Top speed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Top speed

How fast are your bikes going,I mean when everything is in order: Carbs,Valves,Igniton and so on?????

The fastest I've gone on my '82 was around 105Mph/169 kph; with throttle left to spare.
    De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Fast enough....

My meter burried at 85mph still pulling...It is a motorcycle and I know its fast I do not have to prove that to anyone as I like myself in one piece....I'd like to think that is because I'm smart enough to know better and that I do not want to be lumped in with those other idiots that do wheelies and other BS on the interstate...so not worth it...end rant.

...I did my test on a empty highway with new blacktop and no one else was around to see me....so no calling me on that one

Comment

How fast have I gone on my stock 1981 GS650G?
        Fast enough for my balls to shrink up!
        Speedo said 165+, couldn't read it very well, bike was a little buzzy going over the previously unkown washboard-esque section in the road which prompted me to let off.
        Needless to say, most GS's will go as fast as you need, and much faster than you should be going.

In any case, no need to rush. Most bikes are fast enough that you can beat the ambulance to the scene of the accident by a good half hour.

Comment

Few people know. The speedes were known for not being very accurate, like Macguiver's. There are people everywhere that think if the speedo says 100 mph, the bike is actually going that fast, but don't be fooled, it could be moer or it could be less. Best way to be sure to be sure, a drag strip, or a police radar, or possibly a GOOD GPS. Just my opinion
          1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Macguyyer forgot to mention that it was kph, not mph. He lives up north.

Comment

143 mph........top of 4th gear....at 10K rpm
              Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
              '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Originally posted by Tompasio View Post
                How fast are your bikes going,I mean when everything is in order: Carbs,Valves,Igniton and so on?????
                About speed limit plus 5 or 10.

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Gotta love 85 MPH speedos. On the G I've been pegged against the post at 85 several thousand RPM before I made the shift into 5th. I'd guess top speed is between 120 and 130, but doubt I will ever find out. As I've talked about before I'm an acceleration guy. I'm all about getting to 100+ as fast as possible, with no great desire to stay there very long once I get there.

Comment

I have to agree, I love my 85 mph speedo. I get a kick out of how long it takes to drop back below 85 after a spirited run. Not that I condone these speed runs, but occasionally, you just gotta air it out.

Comment

Stock '79 GS1000 and it does around 127mph on GPS at 8,000rpm at an elevation of 3,000ft.
                      '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

How fast?

I've had my gs 750 up to the 85mph on the speedo, I pushed it a little further then backed off,too many idiots in sleds thinkin' I'm trying to race them,(What race?).Go GO GO! doctorgonzo! I love it!

Comment

I have had my bike with the old engine up to 180-190 km/h in top gear at 8k rpm or so, cruising for an hour at 140-150 Any more than 190 and it get a bit hairy/scary. Pretty sure it would do 200-210 if I would hold it open that long.

Comment

With two-up and gear for the weekend the Katana has been up to 225 kph, solo with no gear on board the needle has indicated 236 kph. I have had the speedo calibrated by a Police radar (caught speeding) and what the ticket showed was what I had on the dial at the time. Of course this would have been conducted on a closed road under strict supervision and performed by trained and qualified blah, blah, blah, so don't try this blah, blah, blah, cheers.
                            Shin-Ken 1074
                            1982 GSX1100SXZ Wire Wheel Katana - BOM Nov 2011
                            1981 GSX1135 Katana Build completed Mar 2024, Curb Weight, all fluids and 21 lt fuel = 206 kg.

Comment

Originally posted by Shin-Ken 1074 View Post
                              With two-up and gear for the weekend the Katana has been up to 225 kph, solo with no gear on board the needle has indicated 236 kph. I have had the speedo calibrated by a Police radar (caught speeding) and what the ticket showed was what I had on the dial at the time. Of course this would have been conducted on a closed road under strict supervision and performed by trained and qualified blah, blah, blah, so don't try this blah, blah, blah, cheers.
                              What rpm would your motor do at those speeds?
                              I get a little nervous running mine at 8-9.5k rpm for longer periods

Comment

Working...
                              X