Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No Fender

Hello,
    I have a dented front fender, is it ok to to ride around with out one until i fix this one/get a new one?(its rubbing against the tire) ANy special precaution when I disconnect the brake lin egoing though their to get the fender off? Thankls,
    DG
    Last edited by Guest; 01-02-2010, 07:47 PM.

No problem, lots of choppers and bobbers without them. The only issues maybe a) overzealous cops b) stones and road debry shot at your legs.

I rode my tracker that way for awhile until a chunk of gravel put a divot in my shin. From then on, I always put them back on.

Ride safe.

Spyug

Comment

Hi,

Can you roll out or hammer out the dent?

If you disconnect the brake line you'll have to bleed the air out of the system again.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

When you bleed brakes do you use on eof the vacum tools for it? IF so, which one?
        Thanks,

Comment

I don't have a fender on my GS. It doesn't have a lot of things it used to have though. Wet roads can be a little annoying without the fender.

Comment

If the tire is being rubbed by the fender, it has to come off and get repaired/replaced if you want a fender on the front. Anything rubbing your tires is bad and can wear through surprisingly fast. Can you show us a pic of the area so we can recommend a procedure?

Is it a plastic or metal fender?

Depending on the type of fender, you may not need to disconnect the brake line to remove it, depends on if it is held by a rubber stanchion, or ran through the fender itself. If it is held in place with a stanchion, you can remove the stanchion from the fender by simply pulling it outward. Mind you I have seen ones held in by a bolt and washer from the inside, so check to see how the line is secured and get back to us.
            Pictures help a lot.

Metal fenders can be reshaped easily enough with the right tools, same goes for plastic ones.

Metal fender - roll press is best, but hammer and shaped drifts can be used with good results. Depending on the depth of the dent, different methods may be required. May need to heat up the metal, or may merely need a good smack with a drift.

Plastic fender - usually a heat gun and an oven mitt are all that is required to press the dent out. Heat up the area around the outside of the dent, moving inward in a circular motion until really warm to the touch using the heat gun, or a really bitchin' hair dryer. Not too hot, don't want to melt it, just make it more easily persuaded to return to normal shape. Press the dent out from the center using the oven mitt. It should almost "pop" out once you get it past the point where the forces holding it "in" are overpowered by the applied pressure and the forces pulling it back to proper shape.

I can help more if I see pictures of what we are dealing with. hint hint

Comment

I'm still trying to picture what BRAKE LINE is going through the fender.

I know the speedo drive goes through a loop on the side of the fender, but no brake lines.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                I'm still trying to picture what BRAKE LINE is going through the fender.

I know the speedo drive goes through a loop on the side of the fender, but no brake lines.

Very true, we need to see what is going on here so we can give the best advice we can.
                Pics please!

Comment

Working...
                X