Where does Oil Gallery Jet go?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where does Oil Gallery Jet go?

Okay Shafty people...I need some help. I stated a post on the Starter Clutch for our GS1100GKE. I have had some real good help from the members, but I need help identifying the purpose of this part and where it fits into the motor. On this motor, the crankcase cover that holds the stator shows a part as Item #3 in the drawing. The pics I took of the actual part are below. The P/N is #09403-22009. The part is called, "jet, oil gallery." Apparently this part is not used on the chain drive engines.

On working on our starter clutch, this jet fell on the floor after the third or fourth time we removed the cover. I have inspected the cover thoroughly and I cannot see a location where it came from. I also inspected the engine case behind the starter gears and I see no obvious place. I looked into the oil gallery - you can see through it from one side of the engine to the other. There are holes feeding the oil gallery but they are too small for this part to have fit in them. There what appears to be an oil feed hole near the idler gear between the starter and the large gear. This hole is almost diamond shaped. Perhaps the jet fit there and the diamond shape is from the jet being broken off? If so, the small nipple went into the hole because the larger end is bigger than the diamond shaped hole.

The oil gallery connects to the crankcase cover through a hole in the gasket...but the oil gallery continuation in the cover is a deadend. Maybe We have a cover from a chain drive bike?

We have the starter clutch ready to go, but I am afraid to put the engine in service without knowing what this jet does and where it goes.

Can anyone help? Anyone have a gear drive crankcase cover they can look at. Or to look at the oil feed hole near the idler gear?

Thanks, Scot

Shafties...No help?

We really need some help with this. No one knows where this little part goes or what it does?

Scot

Comment

I believe the stator cover is the same between the G and E model, but you can go to one of the many on-line parts fishe and compare part numbers if you want to be sure.

Sorry but I've never worked on a shaft drive 1000 other than to strip one down to parts. That jet could have bounced around inside the engine and simply came to rest in the stator cover. Is there an oil feed into the clutch cover on that model? Not sure what to suggest other than look for places where it could go.
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Thanks, Ed. I also wondered if the little orifice simply came to rest in the stator cover...but Steve pointed out the part as #3 on the fische for my bike's crankcase cover. So, I am guessing it came from that side of our engine. All the covers I have seen on-line have an extension to the oil gallery that goes through the gasket and into the cover. It appears to be a dead end ... ours certainly is. (I thought maybe the jet spayed oil on the stator for cooling from the oil gallery...but it doesn't.)

I have looked through four service manuals on line for my bike and chain models trying to find some reference to it. That part appears in Shafties, but not Chainers. Seems odd that there'd be a part on the fische and absolutely no mention of taking it off our installing it in the manuals.

At the moment, my best guess is the jet somehow used to fit into the oiling hole just to the left of the idler gears between the starter and the starter clutch (big) gear. That hole on our motor is irregular...diamond shaped like something broke off of it. If that is the case, then the jet would have pointed straight up! And it would have been very vulnerable and that doesn't seem reasonable for such a well designed engine.

Anyway, thanks for the reply. Maybe someone who has a shaft engine will read this and know the answer.

Cheers and Merry Christmas! Scot

Comment

Shameless bump!

Comment

Scot, not sure but this jet could be fitted to the oil feed galley, into the clutch.

The '79 850 shafties had a large oil feed gallery that feed oil down through the actuation rod casting, through the release rack and into the clutch basket. This model suffered severe clutch drag when the engine was cold through this and the fact that the basket trapped too much oil during engine operation.
            Later model release racks had a smaller hole through them, thus seriously restricting the oil input to the clutch. They also had more/larger holes in the basket assy allowing oil to flow through the basket faster.

These mods worked, but caused the oil seal on the actuation rod to leak, due to the increased pressure upstream of the restricted release rack. Suzuki later remedied this by fitting an oil jet into the gallery where it flowed from the crankcase gallery, at around #8 position on the drawing above.

I don't know whether the GS1100G suffered the same fate as the 850's. Just a possibility.
            Last edited by 49er; 12-28-2009, 05:45 PM. Reason: Typo corrections
            The road to hell is paved with good intentions......................................

GS 850GN JE 894 10.5-1 pistons, Barnett Clutch, C-W 4-1, B-B MPD Ignition, Progressive suspension, Sport Demons. Sold
            GS 850GT JE 1023 11-1 pistons. Sold
            GS1150ES3 stock, V&H 4-1. Sold
            GS1100GD, future resto project. Sold

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000001.jpg
            http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000581.jpg

Comment

Thanks 49er. TitanNeil has a GK and he motor is apart on the left side and he's taking off the clutch today. The stator side is as I described with the diamond hole providing oil to the idler gear...no jet there. The oil gallery in the cover is a dead end...just like mine.
              I asked him to look at the clutch side to see if the isn't a restriction/oil jet/ feed orifice in there. I was thinking perhaps at the right end of the oil gallery.

Anyway, so far I am concluding the part doesn't come from the stator cover area. When I get done with this, I'll write it up for everyone with pics, etc.

Thanks for you help.

Anyone with other ideas...when can use 'em.

Cheers, Scot

Comment

I pulled the stator cover yesterday to see if there was a jet there - I have the same diamond-shaped oil feed hole that Scot has on his bike. No sign anywhere around that side of the engine that this jet could have come from. The clutch is already apart, so I looked all around there as well - no dice. Either this 'jet' came off of some other machine (Suzuki factory tooling? Rare!) or it is from some place deep inside the engine. I'm no expert, but I have the same bike and couldn't find a source of this jet either visible on the engine or in the pics in my repair manual.

Comment

Just to close this out...I concluded the "jet, oil gallery" part did not come from this motor...or at least under the stator cover. Thanks to TitanNeil for his help who had a like motor on the bench and looked at both sides of the motor in detail. Nothing like the "jet" in his motor either.

I rebuilt the starter clutch and put the motor back together. Starts and runs great; my son just finished a round trip from Clearwater to Orlando, 90 miles each way, and the bike ran without a glitch the entire way.

By the way, he got 36 mpg driving 70 to 75 the whole way and little bit around town in Orlando. Is this about right for this bike?

Below are some pics of the diamond-shaped oiling hole near the starter clutch idler gear. Look for my post on the starter clutch rebuild in a few days.

Thanks to all for your help. Happy New Year!

Scotty

Comment

Originally posted by Scot Thompson View Post
                    Just to close this out...I concluded the "jet, oil gallery" part did not come from this motor...or at least under the stator cover. Thanks to TitanNeil for his help who had a like motor on the bench and looked at both sides of the motor in detail. Nothing like the "jet" in his motor either.

I rebuilt the starter clutch and put the motor back together. Starts and runs great; my son just finished a round trip from Clearwater to Orlando, 90 miles each way, and the bike ran without a glitch the entire way.

By the way, he got 36 mpg driving 70 to 75 the whole way and little bit around town in Orlando. Is this about right for this bike?

Below are some pics of the diamond-shaped oiling hole near the starter clutch idler gear. Look for my post on the starter clutch rebuild in a few days.

Thanks to all for your help. Happy New Year!

Scotty

That's about right on the MPG. I would hope for 40+ on the highway.
                    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Working...
                    X