Decision Making!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Decision Making!!!!

Guys i need help with this... didn't know if i should put this under road ready bikes b/c its not i was wondering if you guys think i should pick this one up in a trade for my GS 300 (great running condition). I really this love the color + the model.

Would it be worth it to trade my 300 for this:

Any comments welcome!

Thanks

A few things that popped into my mind since it has been sitting for 23 years.. most rubber parts are probably hard and will need replaced. Calipers are probably in need of rebuilds. What condition are the caliper pistons in as far as rust and pitting. There is a lot that can be wrong just from sitting and not used. I would suspect the engine and trans are probably fine internally. thats just a few things i would be thinking about. Guess its all subjective as to what you want, if your current bike is in better usable shape now.. if you have some expendable PROJECT cash to spend... just my thoughts..carbs gonna need to be 100% torn down and rebuilt...what condition is the inside of the tank in..after 23 years you can bet its rusty and will be in need of coating.. petcock might need cleaned or rebuilt..( rubber diaphram britle??) lots to consider.
    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Thank you for your words of wisdom! i hadnt even thought about all the rubber parts needing replacement.

I really like the model of the bike... but maybe i'll just have to wait for a better one to come to me

Any opinions about the price any1?

Comment

Until I rode it down the road that, in my opinion, is a two hundred dollar bike.
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

I'm a sucker for a blue bike with spokes. I had a 77 gs 400 and bought it new. I loved the style of the tank and rear cowl. If I was closer I'd look at it. 10k miles is pretty low. If the tank and bodywork were in real good shape I'd be tempted. Paperwork in order? I'm speaking from the perspective of someone who really likes that style and it was the last year of that styling. The only year for the 425, I think? Body parts might be hard to find, if needed. 1980 they bumped it up to 450, no spokes and the styling went to a more angular line. I doubt there is much demand for the bike as a collectable. Mostly from those who want a cheap bike or like me. It's a matter how much power is enough and the style you want. If it was sitting in front of me and I had the money I'd offer on it.... and if it was really clean I'd probally take it home and sell my 450. Assuming the engine wasn't froze and looked like I could get it going.

It's a bad bargining position to buy a bike, that you really like the color, style, ect....Where is that location? Oregon? Woops, I hear my wife.....Offer him 3 0r 400 and see where it goes... It's probally has no value to anyone but me. Let me know what you do. Good luck!

cg

P.S not everyone needs 1100cc's
          sigpic
          83 GS1100g
          2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

he's asking too much. It's a small bike, doesn't run, buyer's market, and it's winter. If it's in good cosmetic shape, $300 is reasonable. there's a lot of money it needs to get road worthy, you might as well look elsewhere.

Comment

Thats what i figured. He sent me more pics showing the header had some surface rust. I decided to pass. If i found a gs that i really liked (like i did this one) but was in working order, i would just sell my 300 and get that one.

Paperwork was in order but the bike was not worth my gs 300 or even $750.

Thanks for all the help guys!
              Last edited by Guest; 12-22-2009, 09:56 PM.

Comment

I'm in agreement with the others. It could be a nice bike but it will need a fair bit of work to get it there. If you read my post on "Nickelling and diming the budget to death" this is the sort of project where it can run away with you as these little rubber bits and ****s add up quickly and thats before you get to tires, brakes, chain, bearings and seals etc..

Do you even know if the engine turns over? Ran when it was parked means nothing after 20 odd years. It could well be seized and then you can be into way more dollars.

As it sits I'd be thinking $200/300 max. If it runs and has a clear title $500/600.

Don't want to burst your bubble but many of us have been there and done that and we don't like seeing others possibly stung. We all tend to look at the first or second new project with rose coloured glasses but do a few of them and you'll learn how to weigh up the pros and cons of undertaking a particular resto.

Let us know if you go ahead with it.

Good luck,
                spyug

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie G View Post
                  P.S not everyone needs 1100cc's
                  Was that for me?
                  1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                  1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Why no , .

cg
                    sigpic
                    83 GS1100g

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

haha im a high school student. I know i cannot handle anything above 500 cc's, but i love gs's...the bigger gs's seem like they are more common but i got my 300

Comment

Good choice. Take your time to step up. Develope those riding skills and don't be in a hurry to get "that" bigger bike. Shop wise.

cg
                        sigpic
                        83 GS1100g

Comment

Good sensible head on your shoulders....your parents have done well.

Too many young fellas want to run before they can walk and they just can't wait to jump on the biggest crotch rocket and shoot themselves in to oblivion. Starting small is best to pick up the skills you need to survive. Working on your bikes is a great way to learn other skills that will serve you well in life and also, importantly, give you the confidence in knowing the bike is safe and working properly.

Kudos to you young buddy.

Cheers,
                          Spyug

Comment

Working...
                          X