Trouble fitting Yosh exhaust.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trouble fitting Yosh exhaust.

I am trying to get the engine ready to fire and have spent the morning trying to wiggle the Yosh exhaust into position with no luck. I bought this bike as a rolling chassis with most parts including the exhaust in boxes. I don't know for certain ( although the PO told me) that this pipe came off this bike. There were no studs in the head so I put in stock ones but it seems they are about 1/2" too short as I cant get enough thread through the clamp to start a nut.

What I'm wondering is does anyone know if longer than stock studs are needed for these pipes or am I just not getting the pipes in correctly. To add to my difficulties the the exhaust system is complete front to back so it is hard to "persuade" things into position.

As always I appreciate all thoughts and comments.

Cheers,
    spyug

Originally posted by spyug View Post
    I am trying to get the engine ready to fire and have spent the morning trying to wiggle the Yosh exhaust into position with no luck. I bought this bike as a rolling chassis with most parts including the exhaust in boxes. I don't know for certain ( although the PO told me) that this pipe came off this bike. There were no studs in the head so I put in stock ones but it seems they are about 1/2" too short as I cant get enough thread through the clamp to start a nut.

What I'm wondering is does anyone know if longer than stock studs are needed for these pipes or am I just not getting the pipes in correctly. To add to my difficulties the the exhaust system is complete front to back so it is hard to "persuade" things into position.

As always I appreciate all thoughts and comments.

Cheers,
    spyug
    yup your gonna need longer studs for that yoshi pipe in fact you'll need longer studs for just about all aftermarket pipes have fun and good luck

Comment

If you don't need to take the header off for routine oil/filter changes, just use bolts.....studs are good to prevent anything untoward happening with frequent removal. Check too, that there aren't multiple exhaust gaskets in there.
      '82 GS1100E

Originally posted by themess
      Only in your own mind did you refute what I wrote.

Comment

Suzuki used studs for the exhaust attachment? All the bikes I've seen use bolts.
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Check too, that there aren't multiple exhaust gaskets in there.
          Bingo.

Good lesson to learn never assume (Jeez I should know by now) always check .

I guess too much eggnog makes me stoopid.

The exhaust is pretty but it is going to be a pain as it runs right in front of the oil filter, down under the drain bolt and comes out by the center stand mounts ( so I can't run a stand). It also makes putting up on the lift difficult, I'm going to have to fab up some mounts to grab the frame. It could be a bit of a bitch as there is only a little bit of clearance under the frame as it is. Fun and games.

Thanks guys.
          spyug
          Last edited by Guest; 12-28-2009, 05:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by spyug View Post
            Bingo.

Good lesson to learn never assume (Jeez I should know by now) always check .

I guess too much eggnog makes me stoopid.

The exhaust is pretty but it is going to be a pain as it runs right in front of the oil filter, down under the drain bolt and comes out by the center stand mounts ( so I can't run a stand). It also makes putting up on the lift difficult, I'm going to have to fab up some mounts to grab the frame. It could be a bit of a bitch as there is only a little bit of clearance under the frame as it is. Fun and games.

Thanks guys.
            spyug
            Hi spyug, yeah have the same issue with the aftermarket headers on the Katana. To access the oil filter and drain plug the headers and muffler can have to be removed. Using allen head bolts to replace the studs makes things easy, and dropping the whole system off takes about 3 minutes (9 bolts total). Your centre stand being out of the picture makes things just that little bit awkward when your away from the liftstand, cheers.
            Shin-Ken 1074
            1982 GSX1100SXZ Wire Wheel Katana - BOM Nov 2011
            1981 GSX1135 Katana Build completed Mar 2024, Curb Weight, all fluids and 21 lt fuel = 206 kg.

Comment

Working...
            X