cam chain tensioner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cam chain tensioner

I'm in the middle of re-building the carbs and there was alot of crud between #2 and #3. Looks like leaking from the cam chain tensioner, so i figure I'll change the seals while I'm here.

I looked over this link: http://www.bwringer.com/gs/camchaintens.html from bikecliff. I'm fuzzy on steps 6 and 12, removing and re-installing the tensioner. Any extra advice out there or will it be obvious when I get there as how to take apart and put back together that section?

you're right I did mine and it is a little confusing, but take your time and it will make sense after you see the parts apart and check the picture closely. terrylee

Comment

It will be pretty clear. You need tension on that external wound spring to keep the tesioner, ummm, tensioning. The knob goes on in 180 degree increments. Once you get the locknut on the end loosened and removed, you can pull the knob off and count the number of 1/2 turns of tension which were there. When you put the knob back on you need to re-load the tension. I put two turns total on mine on reassembly, as it was making lots of unnerving racket.

Comment

Hi,

In addition to Mr. bwringer's fine tutorial, I have collected this information also...

Cam Chain Tensioner Repair
        Reset Cam Chain Tensioner

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

it's getting alot clearer. these links help with verifying proper operation...nice

Comment

i discovered why the tensioner might be leaking; no gasket between the assembly and the cylinders, duh. PO's

is there anyplace that has pre-packed re-build o-ring/gasket kits for the tensioner assemblies?

Comment

Don't think so - at least in my time here I've never heard of such a thing. If you're trying to order the parts from some place that won't let you enter the part #'s blind, I think the seals and o-rings are all on the 84 GS1150 cam chain fiche. For the gasket you should use the fiche for your model and year, as the gasket pattern changes. Or just finish off a box of cereal...

Comment

Originally posted by mike_of_bbg View Post
                Or just finish off a box of cereal...
                i'd be content with a cereal box-it works in a pinch. there is a little leaking from the tensioning shaft, also.

Comment

Working...
                X