reflective surface.
                        Larry D
                        1980 GS450S
                        1981 GS450S
                        2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Working...
                        X