battery maintainer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

battery maintainer

Was wondering if this would be good enough to use for maintaining my battery over the winter.

Harbor Freight buys their top quality tools from the same factories that supply our competitors. We cut out the middleman and pass the savings to you!

or even this one

Harbor Freight buys their top quality tools from the same factories that supply our competitors. We cut out the middleman and pass the savings to you!
    Last edited by kparkfan; 01-03-2010, 02:34 AM.
    I didnt do it I swear !!

--------------------------
    1982 GS850G

1980 GS1100L

If you want to go cheap then why not this one?

cycle gear has Yuasa ones down to 30 bucks right now too. Never used that harbour freight one but the yuasa is good.
    1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Tenders

I bought 6 of these in October from HF @ $5.99 each. Of coarse I check them every couple of days with a volt meter to make sure that they are doing there job. Cheap is cheap, but...... as time goes on they are working fine with no problems. Bob

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=42

Comment

Absorbed Glass Mat batteries

Just a heads up, these batteries don't seem to lose voltage very quickly. I left the battery in my DR, haven't ridden it in over a month, and it still shows 12.80 VDC, just as it did when I check it a month ago. Wish I would have known this when I put a new battery in the GS. My Bandit came with one, new.
        Bob K

Comment

Originally posted by robertkreidler View Post
          Just a heads up, these batteries don't seem to lose voltage very quickly. I left the battery in my DR, haven't ridden it in over a month, and it still shows 12.80 VDC, just as it did when I check it a month ago. Wish I would have known this when I put a new battery in the GS. My Bandit came with one, new.
          Bob K
          AGM is the way to go, I just last week replaced the factory original AGM in my 2003 SV1KN because it was starting to get weak by the meter. it still cranked the bike over nice and fast but the rest voltage was down to 12.3 and cranking voltage was dropping to 10.5.
          almost seven years old and it had been run dead several times but always took a charge.

I replaced it with a cyclegear lifetime warranty AGM battery so in theory I will never have to buy anouther battery for it.

Comment

Kpark, for the same money, you can get the Shumacher Battery Companion at Wal-Mart. I have several of them and they do quite well.

If you don't like shopping at Wal-Mart, you can get the same unit with a Die Hard label at Sears, but it will cost you an additional $10.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

hey i love to shop at wolly world lol. i'll check there. thanks for the heads up steve
              I didnt do it I swear !!

1982 GS850G

1980 GS1100L

Comment

I have the Schumacher 1.5a maintainer / charger. $30 from Kragen. It seems good but I did read a story on here of a guy who's garage burnt down due to a fault with one!

Seems they also have the battery tender on offer too..... I saw the Yuasa one at the store. It's essentially the same but 0.9a instead of 0.7a

Sometimes it's better to go with a known unit... $20 is not a lot of money for something you can trust
                Last edited by salty_monk; 01-04-2010, 01:59 AM.
                1980 GS1000G - Sold
                1978 GS1000E - Finished!

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

aybe i should go with a better one being as they will be hooked up in the basement of my house. dont need no house fires thats for sure.
                  I didnt do it I swear !!

1982 GS850G

1980 GS1100L

Comment

$20 is pretty cheap peace of mind. I'm nervous about leaving mine on after hearing the story but I've done it a few times now which does give me some confidence in it.

Dan
                    1980 GS1000G - Sold
                    1978 GS1000E - Finished!

Comment

All these threads remind me to charge my batteries up... still sitting on the shelf.

Comment

I'd rather go with a battery tender junior from deltran. I cooked a couple of batteries with the cheap ones from harbor freight.

Comment

Working...
                        X