GSX1100S Katana rim sizes...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GSX1100S Katana rim sizes...

Does anyone know the exact rim sizes fitted to the wire wheels on the early Canadian and Australian Katana's?

I've tracked down hubs (thanks Chuck!) and I know the rim's diameter - 19' front, 18' rear, but I can't find any info about how wide they were.

I can fit a number of rim widths given the space available under the guards and between the swing-arm, but I want the correct OEM sizes to make it look as original as possible.

Thanks
    Paul

Originally posted by pmcburney View Post
    Does anyone know the exact rim sizes fitted to the wire wheels on the early Canadian and Australian Katana's?

I've tracked down hubs (thanks Chuck!) and I know the rim's diameter - 19' front, 18' rear, but I can't find any info about how wide they were.

I can fit a number of rim widths given the space available under the guards and between the swing-arm, but I want the correct OEM sizes to make it look as original as possible.

Thanks
    Paul
    Paul,

First, the spoke wheel Kat's are SOOOOO COOOOOL! Try sending a PM to Shin-Ken 1074. He has an Aussie spoke wheel Kat that he's restoring. He knows as much about them as anyone here. I got the below pic from him....

Thanks,
    Joe
    Last edited by Joe Nardy; 12-22-2009, 12:57 AM.
    IBA# 24077
    '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
    '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
    '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

kat rims....

you could try suzyiworld in adelaide...or my best bet would be mick hone in box hill ,and ask for steve in spare parts ,,he,s been there 20yrs.. he knows everything about suzi... regards david

Comment

God that Kat is so gorgeous.

Comment

It must be personal preference, but spokes dont look any good to me.

Comment

Originally posted by gearhead13 View Post
            I thik they look a little odd too. Here's a set for sale (aftermarket?);

Comment

Beautiful bike no question. Is that the $16K bike?

Like some of the others, I'm not sure the wires look correct on a sportbike and especially one with that distinctive profile. I think I prefer the "mag" wheels of the 83 and later. I don't really like the 'snowflake' style of those on my 82 either. To me they don't look right .

Spyug

Comment

Originally posted by spyug View Post
                Beautiful bike no question. Is that the $16K bike?

Like some of the others, I'm not sure the wires look correct on a sportbike and especially one with that distinctive profile. I think I prefer the "mag" wheels of the 83 and later. I don't really like the 'snowflake' style of those on my 82 either. To me they don't look right .

Spyug
                I love the way the Bandit/RF900 3 spoke mags look on my EZ, modern rubber the #1 reason for doing it, but a close second is how good they look.

I actually like the spokes on that particular bike (the Kat above). It's unusual, but I like it.

Comment

2.5x18 and 1.85 x 19

Comment

Sharpy is on the money there with the rim size. 19 x 1.85 and 18 x 2.50 were the standard road size rims fitted ex factory. Australian, South Africian and New Zealand (not sure about Canadian model) Katana rims were made by Takasago in Japan and are made of alloy, not steel as fitted to the earlier GS models.

P.S. No, the pic Joe has posted here is not my Katana, I wish it was!!! I hope my restoration turns out as good as the photo, I'd be happy with the result.
                    Shin-Ken 1074
                    1982 GSX1100SXZ Wire Wheel Katana - BOM Nov 2011
                    1981 GSX1135 Katana Build completed Mar 2024, Curb Weight, all fluids and 21 lt fuel = 206 kg.

Comment

Originally posted by gearhead13 View Post
                      The factory race bikes were wire wheeled too, originally.....the company sold a batch of these to the public for homologation purposes, to legally race them as production bikes. Shin-Ken probably has accurate info, but I think they differed quite a bit from the 'regular' Kats, with hotter cams, slide carbs etc and made around 120 hp. Wire wheeled perhaps, for a weight advantage, or choice of rubber.
                      Tony.
                      '82 GS1100E

Originally posted by themess
                      Only in your own mind did you refute what I wrote.

Comment

Originally posted by Mysuzyq View Post
                        The factory race bikes were wire wheeled too, originally.....the company sold a batch of these to the public for homologation purposes, to legally race them as production bikes. Shin-Ken probably has accurate info, but I think they differed quite a bit from the 'regular' Kats, with hotter cams, slide carbs etc and made around 120 hp. Wire wheeled perhaps, for a weight advantage, or choice of rubber.
                        Tony.
                        Tony,

The Factory 'wire wheel specials' were known as the GSX1100SXZ.

They had a completely different frame numbering system and were, as you say, a bit different in a couple of areas.
                        AFAIK, the wire wheels were fitted specifically for racing as a weight advantage over the alloys (and were possibly stronger as well), and for the greater tyre choices especially for the rear wheel.

Also, thanks for the replies from everyone on this.
                        I've done the research and it appears it might be cheaper for me to buy a complete set rather than get a set made .

Prices quoted to me for the individual components:
                        Rims - $353 (R), $329 (F)
                        Spokes - $360 (straight stainless) $440 (stepped stainless)
                        Assembly and truing - $176

That's over $1200 before I add the cost of the hubs and tyres .
                        I always knew it would be expensive...

Now, where's my eBay login...

Cheers
                        Paul

Comment

You in OZ and if so where abouts. My mate runs Ash spokewheelzs

Comment

I got to about $900 from Buchanan's in Cali if you supply your own hubs... I was tempted but that was a little rich for my tastes.

I was going to get a wider rim size so I could fit radials....

Dan
                            1980 GS1000G - Sold
                            1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                            1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                            1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                            2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                            1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                            2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
                              I got to about $900 from Buchanan's in Cali if you supply your own hubs... I was tempted but that was a little rich for my tastes.

I was going to get a wider rim size so I could fit radials....

Dan
                              You can use the rear rim on the front and get a 4.25x18 (or 17) for the rear.works like a charm

Comment

Working...
                              X