ok finally figured this picture thing out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ok finally figured this picture thing out

ok i think i got my pics to work right some of the dmg i found on my 82 1100 when i took off the stator cover. Makes me scared to take anything else off. bozo PO pried cover off so edges are nice and gouged and several bolts that hold the cover dont tighten all the way. they thread fine but when theyre almost tight they just spin freely

Yuck..what a mess. Is that JB Weld in the last picture?

How to you plan on fixing it?

Comment

yeah A LOT of JB weld. i dont really see the reason so much was used. on the inside you can see the faintest crack on the cover. despite being an ugly job that part is sealed good but will be replaced by another cover as soon as i can find one. i cant figure out what made the stator grind away all that though and my other big worry is the broken receptacle for the idler gear shaft (i think thats what its called) I truly believe the PO was an imbecile i already know he let a "backyard" mechanic work on it but 250 bucks was a hard deal to pass up on such a beautiful machine

Comment

If that's all you have into it, I would ask a competent welder if it can be welded and/or machined. I suppose if it can't, you should be able to pick up a some engine cases for a reasonable price.

It may not be a bad idea to inspect the crank, hammering on the rotor can't be good for it.

Comment

when i bought it the PO told me the crank was bent, so i consulted the wisdom of the GSR and was informed that most likely it could be twisted due to 82s cranks not being welded. so Im assuming thatll be on my list of fixes. Im having it taken over to a competent shop in next week or so. Not the same feeling as DIY but itll be done (engine work atleast )

Comment

That sucks man, looks like the rotor was a salvage yard part. How is the stator? I guess I got lucky with mine, there was a hole in the stator cover, but the po welded it up good. The bolts on that cover are all different sizes and if you arent careful (or lack of a brain like your po) you can bottom them out and strip them. Helicoil? or drill and tap oversize?

Comment

Yikes, that is ugly, covers are cheap and pop up on ebay all the time. I had to replace the sprocket and starter cover both my my "new" 1100 (had a SLIGHTLY better, but not much PO than yours). I think I paid 6.99 for the sprocket cover and $5 for the starter cover. I started pulling the head last night, and am slightly disturbed to see one bolt missing, and one bolt not OEM on the cam caps. That means somebody had the cams off at some point, which is a scary thought.

Comment

Yellow writing on the rotor means it came from a salvage yard, and there are hammer marks on the rotor, meaning it was not removed very gently.

The magnets in the rotor are chewed up on one side, that would be consistent with the end of the crankshaft being bent so that the rotor wobbles. There should be corresponding wear marks on the stator.

What probably happened is that the bike was laid down hard on the left side, and the impact shattered the original stator cover and hit the original rotor enough to bend the end of the crankshaft. After all those were replaced, those replacement parts were getting chewed up by the wobbly rotor, so the PO started the bike without the stator cover on to see the wobble. This is what cracked your idle gear shaft support (it needs support from the cover). The stripped bolts just comes from inexperience.

So I would guess your crankshaft is bent on the end, not twisted. You can verify that with a dial indicator on the crank end as you turn the motor by hand.

Comment

I may consider another motor.
                  1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                  1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Yeah not something Im looking forward to if necessary. Gonna be pricey But I kinda expected such possibilities for the price tag. And besides...if thats the case..you guys will be seeing a lot more of me...hehe. My 850 is looking more and more like the bike thatll be fixed first.

Comment

Well, inspite of what Ed posted in Theo's thread, your motor has been rendered into scrap.

The cost to fix that case and crank outweigh a used motor. I doubt that any used motor could be worse off that yours.

Yours was supposed to be in "running" condition when you bought it?
                      1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                      1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                      1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                      1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                      1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                      1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                      2007 DRz 400S
                      1999 ATK 490ES
                      1994 DR 350SES

Comment

I'd find another engine & drop it in.... preferably one you can hear running or know is good.

1980 GS1000G - Sold
                        1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                        1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                        1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                        2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                        1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                        2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Yeah it was in "running" condition. Guy cranked it up when i bought it and it fired right up, however i heard a strange whirring sound so i immediately cut it off. Got it home and realized there was no oil in it...no oil at all. So...now the search for a non F-ed up 1100 motor ,that doesnt cost me a fortune, begins.

Comment

Originally posted by Ta2Mike View Post
                            Yeah it was in "running" condition. Guy cranked it up when i bought it and it fired right up, however i heard a strange whirring sound so i immediately cut it off. Got it home and realized there was no oil in it...no oil at all. So...now the search for a non F-ed up 1100 motor ,that doesnt cost me a fortune, begins.
                            There's a complete bottom end, and a complete engine both on ebay right now. The engine is dreamland overpriced I think, but if bottom end is within pick up distance think he only wants about $200 for it.

Comment

It ran?
                              Wow
                              Maybe you can get the port for the idle starter gear pin fixed, check the crank and replace the charging rotor.
                              A few heli-coils for the crank case covers is easy peasy.
                              Also pull the oil pan and see what suprises are inside. Hopefully not the Cracker Jack variety.
                              1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                              1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Working...
                              X