Starved?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starved?

Hi all, just wanted some folks to check my reasoning on this one.

Just finished installing the dynojet stage3 kit on my carbs after installing pods and 4-1 exhaust on '82 750EZ. it rips and runs awesome, until... I get up on the freeway.

Right around 60mph the engine pulses and hesitates to accelerate. Eventually, after running at that speed for some time, it loses power and dies as if it was out of gas. Switched to "PRI" and it will keep going without dying, albeit a jerky, scary ride. (I discovered this yesterday, on Christmas, on a 30 mile drive up an icey mountain highway... no fun)

I'm thinking this is a petcock issue. The new jets are asking for more fuel than the petcock can deliver and the engine is starving out, right? I'm sure it's about time to replace it anyways.

Suggestions on good places to order a new one?

Originally posted by jonmasaya View Post
    Hi all, just wanted some folks to check my reasoning on this one.

Just finished installing the dynojet stage3 kit on my carbs after installing pods and 4-1 exhaust on '82 750EZ. it rips and runs awesome, until... I get up on the freeway.

Right around 60mph the engine pulses and hesitates to accelerate. Eventually, after running at that speed for some time, it loses power and dies as if it was out of gas. Switched to "PRI" and it will keep going without dying, albeit a jerky, scary ride. (I discovered this yesterday, on Christmas, on a 30 mile drive up an icey mountain highway... no fun)

I'm thinking this is a petcock issue. The new jets are asking for more fuel than the petcock can deliver and the engine is starving out, right? I'm sure it's about time to replace it anyways.

Suggestions on good places to order a new one?
    Right ; sounds like the petcock. Z-1 has OEM like replacements. A thread about these recently.

Good job on jet kit. Should run to redline without any hesitation

Comment

What jets and which notch on the needle did you use?
      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Make sure the fuel tank vents are working

Comment

Is there an in-line fuel filter?? If so, lose it...
          '85 GS550L - SOLD
          '85 GS550E - SOLD
          '82 GS650GL - SOLD
          '81 GS750L - SOLD
          '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
          '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
          '82 GS1100G - SOLD
          '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
            What jets and which notch on the needle did you use?
            I used the 130 jets in the kit. Clip is on the 4th notch from the top with two washers below it. Was considering lowering the needle...

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1 View Post
              Make sure the fuel tank vents are working
              Not sure. Is there a way of checking them?

Also, not using any inline filters.

Comment

If you run it again and it dies, pull the gas cap and listen for a sucking sound when you open it.
                Did you install tha main air jet correctors that are in the kit? the little brass ones that you are supposed to glue in?

Comment

I used the 130 jets in the kit. Clip is on the 4th notch from the top with two washers below it. Was considering lowering the needle...
                  You want to lean it?
                  Why the washers under the clip? That doesn't do anything.
                  1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                  1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by gearhead13 View Post
                    If you run it again and it dies, pull the gas cap and listen for a sucking sound when you open it.
                    Did you install tha main air jet correctors that are in the kit? the little brass ones that you are supposed to glue in?
                    Pretty sure I'm getting a good flow through the gas cap nothing looks worn or damaged, but I will try and check it again.

I definitely installed the brass air restrictors.

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
                    You want to lean it?
                    Why the washers under the clip? That doesn't do anything.
                    I'm just copying the diagram in the DynoJet instructions. Seen here. The washers keep the needle a little higher I believe.

Troubleshooting guide for the kit also suggests lowering the needle if you get performance issues at higher RPMs.

Comment

Pretty sure I'm getting a good flow through the gas cap nothing looks worn or damaged, but I will try and check it again.
                      I definitely installed the brass air restrictors.
                      I'm just copying the diagram in the DynoJet instructions. Seen here. The washers keep the needle a little higher I believe.

Troubleshooting guide for the kit also suggests lowering the needle if you get performance issues at higher RPMs.
                      Right, one washer (usually bigger) goes below the clip for the spring to puch up evenly, but only washers above the clip make any difference in the needle position. The kit comes with washers so you can add a washer above the clip to lower the needle 1/2 notch.

2. Install the Dynojet needles on groove #4, using all stock spacers. Install the
                      Dynojet washers above the E-clip.

Comment

Ah ok, well I think I did that. I just copied the picture. Haha. I also get confused with what's "above" and "below". Regardless, I doubt a millimeter change in the needle height is causing my problems. It's definitely a major fuel starvation issue.

Comment

why are you crazies up in WA state trying to ride motorcycles in the winter with ice on the roads...

it's the altitude :P not the fuel problem, I mean you being dizzy and thinking riding on ice is ok!

Be safe

Comment

I live just across the water from washington state and it was 8C and sunny here today, saw several motorcycles on the highway

Comment

I dunno about you guys, but I love riding on these cold, crisp days. Air is fresh and we have spectacular views of the mountains here in Seattle.

Sure as hell beats riding in the rain.

Comment

Working...
                              X